Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cash machine.. I mean speed camera
Ninehigh

posted on 24/10/11 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
Cash machine.. I mean speed camera

Just took stepson to work, on the way down I noticed there was one of those speed camera vans on the other side of the road disappearing in my mirror. Oh pants I've just been caught doing 60 in a 50.. (bugger I've only had a clean licence for 6 months too!)

On the way back it's occured to me "why didn't I see it on approach?" Well that's because it's under the motorway bridge and barely visible from that direction. I've also come onto this site and if you look inbetween Capenhurst and Backford (Ellesmere port, cheshire) on the A41 as it goes under the M56 (the van was there) shows there's nothing supposed to be there.

I'm going to get some pictures now, but do they really have a leg to stand on? Is it a case that they're just there to slow people down? I promise you if I'd have seen it I would.

hughpinder

posted on 24/10/11 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
It might have been one of those that just checks the road tax/insurance if you're lucky
Regards
Hugh

vinny1275

posted on 24/10/11 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
ISTR that some people have managed to get let off if the van's been parked illegally / dangerously - given that some forces have disguised theirs as builders vans (complete with pasty wrappers / copy of the Sun in the windscreen), I imagine they'll get away with hiding it.

As Hugh said tho, it might just have been an ANPR van. Which side of the road were the camera windows facing btw? They normally face the cameras at oncoming traffic, as they need to correlate the camera image with the speed detection gubbins, and that's easier if you can see the traffic coming towards you, rather than away...

deezee

posted on 24/10/11 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
That link seems to be fixed speed camera locations. They are free to check your speed any where, that's why they are mobile vans. It sounds rude but they must have chosen an area where people don't obey the speed limit, because you have publicly admitted speeding. I'm not taking the moral high ground here. I've been caught doing 35 in a 30 on a mobile van.

Just have to wait to see if a letter comes through the post

graememk

posted on 24/10/11 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
i'm a big fan of taking a photo of these vans parked in the wrong place, however no excuse for speeding still.

[Edited on 24/10/11 by graememk]

adithorp

posted on 24/10/11 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
I think you'll find it's the speed limit that you're supposed to slow down for and not just when there's a camera/van there. The vans/cameras are just there to catch those who disregard the set limit.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Canada EH!

posted on 24/10/11 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
We had those

Booted the Provincial Government out along with the speed vans some years ago, They also liked to hide in odd places. As a former Minion, I have also used camoflage in areas that sorely deserved speed control, ie, school zones, residences for the elderly.
mistergrumpy

posted on 24/10/11 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I think you'll find it's the speed limit that you're supposed to slow down for and not just when there's a camera/van there. The vans/cameras are just there to catch those who disregard the set limit.

I have to agree there. It matters not where the van was, you were caught out fair and square.

Ninehigh

posted on 24/10/11 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpy
quote:

I have to agree there. It matters not where the van was, you were caught out fair and square.

Ah but my point is that if the van shouldn't have been there then I wasn't caught fair and square

Wheels244

posted on 24/10/11 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
It would appear that we have some people on here who never, ever, ever go over any speed limit, mmmmmm I wonder
Macbeast

posted on 24/10/11 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
It's not just police - our council employees think they can park anywhere they like, as here - on a yellow line, in restricted hours, on a corner, obstructing the view of anyone joining the main road.

One law for them, another for the rest of us poor bastards.

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

samjc

posted on 24/10/11 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
Theirs a guys who does the forktruck licences at my work who loves this and council miss haps he looks this stuff up for fun and harrasses the police and councils for not following their own rules, quiet amasing I enjoy quizzing him on odd laws such as were cameras are placed their has to be signs in sight at set distances from the cameras and if you can proove their parked ellegaly which ive seen on the entrance to private land(farmers driveway ) they can only monotor and give warning no penaltys.
Ninehigh

posted on 1/11/11 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
Right then since they've sent the ticket and google is as forthcoming with the law as usual (i.e. none) can anyone tell me if speed camera locations have to be published?

Ninehigh

posted on 2/11/11 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
Nothing?

graememk

posted on 3/11/11 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote

owelly

posted on 3/11/11 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
I recall a recent court case where someone challenged the authorities over a speeding ticket when the camera van was parked behind a bus shelter. After each side had stated their cases, costing several thousand pounds in solicitors and barristers, the judge simply asked, "were you exceeding the prescribed speed limit...?". The accused started to repeat his case and the judge held up his hand and stopped him before asking the same question. The guy said "yes I was, but......" At which point the judge declared that the speeding ticket was valid and the guy had to cough-up. He also stated that if the accused wanted to claim any wrong-doings on the way he was caught speeding, then that would be a different case altogether and had nothing to do with the fact yhat the guy was driving too fast.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ninehigh

posted on 3/11/11 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
So do they have to be in published locations?

Wheels244

posted on 3/11/11 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
This might help.
Quite a long document though.

http://www.saferroads.org/wpcms/wp-content/uploads/ACPO.tmp_.pdf

Ninehigh

posted on 3/11/11 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like that might well have the info I need thanks

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.