Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Can you have fog inside?
morcus

posted on 1/10/11 at 05:59 AM Reply With Quote
Can you have fog inside?

As per title really. I can't remember ever having seen fog inside and the only references I've ever heard alluding to it where about Albert Speers proposed super dome and the Foundry at Dagenham which I would assume would be smoke of steam rather than fog.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Ben_Copeland

posted on 1/10/11 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
Only ever seen it in large film studios where the sides hadn't been finished and it rolled in off the neighbouring fields.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

designer

posted on 1/10/11 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
The huge Saturn V construction building at Cape Kennedy did get clouds in it.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Macbeast

posted on 1/10/11 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
Not since they banned smoking in pubs.

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

Neville Jones

posted on 1/10/11 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
Fog inside?

I've seen it in sheds and house in San Francisco.

The fog rolls in over the mountains on the coast and falls like a heavy cloud, down the sides and into the bay. It's like one of those volcanic things, engulfing all in its path. Very eery and spooky. This was on the north bay area, Andersons Boatyard in north Sausalito.

Cheers,
Nev.

richardlee237

posted on 1/10/11 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
Just about every plane landing in Dubai in the summer has mist inside due to the high humidity and a/c cooling.

Fog is mist on dust particles

Quote Lord Kelvin
“Large increases in cost with questionable increases in performance can be tolerated only in race horses and women.”

Quote Richard Lee

"and cars"

mrwibble

posted on 1/10/11 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
you can when its green and eery, but it takes control of your brain and turns you into a zombie killer, watch out for zombie pigeons, they can be lethal!
Confused but excited.

posted on 1/10/11 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer
The huge Saturn V construction building at Cape Kennedy did get clouds in it.

In fact enough to make it rain.

You can get fog even in very small enclosures, with the right conditions, ie; a cloud chamber.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

cliftyhanger

posted on 1/10/11 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure you would notice fog in most buildings though. They are not big enough. Isn't fog when visibilty is less than 1km? OK, can be a lot less, but it needs a big space.
JeffHs

posted on 1/10/11 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
Heater matrix blew at 70 mph in my old Citroen. Immediate heavy mist on screen so not much visibility and the car filled up with fog
MikeCapon

posted on 1/10/11 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
I've seen clouds in a building. The old hangars at Cardington where they kept (keep?) the airships.

Back in 1989 we did a rally that started inside the building. It was so big that all the competitor's cars and all the service and support vehicles were inside and there was still loads of room left.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bobinspain

posted on 1/10/11 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
As per title really. I can't remember ever having seen fog inside and the only references I've ever heard alluding to it where about Albert Speers proposed super dome and the Foundry at Dagenham which I would assume would be smoke of steam rather than fog.

Fog is just a cloud that's near to the ground (with certain visibility parameters for it to be classed as such).
Cloud, (fog) formation relies on the presence of moisture (droplets), temperature, pressure and volume. Dust or smoke particles help the water vapour to more easily coalesce into droplets and thus form clouds/fog.
It's all derived from the Ideal gas Law (PV=nRT). R is a constant, (It's 30 years since I did this guff in meteorology as an aviator).
You can get clouds in buildings provided you manipulate the variables, moist air, rapid cooling, reduction in pressure. In fact you can get a cloud in a bottle by using a plastic bottle where by squeezing and releasing, you can artificially increase and decrease the pressure, whilst 'fixing' the other variables.
I knew this stuff would come in useful one day.

Liam

posted on 1/10/11 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeCapon
I've seen clouds in a building. The old hangars at Cardington where they kept (keep?) the airships.

Back in 1989 we did a rally that started inside the building. It was so big that all the competitor's cars and all the service and support vehicles were inside and there was still loads of room left.

Used to work in them myself and yes in the right conditions you could get a bit of mistyness at the top. Cool buildings.

adithorp

posted on 1/10/11 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
I've seen it in indoor ski slopes but not very dense.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

David Jenkins

posted on 1/10/11 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
I'm going to show my age now...

I have a distant recollection of looking down the stairs (indoors) and not being able to see the bottom due to a mucky yellow fog...

It would have been around 1953, when my family lived in Surbiton - during one of the last of the London smogs. I would have been about 1 year old. It's one of my oldest recollections, in the back of my subconscious...

...I feel old now.

morcus

posted on 1/10/11 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the answers.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

sdh2903

posted on 1/10/11 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Have had pretty dense fog roll into an aircraft hangar up here in glasgow.

It was dense enough to set off the cargo smoke detection system alarms on the aircraft we working on. Certainly woke up a few people

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.