Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: zx10 airbox
turbo911

posted on 9/11/11 at 05:04 AM Reply With Quote
zx10 airbox

hi all, looking for some advice on what to do concerning the air box on my zx10 powered car, at the mo we have a custom made air box which is catching the underside of the bonnet and also the aluminium is fracturing from vibration, so i,m going to have a redesign of my inlet system, the bike was designed to run the kawaski ram air system which i think would be good to keep anyone know what diameter the feed needs to be?? at the mo were running about 3'' diameter on our inlet which feeds the airbox, i have read somewhere before that these fuel injected engines run much better with a airbox rather than just a filter on top, anyone shed any light on this ???
what i have planned at the moment is to run twin inlets fed from the bonnet via twin scoops around 3'' each 6'' in total to a custom made filter housing holding a panel filter then reducing that down to a 4-5'' pipe on to a kind of plenum chamber which will be connected to the throttle bodies,

any help or advise very welcome cheers.....

russbost

posted on 9/11/11 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
No experience with the ZX10 engine in particular, but can certainly confirm bike engines run much better with an airbox rather than direct filter, with the ZZR1400 airbox volume should be around 8 litres, would expect probs similar or a little less for the ZX10. Ram air doesn't make much difference even at very high speeds it's only around 4bhp IIRC, but obviously drawing fresh cool air from outside rather than hot air from under the bonnet will help so I would stick with the external scoops idea. HTH

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 9/11/11 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

I personally feel a properly sized air-box with filter and inlet being fed from a cold external feed, is a must.

It could be made from a composite material, you could bolt a composite air-box to the ZX10R inlet face plate and have the rubber gasket that is already there to help add some vibration damping.

Then you could also shape and size a composite filter box to suit your under-bonnet height restrictions, but still obtain an ideal volume in liters.

For me I would get a black plastic bag and fill it with x amount of liters of expanded foam and place it over the throttle bodies and throw the bonnet on and use the hardened shape as an approximate means to make a mould. from which your air-box would be made from.

The moulded air-box could also be mounted on rubber bobbins to help with vibration issues and the composite (be it GRP or carbon/kevlar) would take away the issue of Ally fracturing.

the air-box could then be fed from the outside air by means of a suitably sized tubular duct with an inline filter.

cheers

Some people can never handle the truth and always try to shoot the messenger instead of taking an honest look in the mirror (its always easier to blame another than to face reality), but secretly they wish they could grow a pair and be the messenger !!!

turbo911

posted on 9/11/11 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys thanks for your input the plastic bag idea is great thks...
matt_gsxr

posted on 9/11/11 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by turbo911
Cheers guys thanks for your input the plastic bag idea is great thks...

Please video your exploits with the expanding foam. Always starts out looking easy and ends chaotic.

I built one from folded aluminium sheet which I quite liked as a method.

Matt

Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 9/11/11 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr

Please video your exploits with the expanding foam. Always starts out looking easy and ends chaotic.

The secret is to use either thick black plastic bin bags, or use about 4 inside each other so you keep control of the foam a bit better, scoosh foam in the bag, tie wrap shut, place bag where you want, run like F***.......... and watch it grow from a safe distance.

Some people can never handle the truth and always try to shoot the messenger instead of taking an honest look in the mirror (its always easier to blame another than to face reality), but secretly they wish they could grow a pair and be the messenger !!!

turbo911

posted on 10/11/11 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
sounds ike a disaster waiting to happen if that foam leaks out it will stick to my immaculate engine bay like poo to a blanket!!!!
BobM

posted on 10/11/11 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
I made one with expanding foam for my ZX10 engined car. I used the base plate from the stock bike airbox and made up an oversized cardboard box in which I let the foam do its stuff. I then carved/sanded the block of foam to shape and covered it in GRP then hacked the foam out of the middle.

Here's the foam blank:

And here's the finished article:

The story and more pics are here http://www.furybusa.org.uk/blog/?p=2195

I'll probably redo it over the winter as I didn't make the GRP quite thick enough and it's cracked in places.

Not very Locost but very BEC

turbo911

posted on 11/11/11 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote
Many thanks.....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.