Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: WriteOff or Not?
skidmark

posted on 27/9/11 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
WriteOff or Not?

So, here's what my car looks like after some stupid woman in an Audi TT wasn't looking where she was going and ploughs into the back of me in traffic, pushing me into the car in front (I was stationary at the time) ...

[img][/img]

The "engineer" hasn't been in contact yet about assessing the damage. What do you think? What usually happens to the car in cases such as this regarding getting it fixed etc.?

(I'm OK by the way. The helmet I was luckily wearing bent the steering wheel over instead of my face! and nobody else was hurt).

Ninehigh

posted on 27/9/11 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
Hopefully it's just panels and you'll be alright

skidmark

posted on 27/9/11 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Unforntunately it's not just panels - both fromt wishbones have been pushed back - probably bending the front chassis inwards - rear chassis has been pushed in, crushing the fuel tank. Engine has also hit something at the front as the top cam cover is bent!

iank

posted on 27/9/11 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Panels, new chassis, new fuel tank, probably new engine. I'd say it's written off unless you have a parts only policy in which case you could rebuild it with a new chassis and panels and save an IVA.

p.s. Glad you're ok!

[Edited on 27/9/11 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

mookaloid

posted on 27/9/11 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Probably not a write off but might need a couple of grand to sort out - of course we can't see beneath the skin on just those pics.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

b14wrc

posted on 27/9/11 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
Gutted for you mate. Hope you get it sorted out. Looks a mess, real shame if it is written off.

Glad you were not hurt!

Rob

20vt powered rear engined locost

gavin174

posted on 27/9/11 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote

(I'm OK by the way. The helmet I was luckily wearing bent the steering wheel over instead of my face! and nobody else was hurt).

glad your ok.....

but how did your helmet hit the steering wheel?

were you not wearing belts.

http://www.essexkitcarclub.com

skidmark

posted on 27/9/11 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks. Here are a couple more pics. I was hoping I might be able to avoid a write-off and transfer most bits onto a new rolling chassis to avoid having to do an IVA. Hopefully the assessor chap will understand!

[img][/img]

coozer

posted on 27/9/11 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Why not avoid the insurance and get her to buy the car at pre accident condition?

That will save you a whole lot in insurance costs fro the next few years, trust me, been there, done that, paying for it now...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Daddylonglegs

posted on 27/9/11 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Glad ur OK chap! I bet the dozy cow was on the phone? Most are nowadays, or checking the makeup I watched one nearly ram a car at a roundabout because she was checking her hair in the mirror!!

Sue her!!

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

skidmark

posted on 27/9/11 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, I was wearing a 4-point seatbelt but I guess it wasn't tight enough. If the steering wheel hadn't stopped my head going forwards more I wonder what would have happened to my neck! I guess that's what HANS devices are for!

I'm going through insurance now as not much else I could do. Stupid woman didn't seem to be too bothered and said it'd all get sorted with her comapany car insurance - failing to understand you can't just get mr. local mechanic to magic you a new kit car... At least she's being done for careless driving!

morcus

posted on 27/9/11 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Good to hear she's getting done, it's that kind of attitude that makes premiums so high.

Whats the Fluid puddled around the back?

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

RoadkillUK

posted on 27/9/11 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
'tis nothing but a scratch. We've fixed one of them

crash3 by RoadkillUK, on Flickr

Also, previous to that, I drove the car into a wall and bent the front of the chassis, turned out to be just the lower bar, cut it out and replaced it.

bump04 by RoadkillUK, on Flickr

Hopefully, you will be able to get it repaired.

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
skidmark

posted on 27/9/11 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
It's fuel - you wouldn't believe how fast I got out of the car after I smelt (and heard) fuel gushing out of the crushed tank! - My first words to the two drivers were "fuel leak" and "get out of here now!". Luckily nothing combusted!

skidmark

posted on 27/9/11 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
I hope it can be repaired. I also hope that they'll pay for a completely new chassis with a few extra tubes (i.e. a rollcage) fitted so I can feel a bit more confident in future!

flak monkey

posted on 27/9/11 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
I would think they will probably write it off but let you buy it back at salvage cost.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

RoadkillUK

posted on 27/9/11 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
We lost a tank of fuel too, you can see it in the previous photo, it was just trickling out though.

This pic shows the damage done one the 'skin' is off, not too much and cheap to repair too. Think yourself lucky the driver was insured as we (my brother) has been hit twice in the Locost by uninsured drivers.

If you follow the Flickr link, there's a few more photo's of the damage and repair. HTH

[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3023/2981985064_89cf918353_z.jpg?zz=1[/img]
crash6 by RoadkillUK, on Flickr

[Edited on 27/9/11 by RoadkillUK]

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
skidmark

posted on 27/9/11 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Any idea what salvage cost might be?

There's a fair few quid of ECU / custom plenum / seats / wheels (if not bent) etc. which I could do with keeping!

skidmark

posted on 27/9/11 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Roadkill, looks like it might be better than it seems underneath.

Now if she was uninsured - that would have been a nightmare! Lets hope it all goes through ok!

I do have an agreed value on the car through my insurance (Adrian Flux / Equity Redstar) so I hope this is taken into account when making their decisions.

By the way, anubody know at what point a car get declared a "category C or D"? If mine is repaired, will it show up as such on an HPI check or similar?

HowardB

posted on 27/9/11 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Equity Red Star assessed mine, it was a new front end, £4k in total, and that was all ok. If you check my thread,... linky then there are some useful comments about the catc / d issue.

Ok in this case it was my fault, and yes the helmet worked for me too, submarined out of my 4 point,.... ouch

glad you're ok,...

hope that helps

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

Talon Motorsport

posted on 27/9/11 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
All though I feel for you in that you may have lost a car, as a chassis builder I'm interested in how the back end has stood up to the impact of an average sized car. I'm not sure what the back would look like it you'd been hit by Jeep or a Range Rover though, may be it would have made it to the roll bar?
skidmark

posted on 27/9/11 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks HowardB, interesting thread.

So it seems if it's written off in any way, it'll be given a category of some description but can sometimes still be fixed and put back on the road if bought back from salvage....

I think I'm still going to try to persuade the assessor not to write it off, might try to reduce costs by offering to rebuild myself if needed...

skidmark

posted on 27/9/11 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Talon Motorsport,

I agree - which is why I think I'll be getting a rollcage fitted for the future. Might have prevented the fuel tank being crushed so much if rear stays were fitted and improved overally rigidity.

ashg

posted on 27/9/11 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
time for an indy r chassis me thinks

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

skidmark

posted on 27/9/11 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
that may be an option!...

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.