Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: unlocking iphone 3gs
madrallysport

posted on 2/11/11 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
unlocking iphone 3gs

Do you know of any free sites that will allow me to unlock my iphone 3gs, i've just upgraded and her indoors wants my old phone, but its locked to orange.

UNDERSTEER is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
OVERSTEER is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
HORSEPOWER is how fast you hit the wall.
TORQUE is how far you take the wall with you.

designer

posted on 2/11/11 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
There must be a shop nearby who will do it for next to nothing.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
efiniste

posted on 2/11/11 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
Orange should do it for you. The o2 site has a request form for unlocking theirs, takes about 48 hours to come through, you don't have to physically do anything with the phone. Orange should have something similar.

Steve

pekwah1

posted on 2/11/11 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
it's not that difficult depending on what baseband and firmware you have installed.
Check a site called Redmondpie, it has articles on most unlocks/jailbreaks, it's where i got all the stuff for when i did mine!

ChrisW

posted on 2/11/11 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
I rung O2 and they unlocked mine for me, once they'd checked I was out of contract of course!

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeFellows

posted on 2/11/11 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
a jailbreak is not a permanent 'unlock'

you wont be able to update to the latest firmware as and when until a new jailbreak is available (if at all), the last time I looked on ios 4 you needed a mac to do an untehtered jailbreak otherwise if the iphone powers down it will need jailbreaking again (same with turning it off and back on)

get the provider to unlock it, once they confirm there is no contract on that phone

pekwah1

posted on 2/11/11 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
there is a big difference between unlocking and jailbreaking.

Unlocking is the act of modifying the firmware to allow any carrier.

Jailbreaking is allowing the use of 3rd party software (cydia) in order to modify system files etc and install dodgy and maybe illegal software/apps.

If you unlock you do not need to jailbreak as well.
However you are corect about the tethered jailbreak, although this is for IOS5, IOS4 has been jailbroken for ages!

travelguide

posted on 6/4/13 at 03:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
I rung O2 and they unlocked mine for me, once they'd checked I was out of contract of course!
Chris

I agree with you...the network provider provides the unlocking service only when the contract period gets over.I recently unlocked my phone...I did not receive proper signal in my area so I approached the network provider to unlock...so that I can switch to another network.But since the phone was in contract.....they denied to unlock my phone.I then approached a reliable third party unlocking vendor, Superunlockcodes.com wherein they provided the remote unlocking service for my iPhone 3GS...and I was able to remove the restriction to the particular network....Now I have changed my carrier.

geoff shep

posted on 7/4/13 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

You don't have to be out of contract, My 'in-contract' 4s was unlocked but done over the phone and took a week or more. My old 3gs which was no longer in use was done using the online form and done in a few hours. Other half's 4s has just been unlocked the same way and all done in a couple of hours. All on O2. Orange must have something similar.

johnny chimpo

posted on 7/4/13 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
Orange will do it for you.... I was going to get them to do my 3GS a month ago when I upgraded to a iPhone 5. I called orange and they wanted £22 to do it and it could take up to 21 working days!!!!

In the end I sold the phone on Gumtree and didn't bother getting it unlocked.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.