Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lotus Excel
probablyleon

posted on 29/10/11 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Lotus Excel

Right... having finally talked myself out of buying a Fiat Coupe, (thanks mostly to some excellent and knowledgable advice from this forum) but still looking for a more interesting alternative to my dying Pug 406, my eyes have been drawn to the slightly unlikely charms of Lotus Excels. I'm fully aware of the old L(oads) O(f) T(trouble), U(sually) S(erious) adage but these look a bit more promising. Built mostly from Toyota Supra bits, galvanised chassis etc. they're apparently one of the most practical cars Lotus ever made?!? Combine this with the fact that I'm one of the only people in the known universe that actually likes them, they're also pretty cheap. I reckon 3k should get me something pretty decent.

Anyone one here had any experience of them or can talk me out of it, before I do something stupid?

SeaBass

posted on 29/10/11 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Having worked extensively on a friends collection of Loti, in particular a Europa and Esprit of a similar vintage I would tread carefully. They are rewarding when you get everything working however. James
Bare

posted on 29/10/11 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Really!? A Fiat is FAR less trouble.
But hey! buy the Lotus and 'get into it' for a while and post your current feelings then :-)
It will make for an amusing tale.

[Edited on 29/10/11 by Bare]

uklee70

posted on 29/10/11 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
I have thought about this to

But I was thinking of an engine swap for a Diesel!!!

they look good fun and if you get rid of the highly strung lotus twin cam and doggy electrics. You are left with toyota parts.

so I was thinking of either a BMW 4 pot diesel or a toyota both good for nearly 200bhp so would be great fun and you would get 40 to 50 mpg !!!

So I'm with you go for it. I would if I had the money maybe next year if there is any spare after I've paid tor my new twin girls. The pram alone was £800 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers Lee

tony.g

posted on 29/10/11 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
I owned one of these a couple of years ago.
It is an under rated car.
I used it on the road and for trackdays with no problems.

Go for it. you won't regret it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tilly819

posted on 29/10/11 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
iv been fixing my boss's while we had a bit of a quiet spell at work, what a piece of st1t, if it aint fibreglass its rusty, galvo chassis maybe, but they forgot to protect everything they bolted to it.

the window seals leek like buggry so all the electric window mec rusts, the door seals are crap, the driving position is awe full unless you are a hobbit, if you are over 6ft forget wearing a helmet and taking it on a track day because you head is already touching the roof without the helmet on and the interior and seats look like they came from Axminster carpets.

on the plus side it does handle fairly well but is quite heavy, about 1200 IIRC and a little under powered about 150hp IIRC

oh and did i mention it is Fugly from anything other than a front view, and it only looks good from the front because it almost looks a little bit like a 944

in my opinion one of the worst cars lotus ever built.

hopefully i dont get slated by the purists

tilly

ps, practical HAHAHAHA, if by that you mean it has a boot then yes, but the back seats are made for dwarfs or people with no legs.

you are probably getting the fact that im not really a fan ...

[Edited on 29/10/11 by tilly819]

steve m

posted on 30/10/11 at 01:34 AM Reply With Quote
Remember what LOTUS stands for

Lots of trouble usually serious

My old 67 Lotus 2+2 was dreadfull !

snapper

posted on 30/10/11 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
I know of a Lotus Esprit in need of some love I could probably get for under 1k

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

probablyleon

posted on 30/10/11 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Tempted as I am, I think if I rolled up in a clapped out old Esprit, under the guise of a more interesting yet (hopefully) quite reliable daily drive, the wife might smell a rat. She's certainly no petrol head and I can occasionally get things past her, based on her lack of automotive knowledge... I'm good, but not that good Also, I'm not sure I'm ready for the 'Onslow cast as James Bond' look quite yet.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.