Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Which paint for chassis - POR15 or Epoxy Mastic 121???
birdii

posted on 31/8/11 at 06:32 AM Reply With Quote
Which paint for chassis - POR15 or Epoxy Mastic 121???

Hi,
Can't make up my mind which paint to go for on my chassis, POR15 or Epoxy 121?

Prices seem similar when you add up all the extra bits of cleaner and metal prep etc required with the POR15.

I do have all the supllies for POR15 but not quite enough for the complete job, if i did go for the epoxy instead then the POR15 i have could be used up on restoring all the donor parts so nothing wasted.

Opinions welcome from anyone who has used either of the paint systems please?

Cheers
Dan

David Jenkins

posted on 31/8/11 at 07:06 AM Reply With Quote
The thing to remember with POR-15 is it isn't a topcoat - it will discolour with exposure to UV light. However, it is a *very good* base-coat if applied properly. I used it on my roll bar, over-painted with semi-matt spray paint, and it has survived knocks and scrapes very well.

Peteff

posted on 31/8/11 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
Aldi had their excellent £4.99 a litre metal care paint in last Sunday, nip in and see if there's any left. It really is good stuff.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

rusty nuts

posted on 31/8/11 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for POR15, used it a couple of years ago when I rebuilt my car after the powder coating fell off in sheets, followed it with Hardnose paint which dried with almost no brush marks and still looks as new
birdii

posted on 5/9/11 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
Well i decided to use the POR15 as voted and i am pretty happy with the results!

I used a small roller where possible and the finish is excellent, so good that the second coat was extremely difficult to see where i had been and not get runs on the super glossy finish.

This photo doesn't really do it justice, the gloss and flash combined spoil the way the photo has come out:

[img] Painted Chassis
Painted Chassis
[/img]

For information to anyone else buying por15 i used about 2/3rds of a litre to paint the chassis twice. I would recommend two colours to guarantee 100% coverage on the second coat.

Just got the finish coat to paint on the exposed pieces, probably will end up doing most of the chassis while i'm at it.

As for the aldi paint, i have tried this before on the garage door and didn't find that it covered very well, i used loads of paint to get a decent finish. I also painted a test piece of 25mm box and found that the paint chipped pretty easy at the slightest knock but i guess if the budget is tight then its a good buy, its probably similar to hammerite but a fraction of the cost.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.