Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: single seater
kj

posted on 14/10/11 at 06:57 AM Reply With Quote
single seater

Hi,

Just found this on the haynes forum an up date for the single seater.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/saturnsportscars/sets/72157627657443099/

Think about it, think about it again and then do it.

D Beddows

posted on 14/10/11 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
I understand that it's not the finished item but........... sorry, that's horrible in so many ways Why on earth you'd build that instead of a Terrapin is beyond me.
MikeR

posted on 14/10/11 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
I have to admit that after lusting for this over the last two years I was very disappointed by the pictures and my quick brain dump.... for example the seating position is very upright.

Hopefully some better ones will be out soon.

slingshot2000

posted on 14/10/11 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
I understand that it's not the finished item but........... sorry, that's horrible in so many ways Why on earth you'd build that instead of a Terrapin is beyond me.

^+1

chris mason

posted on 14/10/11 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
It had so much promise, then i saw the pictures oh dear................................................

Is the kit available from Screwfix, Plumbcentre or B&Q?

foskid

posted on 14/10/11 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
I can't see that one catching on
TimC

posted on 14/10/11 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
Nasty

StevieB

posted on 14/10/11 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
+1 for the terrapin.

The Haynes car looks a bit disproportionately large but the seating position look incredibly cramped around the arms/legs but with the driver sat very upright.

Having said that, it'll still catch on in the same way as the Haynes roadster, which also IMHO is just a bit wrong in it's proportions (too big).

I have a copy of High Speed Low Cost and am trying to get a set of plans - I'd love to make it one day with a bike engine in.

Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 14/10/11 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
My eyes my eyes they hurt the pain..........................

looks like the motor cover mould was taken from some american style coffin !!!

Me thinks Mr Stainforth (R.I.P) would be chuckling at the sight of that thing.

I reckon Haynes publishing has told them to get the finger out so a book can be published and this is the result !!!

[Edited on 14/10/2011 by Hector.Brocklebank]

sprouts-car

posted on 14/10/11 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
I see lots of love for the Terrapin in this thread.

Never seen one before. Is this it?

If so I dont think much of that either!!

Where are the nice single seaters?

Build blog

StevieB

posted on 14/10/11 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
The terrapin has been around since the early 60's (IIRC the original book was printed in 1963). So, the terrapin has taken many different forms in both looks and construction over the years - plenty people have used the base design and gone their own way with the overall build.

The main difference between a terrapin and the Haynes single seater is that the terrapin is a proper race car, not something made to look like one.

This is one the best looking terrapins IMHO, and it's bloody quick too (in the right hands).

Check out terrapinracing.co.uk for lots of other information on the car and it's many guises over the years - the gallery for new builds has a particularly nice example of an old school A-Series powered car that I think was built by someone who uses this forum.

Mark Allanson

posted on 14/10/11 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
The Haynes guys seem to be in love with it. Looks like the front wishbones will hit the chassis with even a minor upward deflection and it looks like a fracture or a 'dent' in the nosecone at the rear of the front wishbone.

[Edited on 14/10/11 by Mark Allanson]

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

steve m

posted on 14/10/11 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
Nothing to with either of the above, but was on the side of the terrapin link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk89EqfGme4&feature=related

what a noise!

D Beddows

posted on 14/10/11 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
Terrapins can be ugly as sin as well tbh but that's mostly down to what bodywork the builder uses/makes. It's not all about looks though as I'm sure you could make the haynes single seater look better if you made some different bodywork - you'd have to I think looking at those pictures

Terrapins are hardly at the bleeding edge of racecar engineering either but but they do have a long history of hillclimb success and I'm pretty sure for most of us your driving talent would run out before you found any serious handling limitations.

To be fair the Haynes book might be a useful read if it contains a decent idiots guide to properly making your own chain diff etc etc but as to actually building the car yourself..................

off-road-ham

posted on 14/10/11 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
if you read the post on the haynes forum he says it was the first test session last week and they have had to do a lot of work since then.

i would want to wait for the finished model before making judgement.
as for the terrapin, does anyone know what would be needed to pass iva.

also in true locost fashion you can change the outside to suit your own taste.

i suspect there will be a lot of people (includeing myself) who will go for this simply because you know it will pass iva
and you will get parts easly.

Mark Allanson

posted on 14/10/11 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sprouts-car
I see lots of love for the Terrapin in this thread.

Never seen one before. Is this it?

If so I dont think much of that either!!

Where are the nice single seaters?

They are still stuck in 1966!

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Triton

posted on 14/10/11 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
I quite like that terrapin, but then I'm a 60's bod and hate modern cars

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mad-butcher

posted on 14/10/11 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry but I've waited years (even had the book on pre-order) what an ugly looking thing, looks to me as if someones taken the front frame and independent suspension rear end of an indy/locost/mac1 and welded a few bits of steel between them to form a chassis, wishbones look std 7, driving position is horrible (last thing I drove with a driving position like that was a saracen armoured car) much prefer Martin Keenans single seater, sorry but I'll be looking at something else for the spare R1 motor.

tony

[Edited on 14/10/11 by mad-butcher]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Steve Hignett

posted on 14/10/11 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
As above (mostly)

The Terrapin is a design from the 60's but the general chassis proportions are cocrrect. So you could make bodywork to make it look pretty, whereas that Haynes Single Seater is just about ALL wrong in my humble opinion... It looks like not only the bodywork was made for the american market, but the chassis Dims and proportion were also - as for dents in the dents in the bodywork etc, it's just where two moulds have been (eventually) made to produce a single part and has been done very poorly...

Ironically, I was not waiting for the Single Seater book to be launched to build one myself, as I won't have the money for toys for some years, but I was really looking forward to it, in the way a schoolboy might look forward to his favourite annual etc - would have definitely bought it, if it looked even remotely well proportioned...

Anything anywhere near the ccar in the Pic below would be an improvement...

norfolkluego

posted on 14/10/11 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
Well that looks like a Tiger ERA, I like that, prefer their Lotus 15(?) copy though
Mark Allanson

posted on 14/10/11 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
It could have been so good
Lotus
Lotus

Haynes Single Seater
Haynes Single Seater

perhaps some stickers might help it along a bit?

D Beddows

posted on 14/10/11 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Lol completely OT but I seem to have started an Avatar trend with the MX5 owning among us

[Edited on 14/10/11 by D Beddows]

Confused but excited.

posted on 14/10/11 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
Is it just me , or does the engine cover look too much like half a coffin lid ? Not that I'm superstitious or anything.
Perhaps the design was influenced by the Munsters dragster.
On the plus side , it does appear to have central heating.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

kipper

posted on 14/10/11 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
single seater

Well I am disappointed, I was looking forward to seeing this so much.
Oh well I don,t think I will be buying the book and clearing a space in the workshop for that.
Denis.

Where did that go?
<<<<

JC

posted on 14/10/11 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
The looks aren't anything to shout about, however they are not as nice as they might be though. The front track looks much wider than the rear - might be an illusion. However, the killer for me is the upright seat (might be different with an actual seat in?) and the fact that the steering wheel appears to be in the drivers 'nether' regions!

Another vote for a classic looking terrapin (have book but not plans )

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.