Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: vw transporter
dave107

posted on 17/9/11 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
vw transporter

Can anyone help.

want to buy a vw transporter kombi tdi but having trouble finding one right age right price, but there are loads of transporter vans for sale right age right price if i bought one of these and fitted dark glass windows in the two sides at the back and fitted a row of seats and seat belts carpet what are the legalities ie; paperwork.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
martin1973

posted on 17/9/11 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
if its registerd as a van or minibus you can only travel at 50 on normal A road?
but register it as a camper/motorcaravan you can do 60?

martin

DixieTheKid

posted on 17/9/11 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by martin1973
if its registerd as a van or minibus you can only travel at 50 on normal A road?

Incorrect

COS IT'S Worth IT

DixieTheKid

posted on 17/9/11 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dave107
Can anyone help.

want to buy a vw transporter kombi tdi but having trouble finding one right age right price, but there are loads of transporter vans for sale right age right price if i bought one of these and fitted dark glass windows in the two sides at the back and fitted a row of seats and seat belts carpet what are the legalities ie; paperwork.

Speak to you local vosa station for exact requirements.. I think as long as the chairs are bolted to the floor and seat belts fitted correctly your be ok unless taking over 8 people or paying customers. Your also need to look into the road tax as im sure that will vary.

COS IT'S Worth IT

austin man

posted on 17/9/11 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Im doing exactly the same, but looking at one that has seats in the rear fitted from new, will then remove them and fit a rock and roll bed with seat belts. Plan is to convert to a camper.

As you say there are loads I personally am looking at the T5 with a minimum of 104 BHP apparently these map to 130 relatively easily. I have found insurance to be a problem a lot of companies expect you to take out comercial insurance which can cause problems with No claims transfer if you go back to a car

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

morcus

posted on 18/9/11 at 06:02 AM Reply With Quote
My dad had that when he had a truck as they'd only insure as commercial. You usually lose all or half of your NCD if you go back to a car.

Wouldn't tax be the same as it would still be a van just with more seats?

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

BigFaceDave

posted on 18/9/11 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by austin man
I have found insurance to be a problem a lot of companies expect you to take out comercial insurance which can cause problems with No claims transfer if you go back to a car

I have my T4 insured with Just Kampers, my policy basically covers me to do what ever I want to the inside of the van from just keeping it as a standard panel van (which it is at the moment) to a full camper conversion or fit loads of seats etc what ever I want to do with it basically and it wont change the premium. Not only that it was very reasonble too! The first quote from them was £190 but I added a set of alloys and it only added £10 to the policy! Thats a non comercial policy with 16,000 miles a year and im 30 clean licence and live in a good postcode. They are worth a call, Also I was recommended brentacre who do a simular thing but worked out more expnsive for me.

Peteff

posted on 18/9/11 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
Is this kind of thing what you are after ?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

dave107

posted on 18/9/11 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for feed back guys i think for now i am going to have a word with my local VOSA station just around the corner from me then depending on what they say decide were i am going to take it from there.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dinosaurjuice

posted on 18/9/11 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DixieTheKid
quote:
Originally posted by martin1973

Incorrect

whats the correct answer?

austin man

posted on 19/9/11 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Just been quoted by just campers £650 I would love to know how you managed quote of £190 im 45 clean licence 13 years NCB have you gone 3rd party only ?? when you say a nice area you dont live In Windsor by any chance

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.