Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I hate computers sometimes!!!
speedyxjs

posted on 2/9/11 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
I hate computers sometimes!!!

I think my computer picked up a virus. AVG said the subscription had expired so i went online to try and redownload it but found i couldn't get on to any antivirus sites. I tried to download the likes of spybot but it wouldn't let me install anything so restarted my computer in safe mode and now it wont start. Just sees to be on a loop on startup

I lent my brother my only XP copy and he doesn't think he knows where it is. Before i buy a new Pc, is there anything i can try to get it sorted?

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 2/9/11 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
Remove the failing HDD, and just get a new one? Then you can externally re-format the old one and either re-use it or keep as a spare. This does however mean you'll need to re-install Windows or similar, but I'm sure someone on here could help with that. I had an old PC like that, so removed said offending article, put it in an external caddy, bought a new, bigger HDD. I grabbed all the important bits off the old one, re-formatted it, and now use it as a backup for important docs.

Else, you could always just use a data eradication tool on it, and start afresh using the current drive. Blancco (expensive, but certified) eradicates all data, and allows for re-use.

Personally, I'd go with option A, which would also allow you to potentially try and get back any importnat information you have on your current drive, before re-using it.

2p successfully added!

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

BenB

posted on 2/9/11 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
It does sounds like a virus doesn't it! Immediate thoughts would be a bootable linux CD-ROM with a built in virus scanner and /or the good old windows restore option.
speedyxjs

posted on 2/9/11 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
It does sounds like a virus doesn't it! Immediate thoughts would be a bootable linux CD-ROM with a built in virus scanner and /or the good old windows restore option.

Never heard of that. Where do i get one?

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

BenB

posted on 2/9/11 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
quote:
Originally posted by BenB

Never heard of that. Where do i get one?

On the Windows XP disk. Borrocks. Didn't read your last line on the original post....

David Jenkins

posted on 2/9/11 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
The linux disk would be a good option - you can examine the disk and the virus can't interfere.

Trouble is... I've seen them somewhere, but can't remember where!

[Edited on 2/9/11 by David Jenkins]

Mr Whippy

posted on 2/9/11 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
I use only the free version of AVG and it has been more than up to the task

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 2/9/11 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
If you go onto the Avira website from another PC you can down load an up to date (either as ann exe or ISO image) a bootable System Rescue CD virus checker remover, burn this to cd/dvd using Nero or similar and boot the infected PC from the CD/DVD. The Avira CD based scanner runs in its own copy of Linux entire from the CD and memory so is immune to anything lurking on you Windows HD.

Avria Downloads Rescue CD Virus Remover

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

RichardK

posted on 2/9/11 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
Sometimes the eset online scanner can help too

Linky

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.