Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Flippin 'eck,,, How heavy
karlak

posted on 4/9/11 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Flippin 'eck,,, How heavy

I remember seeing the paperwork when I bought my MK Indy that it had a not of the weight.

Found it out today and nearly fell over when I saw on the VOSA approval certificate the following -

Axle 1 - 400 KG
Axle 2 - 550 KG

Gross Weigt - 950 KG.

Now I know it had a Pinto in but bloomin 'eck.

Luckily, I then found the actual SVA brake/weight Distribution Report.

Without Driver -

Axle 1 - 340 KG
Axle 2 - 306 KG

So, I am guessing that this was the tested weight and the top is the Vehicle approval for max weight on the road.

I didnt think 646 KG was too bad for a Pinto engined car without any trick bits and I think it had some heavier Wheels than it does now as well.

Will be interesting to see what it is when I have the Duratec in. I guess that is at least 40kg lighter than the Pinto and that does not include the saving in the Alloy Bellhousing as well. I can see how chasing the lightness could become an obsession

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

jacko

posted on 4/9/11 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
And cost lots and lots of money for that little bit of extra power
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
big_wasa

posted on 4/9/11 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Those are design weights not the actual weight.
iank

posted on 4/9/11 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Yes the first two are the design weights, the second ones are the ones they measured. BUT sadly you can't just add those and get an accurate figure for the weight of the car as they only weigh one end at a time. Only way is a weighbridge (usually within 10kg) or cornerweight scales which you can add up as they are on all 4 wheels at once.

If you are really picky about weight then you want a BEC (and fwd or mid-engine to save the weight of the prop and sierra diff). Then you can start the real work (down to chopping each bolt down to exactly the right length).

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Fred W B

posted on 4/9/11 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
Just for the sake of the discussion, you could weigh each end of a car separately and add them to get the total, provided the car is exactly horizontal when on the scales.

If you had access to two wheel scales, you could use a jack and a sprit level to level the car to get an accurate weight for the front and rear.

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

iank

posted on 4/9/11 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fred W B
Just for the sake of the discussion, you could weigh each end of a car separately and add them to get the total, provided the car is exactly horizontal when on the scales.

If you had access to two wheel scales, you could use a jack and a sprit level to level the car to get an accurate weight for the front and rear.

Cheers

Fred W B

Indeed - I simplified the discussion, but the SVA/IVA machines don't keep the car horizontal so the figures you get on the forms can't be simply added unfortunately.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

greggors84

posted on 4/9/11 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
They are the weights MK give you in the build manual, I think if they weigh the car at SVA at its over the design weights its a fail. They give you ridiculously high weights to be safe.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

matt_gsxr

posted on 4/9/11 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
quote:
Originally posted by Fred W B

Cheers

Fred W B

Indeed - I simplified the discussion, but the SVA/IVA machines don't keep the car horizontal so the figures you get on the forms can't be simply added unfortunately.

The good news is that the IVA rollers are normally lower than the ground level, so if you do add up the weights from each end you will OVER estimate the weight of your car (think of it as tipping the centre of mass towards the lower axle). So you are lighter already.

Matt

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.