Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Planning permission for a timber garage?
StevieB

posted on 12/10/11 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
Planning permission for a timber garage?

Bit of background first, I suppose:

I want to start building a se7en again but have been struggling for space in a small single garage because I have 2 motorbikes which I don't want to sell. Owelly's suggestion had been to use a bit of the land at the side of my house to build a shed for one of the bikes (the bigger of the two) and thus have my off road bike and se7en in the garage.

This got me measuring up for space and looking at options.

The land at the side of my house is very much unused, unloved and generally in a bad way. Every time I measure it up I forget how big the space is and am always surprised.

After a quick measure up, I'm surprised to find I could fit a 2700x5000 unit on there without problems (bigger than my current garage) - it would need to be a 'lean to' type structure built off the gable wall of my house with a pent roof. I would also look to fit double barn type doors both ends to allow ease of access between front and rear gardens.

In concept, it wouldn't be much more than a car port with ship lap cladding and doors either end.

From an initial look at the planning portal guidance, I don't think I need planning permission. However, I fugured I would ask if anyone had experience of getting planning for such a project as well as whether anyone had experience of building such a thing (always good to learn from others' experiences)

Cheers

Steve

tegwin

posted on 12/10/11 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Planning permission not required (unless in a conservation area), however I believe it would require building regs involvement as it would not be considered a "temporary wooden structure" freestanding in your garden.

[Edited on 12/10/11 by tegwin]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

StevieB

posted on 12/10/11 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
I actually thought about making it a free standing structure, only one that's very, very close to the existing building and not tied in.

Being a different found type and a timber structure, it might actually be better off free standing as movement through the ground and timber will be different to the main house.

tegwin

posted on 12/10/11 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
Suggest you read this if you have not done so.
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/outbuildings

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Guinness

posted on 12/10/11 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/outbuildings

You'll be fine. Get it built. (As long as it's not more than 50% of the land around the house?)

(Save a copy of the current guidance though, as proving you didn't need permission later is always going to be tricky)

fazerruss

posted on 12/10/11 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
You probably wont need permission as I didn't for a 40 sqM gararage. It was free for me to find out from Selby council. Just fill out the councils questionaire and they will let you know pretty quick if needed.
Building regs though is a different matter and can be more of a pain if its timber (combustable material) also there will be a minimum required distance between the house and proposed building if you want to get away without them. North yorkshire building control is in Easingwold. Just go speak to them they are very helpfull.
I needed building regs but they only cost me £120 two years ago.

"if assholes could fly this place would be an airport"

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 12/10/11 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Build a shed - you need no permission for that. The only issue is its technically got to be 1m from a boundry due to being built from flamable material and must not protrude ahead of the front of the property (i think).
jossey

posted on 12/10/11 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
you need planning persmission if its over 50m3

thats what ive been told by my local council.

so mine is 49m3 with heating and water and toilet. lokos alot like it could be turned into a bedroom outside but obviously that breaks planning rules. :O)

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DixieTheKid

posted on 12/10/11 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Build the bugger as big as you like and p!$$ everyone off. But dont not exceed a 2.5mtr ridge height and no one can touch you.

[Edited on 12/10/11 by DixieTheKid]

COS IT'S Worth IT

StevieB

posted on 12/10/11 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
The problem I have is that it will be both on the boundary of my land AND up against my house.

There's a fence there at the moment so for me it's like putting a car port roof over the space behind (which is where my plans had started) and then deciding to fill in the gaps with some cladding.

I've spoken with some of the neighbours (who look right out onto the proposed location) and all they've said is that they have been wondering for ages when I would build a full on side extension. So, no complaints coming from that direction then.

The plot will be set back from the main front of the property, so that's not an issue either.

I think I'll just crack on regardless and keep the height below 2.5m

Alfa145

posted on 12/10/11 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Do as Dale Farm Pikeys have, build what the f*&k you like and in 10 years time have the discussion, by then you'll have finished the car or moved house and not mind.

And seriously: Easiest thing to do is ask your local planning office, might involve getting some plans drawn up, especially if its going to be attached to the side of the house as I've heard you will need building regs for that.

COREdevelopments

posted on 12/10/11 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
I am building a timber garage 7.6x6.2 and yes I needed planning permission for reason being it is closer to the "highway" i.e pavement than the "original dwelling. If you want it leaning off the house then yes you will probably need it too. Mine is 5m away from house. It also needed building regulations as its over 30sqm and because I am building it myself I needed Structural calculations. Its easy for other people to say get it built you be fine, Lots of people told me that. But mine is in full view of surrounding neighbours so wanted it all legit so no-one could complain for any reason. Its also going to built of a pleasant construction and easy on the eye(hopefully). And If you got any big trees in close range get them dug up asap and don't mention them to building control if you need regs! (Unlike silly billy here who was a bit too honest and ended up with some serious foundations which are as big enough for a house!!)

Good luck with the build.

Alfa you got to be a real pikey to pull that shite off!

Rob

[Edited on 12/10/11 by COREdevelopments]

kittycat

posted on 1/5/14 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
guide to permitted development

Hi there,
There is a free download on the planning page of this website for a guide to permitted development, you should find this rather useful. http://www.oakgarages.com/oak-framed-garages/planning-design
Hope you find this as helpful as I did.

Slimy38

posted on 1/5/14 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
First post on a very old thread? Reported.
ChrisW

posted on 1/5/14 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
I'm aware of this spam. Not deleting yet as I'm investigating how the user was able to post it. Please no more reports!

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.