Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Individual Runners with throttle bodies or not???
Ivan

posted on 2/10/11 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
Individual Runners with throttle bodies or not???

What is the likely power gain or loss to be between individual throttle bodies with trumpets and similar length individual runners with trumpets but a sealed plenum with single throttle body of same area as multiple throttle plates, which means you can optimise location of injectors?

Also, what is the optimum location for the injectors, I have always thought that they should spray onto the back of the inlet valve but don't really know.

[Edited on 2/10/11 by Ivan]

rusty nuts

posted on 2/10/11 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
I suspect the results may vary from engine to engine and the only way to tell would be back to back dyno testing but I'm sure someone more knowlegable will give a more definate answer. I found David Walkers book on engine management to be very helpful and IIRC he covers various injector positioning as well as 2 sets of injectors , one being nearer the valve and the other further away with the ECU controling when each one works . Variable trumpet length is also covered which also has some effect. My car has individual TBs and I'm well happy with the performance and I think they sound much better than a single TB
MikeRJ

posted on 2/10/11 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan
Also, what is the optimum location for the injectors, I have always thought that they should spray onto the back of the inlet valve but don't really know.

That is optimum for emissions and low speed running, but optimum power comes from having the injector further away. If you look at e.g. F1 engines the injector is physically mounted outside the throttle body and sprays into the trumpet. You can have two sets of injectors to get the best of both worlds.

Guinness

posted on 2/10/11 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan

That is optimum for emissions and low speed running, but optimum power comes from having the injector further away. If you look at e.g. F1 engines the injector is physically mounted outside the throttle body and sprays into the trumpet. You can have two sets of injectors to get the best of both worlds.

Ivan

posted on 2/10/11 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys - I love the fuel rail on the Ferrari.

Just thinking of options for my 383 Chevy V8 where 2 throttles will be much easier and cheaper to do than 8 and no synchronisation problems if the two feed into one plenum.

DIY Si

posted on 7/10/11 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
Could you not run one for each bank, as most modern V engines tend to do? As you say, just the one linkage to adjust, as trying to get all 8 to open at once will be a PITA. And it might make the plenum a little easier to make/sort out, although they won't be mirror images, so it would need two sided versions.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.