Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Don't buy ABAC compressors!!
NS Dev

posted on 6/10/11 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
Don't buy ABAC compressors!!

Just a quick follow on from my other post!

If you are looking for a decent workshop compressor, DON'T buy an ABAC !!

They were recommended to me ages ago, and seemed good value (I have a 7.5hp 3 phase dual stage piston one) but it has suffered a failed head gasket due to mis-assembly at the factory after 16 months, and the technical help line could NOT have been any less helpful!

Basically, it's my fault that the machine has failed, I've got it too hot, worked it for too long, not retorqued the head bolts as advised on the (non existent) sticker and generally been neglectful in not replacing the head gaskets and valve plate after 12 months, as they are "service parts".......Sooooo, I need to spend £40 odd quid on gaskets and a sum which they would not disclose, just that they "were very expensive" on valve plates every year....

I have photographed the mis-assembled part and will enquire with ABAC exactly how my poor maintainance of the machine has led to the head gasket being installed half inside the cylinder bore, with a tear in it, BEFORE the bolts were tightened up!!

hmmm think it'll be going next year and be replaced by a recon hydrovane machine.

The ABAC customer service is utter rubbish, and the assembly quality of the machine rather suspect!!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

jollygreengiant

posted on 6/10/11 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
Just as a thought, IF it had been incorectly assembled from new, then this would lead to 'over working' of the compressor and therefore premature failure of the product due to 'overheating'. Ergo the the ball is firmly and squarely back in their court and probably open to a small claims court for coverage of costs incurred.

Just a thought.

JGG

edit bit, ie, costs of parts, labour, lost work, lost jobs etc.

[Edited on 6/10/11 by jollygreengiant]

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

Confused but excited.

posted on 6/10/11 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
See my advice in this thread: http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=161568
Doesn't matter what they say. You have legal rights in this regard.
Don't let them fob you off with guff. They all try it on.
Report to your local Trading Standards, give them the ten days (as in the letter) and if you have no joy report back to Trading Standards. for them to sort.

[Edited on 6/10/11 by Confused but excited.]

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

designer

posted on 6/10/11 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
Under European Law, any electrical goods have a 'life' of five years, despite what any guarantee say.

I used this last year and got a four year old washer replaced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
fullpint

posted on 6/10/11 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Ive got one!! Mines a 5.5HP 3 phase. Had it for 18 months.. Best I check those bolts first thing in the morning.
I would buy a Hydrovane but at the time this was less than half the price..
I guess you get what you pay for at the end of the day..

I've over 28 years in dealing with magnesium wheels. Refurbishment and can powder coat most metal parts. Visit my web site if you wish..
www.tpcs-magnesium-refurbs.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hillbillyracer

posted on 6/10/11 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
A company we get load of stuff through supplies them, we've sold a few & had no bother, unlike one or two other brands!
Sounds more like a failure in the customer service department than the machine itself.

NS Dev

posted on 6/10/11 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
To be honest it is the people not the product I think. Every company has the odd assembly fault, but for the tech dept to leap in blaming the customer without any facts is rather poor!!! I will email them the photos in the morning and start off without mentioning trading std etc. Will follow up with that if they are not at least forthcoming with the money for the gasket set!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

40inches

posted on 6/10/11 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Make your own complaint letter Here

P155TAKER

posted on 14/11/13 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
i agree dont buy an abac compressor

my compressor gave up after 355 days!
head gasket was the diagnosis down the phone from abac
said that this is a serviceable item and not covered under warranty!!!!!!!
should be replaced every 12 months
my old compressor lasted nearly 30 years with out the head coming off
after all of this i got the service kit from the supplier of the machine, then the recommended repairer for my area wanted £217 to come and do the job, also wanted paying before even getting in his van to come and do the job
fitted it myself in 15 minutes
let this be a lesson to everyone
dont buy abac and dont believe you get a 12 months warranty

matt_gsxr

posted on 14/11/13 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
Is it post-resurrection day today or something?
me!

posted on 14/11/13 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
And being a first post with that user name I'm a bit suspicious!
matt_gsxr

posted on 14/11/13 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by me!
And being a first post with that user name I'm a bit suspicious!

Probably works as a urologist on in dope testing.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.