Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Vin Plate Position
Black Cat

posted on 7/11/11 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
Vin Plate Position

Gentlemen,

I know the vin number needs to be positioned on the off side of the car on the chassis so I have welded a plate with it on to part of the lower box section.

I have a feeling the IVA won’t like this as they believe it can be cut off and replaced.

Apart from being positioned on the off side, can it be in any position that is on a top part of the box section near the bonnet as I don’t think I can get a number stamped into to the lowers box section due to a severe lack of space to swing a hammer?

Any help with this question would be greatly appreciated.

mistergrumpy

posted on 7/11/11 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
I stmaped mine onto a piece of steel and then welded it, upwards facing, onto the box section besides the steering column support then sprayed it over with clear laquer and had no issues at SVA.
deezee

posted on 7/11/11 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
I stamped a piece of metal on the workbench then welded it to a chassis rail in the engine bay, above the pedal box. IVA man in Chadderton had no problem with this. I also lacquered it to stop it rusting.

adithorp

posted on 7/11/11 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
I did as above and passed at Chadderton, although I have heard of some stations not liking that. It should be good enough as long as there's sufficient weld and not just couple of spots. The trouble with stamping into the box section is it tends to dent the tube.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Black Cat

posted on 7/11/11 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
That exactly what I was thinking adithorp, denting the box section. I thought if I stamped it on the edge of the box section there might be enough support to prevent it denting.

From the consensus then, it’s just the welded plate

There again, it’s probably going to fail on something so it might as well be this as any thing else.

Many thanks for all your comments.

Dave Bailey

posted on 7/11/11 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
does it really have to be welded?... I have a lovely powder coated chassis and didn't want to have to weld through it...
ShaunB

posted on 7/11/11 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
My advise would be to put it somwhere easily readable with the bonnet off so, to make the MOT mans life easier. They hate my Westfield because it's on a lower chassis rail and a sod to see.
adithorp

posted on 7/11/11 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bailey
does it really have to be welded?... I have a lovely powder coated chassis and didn't want to have to weld through it...

Affraid so. It's either stamp to tube and risk denting it or weld a plate on well enough to be considered permiently part of the chassis.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.