Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tell the neighbours, or not?
antimony

posted on 26/8/11 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
Tell the neighbours, or not?

I’m finally getting to the stage when I can realistically start planning a huge new garage. I want a 4 bay garage / car port which will need planning permission. We live in the beautiful Cheshire countryside and the only people who would possibly object are our direct neighbours, nobody else will see it or even know it exists. We get on well with our neighbours but planning proposals can bring out the NIMBY in all of us.
However, my neighbour is being sent abroad for 6 months with his work, so they intend to rent out their house for the 6 months.
Would it be a bit underhand and sneaky to get the planning and build done when they are away or should I be upfront with them before they leave?
What would you do?

coozer

posted on 26/8/11 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
When you submit the plans they send letters out to the neighbours anyway. Best to go round and ask him so you know where you stand and any future disputes. Ultimately its up to the planners anyway.

Just thought, have you asked the planners? It may be that planning permission isn't required, just building regs...

[Edited on 26/8/11 by coozer]

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

mrwibble

posted on 26/8/11 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
is it going to ruin the view out of their house? either way, you've got to tell them, you might not tell them quite how big. def wouldn't gamble on it being done before they get back, planning can take forever.
scootz

posted on 26/8/11 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
Of course you tell them! Only a sh*tbag would be sneaky!

It's Evolution Baby!

jabbahutt

posted on 26/8/11 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
As you're lucky enought to get on with your neighbours I'd be upfront and tell them.

steve m

posted on 26/8/11 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
I was told years ago, that if it was designed and named as a boat house, you can legally build it were ever you you like
I know of two guys that have done exactly that,

Steve

antimony

posted on 26/8/11 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
Just to clarify, our neighbours will just about be able to see it from their upstairs rooms if they hang out of the windows and look far right. The hedge is already high enough to obscure most of my proposed garage.

Being well over 30m2 I'm sure it will need planning.

Miks15

posted on 26/8/11 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
Yeh as said tell them, If what your saying is true then they should have no reason to object.
mrwibble

posted on 26/8/11 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jabbahutt
As you're lucky enought to get on with your neighbours I'd be upfront and tell them.

absolutely, almost nothing worse than pissed off neighbours. they might be pissed off anyway, but at least you tried... can't think they can have too much to complain at, if they can't see it. get the builders in when they;re away and they don't even have building noise to contend with...

[Edited on 26/8/11 by mrwibble]

mistergrumpy

posted on 26/8/11 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
I agree generally with what's been said. There's nowt worse than rubbish neighbours. You come home and want to relax, not be arguing and eyeing up what next doors are doing. Run it by them and it may speed things up later on in the planning permission stage.
designer

posted on 26/8/11 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
Always tell them, take some drawings around.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dusty

posted on 26/8/11 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Would it be a bit underhand and sneaky to get the planning and build done when they are away or should I be upfront with them before they leave?
Yes and yes. Can you think of any good reason not to tell them before they go. If they don't mind then no problem. If they do mind then you have the discussion up front, apply for permission and they have the option to suck it up or formally lodge an objection with the council and abide by it's decision. You also have to abide by the councils decision. Or do you think the council may not give permission if they formally object. If so and you try to keep them out of the loop so you can slip it through council you neighbourly relations are going to be shredded.

karlak

posted on 26/8/11 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Agreed with many of the above.

Tell those potentially affected by it, even if they are not going to get planning letters. Either way, like it or not they can still complain or not when the planning letters come round. What they can never do though is say that you were ignorant enough not to forewarn them, no matter what the planning outcome.

A neighbour and "mate" did it to me once. First I knew that my view from the back garden was going to be spoilt was when a planner letter landed on my doorstep. First he knew I objected was when he saw my objection in the planners details back to him. He was pi$$ed off that I didnt go and discuss it with him, but didnt seem to see my view that I had to go to planners offices in my time and pay for a copy of the plans etc. Have moved elsewhere in the village now, but it certainly soured our upto then pretty good relationship.

Go see you neighbours, give them a copy of your plans.. That is what I would do

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

fazerruss

posted on 26/8/11 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by antimony
Just to clarify, our neighbours will just about be able to see it from their upstairs rooms if they hang out of the windows and look far right. The hedge is already high enough to obscure most of my proposed garage.

Being well over 30m2 I'm sure it will need planning.

My garage is nearly 40m2 and didn't need planning permision

"if assholes could fly this place would be an airport"

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.