slingshot2000

posted on 21/8/11 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
BBC2 now!

Grand Prix; the Killer Years.

Reagards
Jon

craig1410

posted on 22/8/11 at 12:29 AM Reply With Quote
Wow, I only saw the last 30 mins but the crash at the end was harrowing to say the least. The sense of despair from David Purley as he failed to save his compatriot from the fire was palpable. Brought a tear to my eye I'm not too proud to say...

Glad we don't have scenes like that these days. I'm not sure I could be a fan of F1 at that cost.

Craig.

blakep82

posted on 22/8/11 at 12:29 AM Reply With Quote
very interesting!
i know a lot of people on here hold chapman as a hero, but after watching that, he was a complete to$$er imho...
'add lightness' yeah, but don't add weakness! especially on important things like steering collumns...
no regard for his drivers. not impressed with the man now lol

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

bmseven

posted on 22/8/11 at 06:16 AM Reply With Quote
+1 On Chapman

BMW 7 Resource
Bures Pit anyone?

onenastyviper

posted on 22/8/11 at 06:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bmseven
+1 On Chapman

Perhaps Chapman was just a little too "performance" focused?

blakep82

posted on 22/8/11 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by onenastyviper
quote:
Originally posted by bmseven
+1 On Chapman

Perhaps Chapman was just a little too "performance" focused?

based on that program, his cars were just plain dangerous, just about everyone talking on the program said 'lethal'
think they said he never went to any of the drivers funerals, and never admitted his cars or design were at fault
worth a watch on iplayer

[Edited on 22/8/11 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

RK

posted on 22/8/11 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
Not to go on bashing him or anything, but Chapman did not build the Lotus 7 for us to enjoy. He designed it to make money for his race team. Nothing wrong with that, but that doesn't make him a God.
blakep82

posted on 22/8/11 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RK
Not to go on bashing him or anything, but Chapman did not build the Lotus 7 for us to enjoy. He designed it to make money for his race team. Nothing wrong with that, but that doesn't make him a God.

thats what i think too, and after seeing his thing of taking 'add lightness' to the extreme, i don't think he was a genius, more accidental. he didn't seem to know what he was doing was in many cases lethal lol

scootz

posted on 22/8/11 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
I think it's fair to say that no-one held a gun to the drivers heads and told them that they must drive it!

It's Evolution Baby!

bonzoronnie

posted on 22/8/11 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
I think it's fair to say that no-one held a gun to the drivers heads and told them that they must drive it!

Very long Q to drive a race winning car I dare say

[Edited on 22/8/11 by bonzoronnie]

Liam

posted on 22/8/11 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
Think I've seen that before - was it on at the beginning of this F1 season?

Yes it's shocking the standards of, and attitudes towards, health and safety in those days, but it was the same in practically every other industry. Chapman was a product of his era and worked within the constraints of his era. I think it's unfair to judge him against modern safety standards and conclude he was some kind of monster with scant disregard for human life. He pushed the limits such as was deemed acceptable at the time. In Brunel's time a significant proportion of manual labour would be so certain to lose their lives during a major engineering/construction project that it was literally considered a known and acceptable cost to the project. Times change. Brunel is still a god. Chapman is still a god!

[Edited on 22/8/11 by Liam]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.