Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Why The New Range Rover Evoque Gets Up My Nose
mcerd1

posted on 8/9/11 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootzThe Evoque is loosely based on the Freelander2 (a good car in itself

which in turn is loosely based on a mondeo

but then tell me a new mass production car that isn't sharing its platform with something else.....

-

MK9R

posted on 8/9/11 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
quote:
Originally posted by scootzThe Evoque is loosely based on the Freelander2 (a good car in itself

but then tell me a new mass production car that isn't sharing its platform with something else.....

Where do these stories come from???????? There maybe an odd panel (like a hinge reinforcement), but its now where near loosely based on it!!! The X type, which was built in the same plant as the X type shared its underbody with the mondeo, and the Evoque has reused some of the equipment left redundant from X type and also goes down a some of the same production lines a the freelander, but that seems a bit loose to say its the same platform, LOL!!!

[Edited on 8/9/11 by MK9R]

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
owelly

posted on 8/9/11 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
No matter what you/us guys think, the buying public will decide if Landrover have got it right. A bit like these tv talent shows. Perhaps you don't like "insert whoever" but the public will decide and how can they be wrong? The fact that you never hear of then after a few weeks doesn't matter because thats old news, much like the 6 year old car. The dealers have had their cut, the finance company have got theirs and now the back street garages can have their go....
I bought an 05 Range Rover Vogue on the back of the panic when the government announced the 'gas-guzzler tax'. It had missed a few services but was cheap. I ran it for two years and sold it for the same as I paid for it. I'll look forward to buying one of the new Range Rovers for a tenth of its original sale value at three years old just because it has the wrong celebrity name on the boot lid. Suits me fine.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mcerd1

posted on 8/9/11 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MK9R
Where do these stories come from???????? There maybe an odd panel (like a hinge reinforcement), but its now where near loosely based on it!!! The X type, which was built in the same plant as the X type shared its underbody with the mondeo, and the Evoque has reused some of the equipment left redundant from X type and also goes down a some of the same production lines a the freelander, but that seems a bit loose to say its the same platform, LOL!!!
^^ the same platform design just means they use the same 'kit of parts' and basic chassis/floorpan design (stretched and modified to suit) meaning they can easily be built on the same production lines and take less time to design each of the cars
(which is why there are so many variants and clones on the market) even if all the pannels and trim are different parts

I know this is only wikipeda, but as far as I know this list is right: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_EUCD_platform#Ford.27s_new_global_D-segment_platform

a few years back in the engineering papers lotus reconed they'd come up with one that could deal with everything from a 2 seat mid engined sports car all the way up to a front engined MPV (don't think they ever used it though)

[Edited on 8/9/2011 by mcerd1]

-

kevmcdo

posted on 8/9/11 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
I agree 110%

I said earlier in the post that I thought they were becoming more common and to me that is a very good thing as within 12 months they will be within reach financially.

So roll on the fashion slaves keep buying new as I cannot afford one box fresh

Andybarbet

posted on 8/9/11 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
We bought a 10 year old SAAB 95 from the guy that bought it brand new from the dealer, we paid £2000 for it & he paid just over £30,000 for it 10 years earlier, it had 68000 genuine fully serviced miles on the clock & every extra thay had on the dealer list. We have had it 18 months now & still love it as much as the day we bought it. We paln on keeping it as long as possible.

I reckon we are one of the few couples i know that actually 'own' our car, we owe nothing on it, most of my mates drive very new cars, i really couldnt afford but i suppose if i wanted to get one on credit i probably could.

I think it is generally accepted to borrow as much as you can now days, i was there a few years ago but realised i was never getting anywhere so have been cutting back & working hard to get debt free.

We are living to our means now & have been for a couple of years, hence the reason my kit is taking so long, when i finish it i want to be driving my 'toy' around knowing that i owe no money on it & if times get hard as they quite often do, i can put it away until i can afford to run it again, if i owed money on it i would probably have to sell it if i couldnt afford the repayments.

Ive gone really off topic here but was just trying to say that most people dont seem to be too bothered about paying way over the odds for something as long as the monthly payment seems affordable, also alot of people i know seem to get a new car every year, i dont even have a clue how much this must cost ??

Bring on the trusty old SAAB t may not be the nicest looking motor but its safe, reliable & its ours, not the banks

Toniq-r

posted on 9/9/11 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kevmcdo
I agree 110%

I said earlier in the post that I thought they were becoming more common and to me that is a very good thing as within 12 months they will be within reach financially.

So roll on the fashion slaves keep buying new as I cannot afford one box fresh

Shi* I will have to sell the RR Sport now, dont want to be seen driving a common car

Ninehigh

posted on 9/9/11 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
but the public will decide and how can they be wrong?

The public are stupid. That's how they can be wrong.

When high regard is being paid to people who are famous for being in a group that now doesn't exist and kicked her out before they got big, whose current claim to fame is being on telly a lot, and a person whose talents are a) the ability to take off clothes and b) the surgically enhanced parts underneath, yeah I will stand up and say it's wrong.

The Mini was mentioned a few posts ago. Go in and ask why the new model (countryman?) is bigger than a 106. Point out that it shouldn't be called "mini" being so big and see if they understand your point

kevmcdo

posted on 9/9/11 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
You keep that RR Sport a bit longer, spec it up a bit with some tuning and shiny bits then give me a shout
ss1turbo

posted on 10/9/11 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MK9R
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
quote:

[Edited on 8/9/11 by MK9R]

Looks like a virtually identical platform to me (and not much difference on the front end of the bodyside either). OK, some of the mild steel panels are now Boron steel, but some panels are Freelander/Evoque depending on how many holes they have in them..

(Staring at the bodysides line whilst typing this - now they're running Saturday and Sunday to keep up with those aforementioned advance orders...)

Long live RWD...

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.