Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tyre width and lateral grip?
Ivan

posted on 27/9/11 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
Tyre width and lateral grip?

Toying with the idea of changing the wheel size for my Cobra as there is a very poor selection of performance tyres in the 295 x 15 X 60 range (zero available) so thought of going up to 17" or 18" for track days. However cost becomes a facto as well as wheel & tyre weight so was looking for the real effect on handling by changes in tyre width.

Found this:

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=258842&page=2

which basically says:

Grip proportional to width ^0.15 ie go up from 200mm to 300 mm and gain 6% lateral Acc.

Stiffness Proportional to ^0.3 of width - ie from 200 to 300 gain 12% lateral force for given slip angle.

Haven't checked maths or theory but is interesting

Must scan my Milliken to see if there is corroboration.

Basically says to me that going from a no grip 295 X 15 to a high grip 255 x 18 tyre I should gain lots of grip with minimal loss in width effects.

[Edited on 27/9/11 by Ivan]

MikeRJ

posted on 27/9/11 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan

Basically says to me that going from a no grip 295 X 15 to a high grip 255 x 18 tyre I should gain lots of grip with minimal loss in width effects.

But then you have all the other negatives of huge wheels and low profile tyres. Greater unsprung and rotating weight, much harsher ride, less progressive loss of grip, more easily damaged tyres and rims.

multanen

posted on 27/9/11 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IvanGrip proportional to width ^0.15 ie go up from 200mm to 300 mm and gain 6% lateral Acc.

Stiffness Proportional to ^0.3 of width - ie from 200 to 300 gain 12% lateral force for given slip angle.
Low profile 200mm tyre reaches it's maximal lateral force with smaller slip angle. Anyway you get better lateral force with 300mm tyre, you just have to drive it with larger slip angle.
If it's for a track day there's probably many factors more important than absolute maximum lateral force.

Neville Jones

posted on 27/9/11 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan
Toying with the idea of changing the wheel size for my Cobra as there is a very poor selection of performance tyres in the 295 x 15 X 60 range (zero available) so thought of going up to 17" or 18" for track days. However cost becomes a facto as well as wheel & tyre weight so was looking for the real effect on handling by changes in tyre width.

Found this:

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=258842&page=2

which basically says:

Grip proportional to width ^0.15 ie go up from 200mm to 300 mm and gain 6% lateral Acc.

Haven't checked maths or theory but is interesting

Must scan my Milliken to see if there is corroboration.

It's just not quite that simple.

The wider tyre has a narrower lengthwise contact patch for a given tyre pressure than a narrower tyre, which is more susceptible to roll and camber change, which instantly loses all that mathematical extra grip.

And as said, the extra weight and rotating mass bring along their own extra problems.

You also have got to have the suspension designed to take full account of the behaviour of the wide tyre.

Dropping the profile then further adds its ramifications.

But, those 18" rims surely will look all 'bling'. The tyres will cost twice what the 15" do.

Spend the rim and tyre money on decent 15" rubber, and gain all the benefits with none of the downsides.

Cheers,
Nev.

Steve Hignett

posted on 27/9/11 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
Ignoring the obvious maths portion of this post - is going to a 2nd hand second set of wheels with slick tyres an option - they are cheap and readily avail in the UK...
Ivan

posted on 27/9/11 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
I think the overall wheel weight will be the same as I currently run 15 X 10" steel rims and think 17 or 18 X 8" AL rims will pretty much weigh the same and lower profile smaller tyres won't make much difference.

Good point re the 2nd hand racing tyres - but finding rims for them at 15" is a problem cost wise (about 1200 Pounds) due to 120.3 x 5 PCD compared to 300 Pounds for 17 or 18" rims).

Another problem with current tyres are they are only rated for 180 kph and on a 230 to 250 kph car might not be such a good idea on track. If I could find decent road tyres in the 275/295 X 60/55 X 15 size I would stick with them and not change wheels for track days as 4X those size wheels are a storage problem in their own right.

Re the handling impact of lower profile tyres I believe the heavier weight of the Cobra compared to a Locost will lesson the impact of profile change compared to a Locost.

Fred W B

posted on 27/9/11 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Ivan

Search on gt40s.com for some discussion on high perfomance 15" street tyres.

What I intend to do is import 15" tyres from the states, probably Hoosier DOT radials. You can import personally or get one of the V8 engine parts suppliers to bring in in their weekly containers. I think you do have some companies that do that in Cape Town.

Look on Summit racing's website. They do all sorts of things you will want to buy.

http://www.summitracing.com/

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 27/9/11 by Fred W B]

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.