Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra M/S without Servo
webbey

posted on 15/10/11 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
Sierra M/S without Servo

Hi There,

I am building a Ford Focus based kitcar which looks a bit like a MEV Rocket, I am making up a pedal box and have a few spares kicking about which includes a sierra master cylinder mounted to the servo, I was wondering if I removed the M/S from the servo and mounted it to my floor mounted pedal box with a homemade rod would it be good enough to run my brakes.
I have ford focus rear calipers and MX5 front calipers, I thought that a sierra was a big heavy car and mine will be quite light so I wouldn’t need the servo because I will not fit in the car.
Has anyone tried this or knows if this will work?

britishtrident

posted on 15/10/11 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Not a good idea as master cylinders for use with servos have bigger bores than non-servoed system and also your pedals will be shorter and only have half the leverage of Sierra pedals add the lack of assistance and the brake pedal effort will be much heavier.

If you want to used tandem cylinder you need a smaller bore master cylinder --- look at previous posts but Fiat 124 is a popular choice other candidates include early VW Polo & golf without servo these cylinders are available very cheaply from suppliers such as Brakes International.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

40inches

posted on 15/10/11 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
When I built the 2B I left the servo on, way overbraked and not a lot of feel. Took servo off and it was much better all round.
Most MK's are built with no servo and the Sierra master cylinder fitted, but the effective pedal is much longer than the Sierra's.

theconrodkid

posted on 15/10/11 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
what MR Trident said,been there got the T shirt etc.
another good bit about FIAT 124 cylinders is,they use a remote reservoir

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

webbey

posted on 15/10/11 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
I have had a look on eBay and the FIAT 124 cylinder looks like it was fitted to a servo, is that the case or is there a version that had no M/S?
Mark Allanson

posted on 15/10/11 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
I am running 22mm sierra M/C with M16's up front and Capri drums at the back and the setup is just about perfect, I just removed the servo and ran the plunger rod directly in to the M/C.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

whitestu

posted on 15/10/11 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
It'll work fine without a servo on the Sierra MC but as said you will get better feel and progression with a smaller bore MC like the Fiat 124 one mentioned [this is part number BMC4020 on the Brakes International website and is less than £20].

With the Sierra MC standard brakes need a lot of leg effort.

I swapped from a Sierra 22mm mc to the above 19mm Fiat one and it was a worthwhile improvement. The pedal movement is longer but the brakes are more powerful and progressive.

Stu

webbey

posted on 15/10/11 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
it looks like i need to make a top mounted pedal box so i can have longer pedals
Mark Allanson

posted on 15/10/11 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by webbey
it looks like i need to make a top mounted pedal box so i can have longer pedals

Just use the ones that came with the sierra, really simple.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

webbey

posted on 15/10/11 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
it is a shame I don’t have a set but I also need the clutch to be hydraulic and I think the sierra is cable so I think I am back to making a pedal box, if anyone could please tell me the length of a Sierra brake pedal from pivot to the end also from pivot to where the M/S joins I will have all the info I need to get started

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.