Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Repairable?
aka_shortie

posted on 22/8/11 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
Repairable?

Guys, im after some suggestions on the best way to repair this exhaust pipe that has snapped off just before the rear box. Normally i would just replace the whole exhaust but it is on Mrs shortie's car which is currently up for sale and in light that the value of the vehicle is pretty low, spending £200 etc on an exhaust that we wont get back on the sale is a bit annoying.

So, is it repairable (temp fix)? And if it is, whats the best way to do it?

Thanks for any suggestions.

sprouts-car

posted on 22/8/11 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote

simples

Build blog

big_wasa

posted on 22/8/11 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
Thats shagged you won't make a safe repair that will last more than two minutes.
Miks15

posted on 22/8/11 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
got a welder?

I cut back the bits that are knakered to good pipe and clean up the box end and weld in a new short straight section.

HowardB

posted on 22/8/11 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
having done the tin can version, which lasted as long as the rest of the car, I would still recommend a welded section for peace of mind and, easier to sell if the prospective buyer looks underneath,....

hth

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

AndyGT

posted on 22/8/11 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
I think it is possible to repair with a welder and some patience. MAYBE it will be possible to buy a pipe reducer which will slide into the cat/silencer a cm or 2 and then sleeve over the old pipe section. Weld around the reducer and that will probably last a good couple of years again depending on the abuse it gets....

EDIT: Not in the UK but gives you the idea: linky

[Edited on 22/8/11 by AndyGT]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
twybrow

posted on 22/8/11 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
fibre glass will sort that...! it will smoke for the first heat cycle, but then it will settle down and be absolutely fine for ages... Just support the backbox, and then wrap the wetted out fibreglass around the joint, and smooth it down to ensure a seal.
splitrivet

posted on 22/8/11 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AndyGT
I think it is possible to repair with a welder and some patience. MAYBE it will be possible to buy a pipe reducer which will slide into the cat/silencer a cm or 2 and then sleeve over the old pipe section. Weld around the reducer and that will probably last a good couple of years again depending on the abuse it gets....

EDIT: Not in the UK but gives you the idea: linky

[Edited on 22/8/11 by AndyGT]

Ive used this method a number of times and its lasted yonks, trouble with your one is its on a bend.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

Liam

posted on 22/8/11 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't have thought there's enough there to use any sort of jubilee clip-on repair thingy. I've welded something exactly like that before by cutting some little bits of strip to 'bridge' the crap edge and welding them on - say little 5-10mm bits cut off some 30mm strip, enough to go all round the pipe.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Triton

posted on 22/8/11 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
fibre glass will sort that...! it will smoke for the first heat cycle, but then it will settle down and be absolutely fine for ages... Just support the backbox, and then wrap the wetted out fibreglass around the joint, and smooth it down to ensure a seal.

Gets my vote but use woven tape as it's a lot easier to wrap around the joint as doesn't fall apart like chopped strand will..

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

r1_pete

posted on 22/8/11 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
How about a tight fitting tube inside to take the strain, and then the above methods to seal it......
Peteff

posted on 22/8/11 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Plenty of metal on the box to weld to so you should be able to sleeve it back to the pipe. Get down to the exhaust centre skip and find slightly larger pipe and slot it then use fire gum and a clamp.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

aka_shortie

posted on 22/8/11 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the advice guys.

Are we serious about using fiber glass or am i being blagged? Will it withstand the heat etc?

loggyboy

posted on 23/8/11 at 02:13 AM Reply With Quote
£200, is it a ferrari?

Last few times ive bought back boxes/midsections theyve been about £15-35

twybrow

posted on 25/8/11 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aka_shortie
Cheers for the advice guys.

Are we serious about using fiber glass or am i being blagged? Will it withstand the heat etc?

100% serious.... It will be just fine. How many people have fibreglass bodywork very very close to a red hot exhasut header with no problem? This is much further back, so much cooler, and will be just fine.

Agree with Triton though, that woven tapes are a lot easier to wrap as they dont fall apart like CSM.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.