Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 1st MOT & Engine Emissions
FEZ1025

posted on 28/9/11 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
1st MOT & Engine Emissions

Next March will be the buggy's 1st MOT, it was built in 2009 with a new chassis with a single 1985 donor, it was SVA'd & given an age related plate, this has since been changed to a cherished plate.

The engine at SVA time was a 1985 1275 A series engine, I still had the donor V5C with the engine number on & it was tested at 3.5% CO limit. Over the winter I intend to change the engine to a 1.8 K series out of a 1995 MGF I also have the V5C for the MGF.

I called at my local MOT garage last night who has tested my cars for the last 20 or so years to get their take on what emissions it will be tested under, I'm after knowing if I need to fit the CAT or not? Despite our best efforts we were unable to come to a consensus of what limit it would be tested under.

Any thoughts folks?

Alan...

Tiger Super Six

posted on 28/9/11 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
It will remain as the tested limit at SVA, not the new engine.

My car had a 2ltr pinto in it and I have recently changed to a Duratec. This is still tested at 3.5% CO limit and I therefore run it on carbs to save some cash on conversion costs. The 3.5% is still quoted on the new v5 form after the engine number has been changed.

Mark

Tiger Avon

adithorp

posted on 28/9/11 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
The limit for MOT is the same as at SVA/IVA irrespective of any engine changes. The limits may or may not come up when they log the car on for test; Mine didn't but others on here have. The limit should be on your V5 in the notes on the front page.

Some testers can get it wrong and test all kits as visable smoke though...

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

whitestu

posted on 28/9/11 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
As said it should be as at IVA/SVA. Mine was built with a CVH and now has a Zetec and the test was the same.

[Edited on 28/9/11 by whitestu]

coozer

posted on 28/9/11 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
The limit for MOT is the same as at SVA/IVA irrespective of any engine changes. The limits may or may not come up when they log the car on for test; Mine didn't but others on here have. The limit should be on your V5 in the notes on the front page.

Some testers can get it wrong and test all kits as visable smoke though...

Just had mine down for its first MOT, it was a 1994 1.8 at sva changed to a 2003 2L now. No notes on the V5 and visible test applied. Very happy

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

FEZ1025

posted on 28/9/11 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
Going through the handbook it did day the figures should be on the V5C but looking last night there is nothing on there, what I'm concerned at is they say they will probably go on the date of 1st registered, which was 1/3/2009 no way even with a cat on will it get through one of those. Might need to find somewhere else, but I have to go pick something up tomorrow so taking the V5C in & let them pull it up on the VOSA PC to see if the limits are given at that point.

Alan...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.