Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: CBS Wiring Module: Sides, Dipped & Main Beam
BigMac

posted on 26/8/11 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
CBS Wiring Module: Sides, Dipped & Main Beam

Hi Guys

I'm in the process of using the CBS wiring module to wire up the Westy, have a question around wiring in the three light settings- sides, dipped and main beams.

The module only has one output for headlights, it shows the live feed connected to a DPDT switch with Sides and Dipped, but no main beam? I got it working last night so that the sides and dipped come on together, then the main beam comes on using another switch. Problem is, I don't know how to get the dipped beam to turn off when you hit the high beam switch?

My ideal situation is a switch for each of the 3 states- sides, dipped and main beam. I have three SPST toggle switches, just no idea how to wire them in from the one live. Am especially confused as to how you get the dipped beam to cut when the main beams are switched on!

Any help or advice here would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Ben.

TimC

posted on 26/8/11 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Call CBS...?

BigMac

posted on 26/8/11 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimC
Call CBS...?

Tried the number but it was engaged, figured I'd ask here, see if anyone had any immediate ideas!

big-vee-twin

posted on 26/8/11 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Think you need to use change over relays, my car has one relay for high and one for dipped.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

daviep

posted on 26/8/11 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
Wire the dip beam through the normally closed set of contacts on a standard relay and then energize the relay from the main beam feed to switch off the dip beam.

Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

David Jenkins

posted on 27/8/11 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
The switch you already know about has 3 states - off, sidelights, headlights - the 'headlights' connection goes to the dip switch (either on the column or on the dash) which is a change-over switch. When the headlight feed is on, the dip switch sends it to the dipped or full-beam outputs, according to where the switch is set.

If you are using a dash toggle switch then you don't need a relay, but if using a column switch (e.g. Sierra) then you may or may not need one (it varies according to type).

Let me know if this still doesn't make sense (it's late!) and I'll dig out a diagram (or do a rough sketch).

BigMac

posted on 28/8/11 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies guys, have tried the change-over switch and works perfectly! Thanks for the other suggestions, too!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.