Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: RSJ Selection, Structural Engineer Invoice
FASTdan

posted on 17/10/11 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
RSJ Selection, Structural Engineer Invoice

As we have a wealth of experience on here in all fields just wondered what people thought of this price....

Basically we're pulling a wall down in our new house, supporting wall and therefore needs the usual steel RSJ. I've just had the invoice through from the structural engineer who was employed to size said beam (someone the architect used so I wasnt involved in finding this service). Price £180.

Does this sound normal to anyone who's had experience in this? I'm a mechanical engineer myself, and can therefore say with reasonable assurance (having skimmed the calc sheet myself) that it cant have taken more than an hour all in. I'd go as far as to say it may even have been a case of banging a couple of inputs into a standard spreadsheet.

I appreciate the level of responsibility, liability etc so perhaps it is the norm? Just seems a lot regardless.

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
MikeFellows

posted on 17/10/11 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
I paid £225 6 years ago - this was for 2 RSJ and included a site vist, so £180 doesnt seem over the odds

I agree with your statement though - probably takes him 10 mins in a pre setup spreadsheet, your paying for his qualifications/experience too

mcerd1

posted on 17/10/11 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeFellows
...your paying for his qualifications/experience too

...and his insurance

[Edited on 17/10/2011 by mcerd1]

-

tegwin

posted on 17/10/11 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
We had a structural engineer simply look at our subtaranean garage and make some very simple drawings of the structure and how best to strengthen it.... cost nearly £400... and the resulting suggestions were nothing that I had not already considered myself....

So yes... that sounds about right :-s

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

JoelP

posted on 17/10/11 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
quote:
Originally posted by MikeFellows
...your paying for his qualifications/experience too

...and his insurance

and ten weeks holidays a year, plus the villa...

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

FASTdan

posted on 17/10/11 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
hmmm, not a million miles out, but just to note that mine wasn't for any site visits. So your guy did twice the calc work and visited your property, albeit 6 years ago....

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
mcerd1

posted on 17/10/11 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
Up here you don't need to get an engineer to sign off anything for you, but if you don't then the building control lot will want to see calcs for everything (...well depending on how much of a tool the guy is - round here they are all nighmares)

I design steelwork for a living but don't have the right bits of paperwork to sign these things off, so by the time I'd spent the time on all the detailed calc's I'd have to charge 5x as much as that for the time alone

so I assume it works in a similar way down your way (south of the border)

-

jossey

posted on 17/10/11 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
i paid £336 for calcs in 2010

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
fishywick

posted on 17/10/11 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
Always good to see you've got something cheaper than others......

I've just paid £75 for building control calcs for 3 x Steel beams to support an opening in a rubble wall 2.4m wide.
Although to be fair I know the guy and I think the going rate is more like £150.

Was it 178 x 102 x 19kg by chance, that's all I've ever seen for domestic stuff but I'm sure there are others!

FASTdan

posted on 17/10/11 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fishywick
Always good to see you've got something cheaper than others......

I've just paid £75 for building control calcs for 3 x Steel beams to support an opening in a rubble wall 2.4m wide.
Although to be fair I know the guy and I think the going rate is more like £150.

Was it 178 x 102 x 19kg by chance, that's all I've ever seen for domestic stuff but I'm sure there are others!

No its 203x133x (whatever the kg/m is, cant remember off top of my head). Span of approx 3.2m, downstairs load bearing internal wall.

Sounds like you got mates rates at that, I was personally expecting say £80 for a single beam calc.

mcerd1

posted on 17/10/11 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FASTdan
No its 203x133x (whatever the kg/m is, cant remember off top of my head). Span of approx 3.2m, downstairs load bearing internal wall.

it'll be 25 or 30 kg/m

chances are you'd pay alot less per beam if you had more than one needing done....

-

Guinness

posted on 17/10/11 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds reasonable.

He's had to pay for a degree, plus all the drinking. Now he's got a car, office, wife, secretary to support as well as paying his insurance.

Ben_Copeland

posted on 17/10/11 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
Theres a nice lady on here that did all my calculations for my garage extension and first floor extension.... Much cheaper than any of said prices... Although they were simple calculations for her.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Peteff

posted on 17/10/11 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
A mate of mine did the plans for mine and a mate of his did the calcs for £30 in the hand. It's a piece of paper to show the building inspector when all's said and done.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.