Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: any lawyers in the house?
hellbent345

posted on 15/8/11 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
any lawyers in the house?

Hi guys,

I'm in a bit of a pickle and everyone I would normally ask is off on holiday! So I shall ask the font of all knowledge!

Me and my lady needed a flat to move into midway through august, so we started looking for places early june - found one we liked, paid the fee to hold the property and set about getting the niceties sorted. So we have a few issues getting guarantors sorted, eventually we were told everything is 'PERFECT' (letting agents words) and we made plans to move out of our current places into this one. Now, 3 days before we were due to move in they have phoned us and told us that they can't let us the flat anymore as our guarantor doesn't earn enough (they earn circa 28000) - we were told that our guarantors were fine, also no option to find a better guarantor! So now we are really up sh*t creek without a paddle as we have roomfuls of stuff we need to move out of our current place, nowhere to stay while we look for a new place and the possibility that everything good has gone and we will have to settle for something crap.

What i need to know is how much would it cost/is it worth pursuing this in the courts etc. for the amount of money we are going to have to pay to find a new place when we were ready and waiting to move into this place in 3 days time

Hope someone out there can help me!

Thanks Al

blakep82

posted on 15/8/11 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
do you have anything in writing from the letting agents saying everything was agreed and 'perfect'? if its in writing they shouldn't be pulling out now

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

cliftyhanger

posted on 15/8/11 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
Not a laywer, but having spoken to a couple as friends in the past the general consensus is avoid the courts.
Besides, on what basis are you thinking of pursuing them? breach of contract? What are your losses? I doubt the verbal confirmation will be adequate, besides it may have been a "it looks all................"
You need to find another guarantor PDQ if you ask me, or find another agent. A pain but that's the only advise I can offer.

And I hope something better does turn up too.

hellbent345

posted on 15/8/11 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
We had emails from the guy we were originally dealing with with those exact words :s Suddenly the guy goes on holiday, they investigate our request to pay what we were originally quoted (ie deposit and a months rent, as they wanted us to pay deposit and 6 weeks rent as we are moving in halfway through a month ?!) and have apparently discovered that our guarantor doesnt earn enough to cover us. I think the guy sent us an email saying that as I earned, that our guarantor would only need to earn around 25k or something like that, otherwise we wouldnt have used the guarantor that we did. Possibly that was discussed over the phone though.

edit to say : our guarantor earns just below 28, and for our flat they apparently need a guarantor that would earn around 28.5 or something similarly very close to the amount she does actually earn

[Edited on 15/8/11 by hellbent345]

hellbent345

posted on 15/8/11 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
its just we are going to have to find some way of storing our stuff, then staying in a b&b for however long while we try and find a new place which will be the loss of a fair bit, and then the annoyance of having to settle for a crap house cos we have to move in asap. At the moment we have just enough to cover the deposit and rent the first company were looking for, so if we have to use some of that money to store our stuff and live in a b&b or whatever, we arent going to have enough to have any house at all, thats my major issue. I don't start my job till september and wont get my first paycheck till then, so we have to live off what we have for 6 weeks :S I would be ok with borrowing some money from family etc as long as I thought I could get it back, but otherwise :/ theyve just cost us a lot

[Edited on 15/8/11 by hellbent345]

Confused but excited.

posted on 15/8/11 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
Trading Standards?

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

James

posted on 15/8/11 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
Have you definately tried every avenue of negotiation? Explain to the agency they'll lose a 'sale' (and more money whilst another tenant is found) and that the garantor is so close it's worth the risk.
Could you get a letter from garantors boss saying they'll get a payrise soon to take it to £28.5k?

Could you offer to increase your deposit to compensate for the garantors money?

It must be possible to come some sort of a compromise to keep everyone happy? Afterall, this is only a 'rule' it's not the law!

If that doesn't work, it's time to turn down the reasonable/polite a little and up the shouting!

I'm no expert in renting homes... but don't forget, at the book says: Everything is Negotiable!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Irony

posted on 15/8/11 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
Last time I rented a property the letting agent asked for a guarantor and I just told him not to be so silly. I said 'who in their right mind would guarantee to pay somebodies rent incase they default'. The letting agent put up a bit of a argument and I just said 'sorry I'll have to walk away then because I am not going to be able to find a guarantor'. He backed down and let me rent the place without.

I think the whole guarantor thing is stupid. When you rent your property out you take a risk. Thats what being in business is 'a risk'. Its just businesses trying to cover their bottoms and the end consumer takes the hit.

mrwibble

posted on 15/8/11 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
Last time I rented a property the letting agent asked for a guarantor and I just told him not to be so silly. I said 'who in their right mind would guarantee to pay somebodies rent incase they default'. The letting agent put up a bit of a argument and I just said 'sorry I'll have to walk away then because I am not going to be able to find a guarantor'. He backed down and let me rent the place without.

I think the whole guarantor thing is stupid. When you rent your property out you take a risk. Thats what being in business is 'a risk'. Its just businesses trying to cover their bottoms and the end consumer takes the hit.

if i was renting a house i'd want every assurance that someone is going to pay the rent, i know of a person who rented out a very expensive property and the family haven't paid any rent for some time, the police don't want to know, shes up sh*t creek, with the mortgage company breathing down her neck.

however to lose a sale for sake of arbitrary criteria is also stupid, you've got to talk to the agent, get the manager on the phone perhaps, and explain they've dropped u in the turds 3 days before your meant to move. it sounds like someone being a complete jobsworth. if that doesn't happen, i'd be threatening to stand outside the office with a placard!

at the end of the day the landlord is going to want someone in that flat.

just a thought, but perhaps you've been guzumped and its all bs by the letting agent.

[Edited on 15/8/11 by mrwibble]

slingshot2000

posted on 15/8/11 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
Might be worth contacting the actual owner and not the agent. Explain to them whats happened, names and times and see what they say. I know what I would be doing if one of my properties/tenants was being dicked about like this.
You should be able to find owners name and address from the Land Registy, cost me £7.00 last time I did a search with them.

Hope you get sorted.

Regards
Jon

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.