Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New York
Ninehigh

posted on 13/10/11 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
New York

I'd like to take the missus to New York for her "Big *ahem* Oh" as she's hinted at it on her last birthday.

So I'd like to ask some bits of advice as I'm sure some of you guys have been

How long should we go for? I've already talked to a travel agent (so I know what kind of prices I'm looking at) and she said more than 5 nights (effectively 6 days with an overnight flight home) is too much.

Is there anything we should definately see? I know the site of the WTC (there's a museum amongst other things there now) but anything else?

Also do we bring 4 year old son with us or do we start getting him used to spending a few nights at his grandma and grandads? I don't mind either way but I'm not overly keen on an extra £700 to bring him and have to do a child's holiday.

Finally this will be her first flight so any tips on that will be appreciated

Thanks in advance

martinq357

posted on 13/10/11 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Really like NY, been a couple of times & would like to go again (and I'm not into City breaks either).

The Empire State building is well worth a visit, the view from the top is superb. It's also worth doing Ellis Island & Liberty Island with the Statue of Liberty, the museum at Ellis Island is very good - Ferries from Battery Park at the bottom of Manhatten.

It's well worth a walk through Central Park too. Times Square at night. If you can stretch to it, the helicopter rides up the East River, down the Hudson & over the Statue of Liberty give some amazing views - I did it before the WTC business and have some great photo's of the towers as a result.

As for the flight, steer clear of too much alcohol & keep hydrated. NY is a 6 - 7 hour flight so not too long, a meal, movie & a doze (although probably not the doze with a 4 year old - been there!!) should see you the other side of the Atlantic.

As I said, I tend to steer clear of cities, but I really liked it - NY felt safer at night than London in the day.

HTH,

Martin.

ditchlewis

posted on 13/10/11 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
i took the family there 2 years ago. had a great time.

the kids wanted to go shopping (boys) and did they shop... they had worked and saved for a couple of years and spent a fortune on cloaths and trainers. so Macey's on 7th and 34th is worth a visit.

I can strongly recomend a New York pass (check and pay on the internet before going) as this gets you onto many atractions and the front of queues.

here is a list of things to do.

Empire state building at night
Rockafella centre during the day for a good view of the city.
Central park & zoo
maddison square gardens tour. (got stuck in a lift with 20 others on that tour but they were marvelous with us after).
statue of liberty & ellis island
a circle tour of manhatten by ferry.
ground zero
battery park

for you prehaps USS Intrepid (Aircraft carrier and museum)

that is just a sample of things to do.

we went for seven days and barely touched the surface. next time i will not take the kids and there are many art and other museums to see.

go and enjoy.

ditch

RK

posted on 13/10/11 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Do one of those "get on, get off" bus tours. It will give you a feel for the city. It's kind of humourous to watch them honking their horn, our of habit, when you know nobody is going anywhere anyways due to traffic jams.

You don't need more than a few days to have a great time there. There is always a good band playing somewhere; much like London. The homeless/street people are more aggressive than you find in Europe, but it is generally very safe. The Staten Island Ferry is the best deal in town; you get great views for next to nothing.

greggors84

posted on 13/10/11 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Love going to NY and hopefully going again in December.

Not much really to add to those lists. Although I would say do empire state in the day and Rockerfella at night as the empire state is lit up in all different colours at night and if you are standing at the top of it you cant see it!

I tend to wander around a bit, through the park and down the shopping streets, its a good place to just have a walk and see the sights.

There are a few companies that do free tours, http://www.bigapplegreeter.org/ is one of them, you book with them and you get a local to show you around, Ive never done it as I have a friend who lives there anyway but I imagine its a good way to see past some of the touristy things.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

norfolkluego

posted on 14/10/11 at 12:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by martinq357

As for the flight, steer clear of too much alcohol & keep hydrated. NY is a 6 - 7 hour flight so not too long, a meal, movie & a doze (although probably not the doze with a 4 year old - been there!!) should see you the other side of the Atlantic.

Martin.

Well, I've just come back from Australia (second time this year) and that's a lot, lot further than NY, I didn't steer clear of the alcohol, wear your flight socks, drink plenty of water or fruit juice, get up and move about a bit and drink what you want.

As for the flight, pick the biggest aircraft you can, on that route probably a 747/A330/A340, huge wingspan so turbulence not really a problem. Try to avoid flying on a 777, they have a weird 3-3-3 layout. If you're flying scheduled you should be able to reserve your seat online 24 hours before the flight, A330 has a 2-4-2 layout, try to reserve the 2 so you get window seats and don't sit next to a stranger (last 8-10 rows on most 747s are also 2-4-2).

PS don't think the WTC museum is open until next year

[Edited on 14/10/11 by norfolkluego]

Ninehigh

posted on 14/10/11 at 12:28 AM Reply With Quote
I've been watching a documentary about it and from what I gather the museum is open now (it was opened at a ceremony on the 10 year anniversary) but some parts won't be opened until next year.

Son will be 4 by then and really all he wants to do is run round, climb, slide and run round some more so I shall be trying to convince her to leave him with my parents.

How long should I book? I was thinking a week but maybe longer?

franky

posted on 14/10/11 at 06:16 AM Reply With Quote
I've been a couple of times, I reckon a 4 night trip would be fine, use the subway to get everywhere. You can fly to Newyork for 3 nights then down to Washington DC for a couple(drive or train) and fly back from there. Washington DC is a great city too.
FASTdan

posted on 14/10/11 at 06:25 AM Reply With Quote
Think we did 4 nights which was about right although I am sure there was plenty more we could have done. Great city I loved it.

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
mds167

posted on 14/10/11 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
We were planning to go next month but you know what they say about 'best laid plans..."
If you're not used to flying, consider Premium Economy or your carrier's equivalent if available.
Space can be a bit tight, even on a 747.
I would suggest minimal alcohol and occasional movement on a long flight.

New York is amazing.
The subway ride from the airport to Manhattan is a bit of an eyeopener first thing - some people take a limo/taxi but you do get views out over suburbia.
Depending on your tastes, research potential eating places before you go - we really struggled to find nice (and cheap) places to eat but I'm sure people on here could provide recommendations.
You can walk to most places you'd like to visit but there's the subway too.
Central Park is fantastic, huge. Great in autumn.
We spent four days wandering, avoided all the known sites (Empire State, Liberty ferry/statue, etc) because my wife had seen them all before so just walked around and absorbed it.

I'm sure you'll have a great time!

woodster

posted on 14/10/11 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
i can recommend this hotel we had a week there this time last year you'll have a great time

http://hotelgiraffe.com/

cliftyhanger

posted on 14/10/11 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
We were there in the summer, and surprisingly I really enjoyed it. Even did a half marathon, but thats another story.
Anyway, we took the kids, but the are older (14 and 16) so I would say leave the nipper at home.

We stayed near central park, Newton Hotel. Cheapish, well kept and fairly quiet. I would recommend it anyday. 1 minute to subway stop that the express trains stopped at, that is important as it save loads of time.
We got one of those "7 tickets for $70" or whatever it was. The empire state building was amazing, and the commentary headset thingy was brilliant. Usually they are rubbish, but I was gobsmacked at how entertaining it was. Also did, a river trip and a few museums/art places. Didn't understand the Guggenheim exhibition though. But worth a look from the outside just for the building.
Times square brilliant for a while, as all the girls enjoyed the shopping. Chinatown was a bit worrying, as we thought we would eat there, but soon changed our minds. Little Italy is now very little, but great places to eat.
Found the street fruit vendors were superb for snacks. You get really fed up with food after a while, and the portions are huge.
Saying that I was shocked as I can't remember seeing anybody with a BMI over 25!!!
WTC we had a look at. Just looked very big. And the centre we visited was pretty small. But right down in the financial district, so that is a 1/2 day.
Have a picnic in central park, again a great way to lunch.

timewise, 5 nights ample. Especially if no sprog

JoelP

posted on 14/10/11 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
We had a good time there a few years ago. My wife loved the 'sex and the city tour', yours might if she liked the series. Also, gay as it sounds, a show on broadway is actually quite fun.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

T66

posted on 14/10/11 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Without reading the thread -

Dont necessarily opt for an hotel on 42nd Street etc, ie in the expensive middle of town, the subway is very cheap and stops everywhere.

Last time we stayed on 43Rd Street - Best Western , heavenly beds in the rooms, really good spec, but for the time you are there 3-4 days, and the time you are in the room, all you will do is sleep. So high spec rooms while nice to do's arent essential.

www.menupages.com - use this site to pick where your going to have brreakfast/evening meals etc , worked a treat. We used a really cheap diner for breakfast, only $3 each. Pre selecting where you eat and drink will save a LOT of wandering about.

If you go in their winter, make sure you have good quality winter clothing, they get plenty snow, and the windchill is pretty bad, we both came back with nice rosy chapped thighs. It is very cold !

Through the day I wore a gilet and hat & gloves, at night my big North face came out - essential !

Must do - Zabars Deli - The most fresh bread options Ive ever seen in one place, and cheese and ham and and and...

Dont do the helicopters , they crash and are very expensive.

Huge battleship / carrier moored on the west side is worth a look

And if you like beer your in for a treat, they only send the fizzy p1ss here, and keep the dark malts for over there. Bareknuckle stout, Heartlands Brewery , the Guinness is expensive...

Smiths Bar - http://www.smithsbar.com/ - My mates daughter lives NY and recomended Smiths , and I wanted a good Irish Bar - doesnt get much better, great bands, free flowing Irish beer , left at 2am full of beer.

Brilliant place - Never stops - Cops everywhere so safe as its going to be.

[Edited on 14/10/11 by T66]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.