New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Yamaha R1 5VY Engine
a4gom

posted on 9/9/11 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
Yamaha R1 5VY Engine

It's a replacement for my existing one so don't need loom, throttle bodies etc

What ya got?

Andy

Perfect planning prevents pi$$ poor performance!

ko_racer

posted on 9/9/11 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
What's up with your current engine, I've got lots of spares if you need anything.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
a4gom

posted on 9/9/11 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Waiting for the verdict but it died at Tycroes at the weekend, think I need some stronger valve springs. I suppose we'll never know but my guess is the valve springs are a bit weak and can't keep up with the cam when held on high rpm for too long? Like I said haven't got the head off yet but I had 1-1/4" of exhaust valve stem in the manifold and you could see a couple of bent stems on the inlet valves so I reckon it's dropped an exhaust valve in the pot. I was free-wheeling back down pit lane when it happened on tick over so hopefully the damage won't be so bad.
I had a similar indecent earlier in the year but was lucky then as the shim trapped the collet in such a way that the valve only dropped a fraction and held in place, far enough to take the carbon of the top of the piston but not cause any damage.

I might be in touch once I know whats needed.

Thanks

Andy

Perfect planning prevents pi$$ poor performance!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.