Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Poppies
bobinspain

posted on 11/11/11 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
Poppies

Don't forget to wear your poppies with pride this weekend chaps and chapesses.11/11/11. timed at 11.11.
russbost

posted on 11/11/11 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
+1

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
MakeEverything

posted on 11/11/11 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
I've been wearing one all week, in fact, I lost the first one so had to buy another. The looks of disproval from certain faiths in London is shocking.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

bobinspain

posted on 11/11/11 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
I've been wearing one all week, in fact, I lost the first one so had to buy another. The looks of disproval from certain faiths in London is shocking.

All the more reason to wear the biggest, in-your-face poppy you can find Richard.
It was only a last minute volte-face that prevented a 'poppy burning ceremony' by the heathen scum.
It makes my blood boil. It really does.
Please read "The Last Englishman" by Lt. Col. A. D. Wintle. He had the right idea.

theconrodkid

posted on 11/11/11 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
i had a problem finding one this year,luckily i now have one,as for funny looks,i dont give a monkies about anyone elses imaginary friends,if you dont like it here,you know where the door is

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

bbwales

posted on 11/11/11 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
Hi, I have been given the honour of laying a wreath on the local cenotaph am well made up and I feel very much the same if we weren't such an open country then we wouldn't have these so called brits wanting to burn poppies, without wanting to incite a riot I feel thick ears are required.

Bob

Vindi_andy

posted on 11/11/11 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
I say to those that give me the funny looks "If it wasnt for the men that this poppy commemorates and celebrates you wouldn't be here to be able to give me those looks so just think on that"
Daddylonglegs

posted on 11/11/11 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
......as for funny looks,i dont give a monkies about anyone elses imaginary friends,if you dont like it here,you know where the door is

Well said that man

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

MakeEverything

posted on 11/11/11 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bobinspain
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything

All the more reason to wear the biggest, in-your-face poppy you can find Richard.
It was only a last minute volte-face that prevented a 'poppy burning ceremony' by the heathen scum.
It makes my blood boil. It really does.
Please read "The Last Englishman" by Lt. Col. A. D. Wintle. He had the right idea.

Don't get me wrong, it doesn't intimidate me at all, in fact I quite enjoy the staring back and confrontation. I just think that it's shocking, and this is the first year that I've noticed it. As for burning poppies and opposing armistice day, it is now illegal, but the irony is that we lock them up and feed them for up to 10 years, during which they get out after 5 for good behaviour.

The reason our country is so open is because our government allow idiots to change policy at their own discretion. The latest idiot, not only let uncounted immigrants in to the country, but also allowed an escape from maximum security catA prison. What the feck is he doing at immigration?

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

monck

posted on 11/11/11 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
I have been wearing mine with pride today had 2 min's silence at 11 .....

My views on the following are

Anyone that comes to are country or there family originally came hear should respect are way's regardless of there faith ect and if they have a problem with us wearing one should **** off home ....

After all, We are remembering people who have give there lives for this country. These faiths ovisly don't realize the likes of Hitler for example would have exterminated them !! So they should pay respects also ....

I hope i have not caused offense by the above but it really angers me and i WILL speak my mind !! I think the way the county is now we are letting down the people who thought to protect it unfortunately !!

Ryan

mistergrumpy

posted on 11/11/11 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

there family originally came hear should respect are way's regardless of there faith

Not to be too pedantic but if their family originally came from here (Britain) then there's every chance they too were from here and hence to **** off home they would have to stay.

I just get a little peed off with people telling others of a different race to **** off when in fact there's a good chance these days, being a multi cultural nation, that they were born British and have every righ to remain in this country.

As to respecting our ways regardless of faith, there's this thing that the poppy represents religion somehow. To my knowledge it represents soldiers who died fighting in a war. The Poppy itself represents sleep (opiate) and death (long sleep) and in the case of Flanders filed, the Poppy is actually a weed that grows wild and just happens to be the place where the Americans fought in Belgium. So it's not particularly religious, more representative of a time and place where people fought and died.

quote:

After all, We are remembering people who have give there lives for this country

As above, we are remembering people who fought in the war. Not people who gave their lives for this country.

MakeEverything

posted on 11/11/11 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpy
quote:

there family originally came hear should respect are way's regardless of there faith

Not to be too pedantic but if their family originally came from here (Britain) then there's every chance they too were from here and hence to **** off home they would have to stay.

quote:

After all, We are remembering people who have give there lives for this country

As above, we are remembering people who fought in the war. Not people who gave their lives for this country.

I'd tend to agree here.m they may be more than entitled to remain, but the whole reason that there is a religious element to this is that the extremists (extremist religious types) are opposing armistice because of their beliefs, not ours.

I also agree that we are remembering everyone that died during the war, to include soldiers and fighting forces as well as the victims of the regime and the war itself. In each of our history, we will all have some connections to the impact of the first or second world wars as well as the more recent conflicts.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

pewe

posted on 11/11/11 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
Even if you don't agree with others sacrificing their lives for you at least respect them.
I stopped the car at the Arborfield War Memorial on the way to the MOT this morning and joined about a dozen other people paying their respects.
Just to put into perspective the scale of sacrifice in WW1 alone there were c.50,000 killed on the first day of the Battle of the Somme.
Over the course of WW1 some 15million, repeat 15,000,000 died in action.
I'm wearing my poppy with pride.
Cheers, Pewe

mistergrumpy

posted on 11/11/11 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Even if you don't agree with others sacrificing their lives for you at least respect them.

Absolutely! Couldn't have put it better.

quote:

the extremists (extremist religious types) are opposing armistice because of their beliefs, not ours.

Is it because of their beliefs or is it because of our history? For example Muslims against crusades. There's no doubt that the crusades were brutal and had a strong element of religion about them as well as the whole empire building thing.
Look at the Irish and the Scottish. Are they any different? They were oppressed similarly but there's a few who just simply will not move on from what happened hundreds of years ago and it's these that are the extremists to me. It's not based on their belief, more their lack of wanting to move on and build bridges. Though I must say most of them, I bet, are simply joining in to fit in with their own community. Much like the modern day riots we've had!

Sorry if I'm blabbering on and it's not an attempt to undermine what anyone else has said, it's just something I find genuinely interesting and feel strongly about. Please feel free to tell me to stop or shut up

monck

posted on 11/11/11 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
sorry if some did not agree with what i said

But today is about remembering the, so ill shut it

[Edited on 11/11/11 by monck]

morcus

posted on 11/11/11 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
That Muslims against the Crusades thing was completely bogus and baseless. I'm with mrgrumpy on this one but I want to add that these kind of people not only are clinging to ancient history with this sort of thing, but in many cases it's false or biased history which equally justifies the opposite argument and the Crusade thing is one of the best examples of this because it completely ignores why they happened.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Ninehigh

posted on 12/11/11 at 03:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpy
quote:

I just get a little peed off with people telling others of a different race to **** off when in fact there's a good chance these days, being a multi cultural nation, that they were born British and have every righ to remain in this country.

Every time I hear this "f-off home" thing I remember an Indian lass at our school, someone told her to "go back to where she came from" and she looked them right in the eyes with a slightly confused look, then said "What, Kidderminster?"

mistergrumpy

posted on 12/11/11 at 03:50 AM Reply With Quote
monck. If that comment was a reference to me then please accept my apology. It wasn't a personal thing, just a point in general that I was making about common misconceptions and society as a whole.
mads

posted on 12/11/11 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh

Every time I hear this "f-off home" thing I remember an Indian lass at our school, someone told her to "go back to where she came from" and she looked them right in the eyes with a slightly confused look, then said "What, Kidderminster?"

Yep, this "f-off home" thing is getting old. I have had it said to me numerous times as I grew up and even now in adulthood... I was born in Britain and bred here! I also observed the two minute silence yesterday and will again tomorrow when the place I am working hold it. It's just a shame that a small minority tarnish the rest of us of the same colour / religion! But then I also find it increasingly frustrating that often there are general sweeping remarks made towards us all! (not saying anyone in this thread did before anyone starts but it does happen!)

As said, remember ALL those that have fallen regardless of their colour (wasn't there a documentary about the number of Sikhs that also fought in WWII as part of the British army?)

We gain knowledge faster than we do wisdom!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

tegwin

posted on 12/11/11 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
Yes...

http://www.defenceimagedatabase.mod.uk/fotoweb/wewerethere/index.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Dangle_kt

posted on 12/11/11 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
was daft to ban the anti poppy group (whatever name they go by).

They were not doing anything violent or terrorist like - therefore the law used doesn't apply.

To restrict the freedom of speech of a group that (whilst doing something very distastful) aren't causing harm or inciting other to, goes against the freedoms that were so hard fought for, and if anything, unfortunatly makes them look more reasonable to impressionable people, and the UK more extreme than it actually is.

[Edited on 12/11/11 by Dangle_kt]

bobinspain

posted on 12/11/11 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt

They were not doing anything violent or terrorist like - therefore the law used doesn't apply.

To restrict the freedom of speech of a group that (whilst doing something very distastful) aren't causing harm or inciting other to, goes against the freedoms that were so hard fought for, and if anything, unfortunatly makes them look more reasonable to impressionable people, and the UK more extreme than it actually is.

When "distasteful" becomes downright offensive to the majority of right-thinking people, then I beg to differ with you.
Just where do you draw the line? I'd say it should be drawn well before the act of demeaning and desecrating the memory of those who fought for our freedom. (note, "our freedom," not theirs).
Your wooly liberalism should be reserved for a better cause than trying to defend the indefensible.

[Edited on 12/11/11 by bobinspain]

monck

posted on 12/11/11 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
Mister grumpy, it was to everyone mate not yourself and i hope everyone reads this post as i am going to be abit more adult about it than my first post !

I think i went off on one with what i wrote first . So i apologize there ...

Your right to say the comment "**** of home is stupid" , I 100% agree the reason people say that is that a very small percentages let everyone else down and everyone stereotypes them as a result which is wrong but it happens in everything unfortunately

My opinion just is that no matter of your color/religion weather your British or not you should pay your respects,

OR

If that's not your wish then let other people pay theirs..

Theres no need for burning of the poppy , letting fireworks off during 2 mins silence ect :

Dangle_kt

posted on 12/11/11 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

When "distasteful" becomes downright offensive to the majority of right-thinking people, then I beg to differ with you.
Just where do you draw the line? I'd say it should be drawn well before the act of demeaning and desecrating the memory of those who fought for our freedom. (note, "our freedom," not theirs).
Your wooly liberalism should be reserved for a better cause than trying to defend the indefensible.

I think you need to re-read, I don't defend anyone.

I pointed out banning them was the wrong thing to do.

Stretching laws to ban any group doing something not actually covered by the law simply undermines the validity of any arguement that the government had with them, and to people who may be sympathetic to their cause - provides some validation that they were right.

I do not agree with the group, and yes "offensive", "distasteful" - I agree with your description. The only bit I dont agree with is the method used to deal with it (along with most of the methods outlined in this thread to "deal" with it).

bobinspain

posted on 12/11/11 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Google demographic problem.wmv

iev
quote:
quote:
quote:

I think you need to re-read, I don't defend anyone.

I pointed out banning them was the wrong thing to do.

Stretching laws to ban any group doing something not actually covered by the law simply undermines the validity of any arguement that the government had with them, and to people who may be sympathetic to their cause - provides some validation that they were right.

I do not agree with the group, and yes "offensive", "distasteful" - I agree with your description. The only bit I dont agree with is the method used to deal with it (along with most of the methods outlined in this thread to "deal" with it).

[Edited on 13/11/11 by bobinspain]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.