Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fibreglass van roof
PumaWestie

posted on 28/9/11 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Fibreglass van roof

Looking for the fibreglass roof panel from an old van. Havent seen any for a while as most modern vans have steel roofs these days.

Have seen plenty on Scrapheap Challenge which look like they could be converted to a make a boat or raft but cant find anything suitable at the moment

PS - I dont want it for a boat or raft

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 28/9/11 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Would make a great boat! In fact, that's what I've been planning to do with the high top from my old rusty smiley Transit (ex-White Aroow). Take roof off, add wooden transom, and off you go.

It's not GRP, by the way, on these. It's a compressed ABS Fibre... might be important if you intend polyester to bond to it.

PumaWestie

posted on 29/9/11 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info. more info on what type of vans these roofs were fitted to would be a help to help locate one. I actually want to to make a roof on a covered trailer so material isnt important other than it not being steel
mad-butcher

posted on 29/9/11 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
hi-top smiley transit, mine was P reg

tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 29/9/11 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
Hi-top 'Smiley' MK5 Transit is what you need. You could have the roof from my fine example, but not quite yet, the van is still being used as a parts-donor for the existing rotten device (a mid-top 190 version, roof is steel). Eventually, that too will dissolve back into the earth.
PumaWestie

posted on 29/9/11 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
Would one of you kind gents be able to please measure the width and length of such a roof at its base so i can tell if it will suit my requirements please?

Am I also correct in thinking that Iveco used this type of thing in the past as well?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.