Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Budget 8 Piston Brembo Calipers - Ford & Mercedes
StuartBJ

posted on 13/11/11 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Budget 8 Piston Brembo Calipers - Ford & Mercedes

Evening Ladies & Gents.

Finally got all the parts together to allow me to install the front calipers on the car V12, little bit more fine adjustment needed and it will be finito. I thought I would show you how it was all done incase you are running a powerful & heavy car (ultima/GT40..types) and need/want extra stopping power..... but don`t want to pay the quite stupid prices these things seem to sell for.

I`m running such mahoosive calipers because they were locost and I wanted to make them work, yes I`m sure I could of used ultra lites and had lower unsprung weight and yes I`m probably over braked etc but that`s not really the point of this little 'rant'...so with that in mind....here we go

Once upon a time....when I naively thought I could use Mercedes running gear and hubs, I managed to get hold of a very reasonally priced set of 8 piston Mercedes calipers (made by Brembo), from a SL55.

As the project moved on and the Mercedes running gear was binned in favour of a hybrid Mercedes/Ford set up I found myself with a set of discs/pads and calipers that I couldn`t use with ford 4 stud hubs....(5x112). I realised that Ford used this same stud pattern on the Granada (BINGO), Okay yes I had to get some custom mushrooms made for the hub but that was a small price to pay....cheap too (£50)...to avoid paying out for a complete new brake system and in theory it would work....in theory.

The mercedes caliper bracket had to go.....it wasn`t even close and dedicated brackets had to be made. The material for the job is our old friend 2024 aluminium (nice and strong).

I decided the calipers needed a good clean and a lick of paint, my friend has a parts washer (which made my life much less messy) and I decided to restore the Brembo`ness, making sure you use high temp paint....... What makes me smile is that I`m trying to make the brakes look like high performance Brembo upgrade (along similar lines as to the fake stick on Brembo cover you can get from Flea bay)....but ironically these are Brembo`s....well it makes me smile.

I have made sure the bolts were HT, 12.9 for the caliper/bracket (M12 x 100) and 10.9 (M10 x 60) spaced with washers where required.

So before it all comes off for a clean and polish (wheels also here is the dry install....enjoy.

If you fancy having a go and need any brackets machining, drop me a message and I`ll put you in touch with a very skilled chap, good job and very reasonably priced.

SeaBass

posted on 14/11/11 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
Looks good - I would be slightly concerned about the loadings on your adapter bracket though. There seems to be a large amount of leverage generated around the original mounting holes.
StuartBJ

posted on 14/11/11 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SeaBass
Looks good - I would be slightly concerned about the loadings on your adapter bracket though. There seems to be a large amount of leverage generated around the original mounting holes.

Thanks. The original bracket hub mounting points did indeed have a wider span, sadly there is no easy way to change the mounting geometry. The only mitigation avaliable to me at the moment is to replace the cast material (bracket) and the fasteners with something stronger. If i were to ever do it again I might ensure that I increased the Radi of all the bracket edges to reduce any stress raisers.

MakeEverything

posted on 14/11/11 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
Looks good, and love your project.

I would beef up the bracket a little, and get load rated bolts to replace the allen bolts you have there. Also, rounding off the edges will reduce the potential for fracture. Notice none of the other suspension components have square edges.

Good luck. I would get some serious testing in before hitting the road or track though.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

MikeRJ

posted on 14/11/11 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
I would beef up the bracket a little, and get load rated bolts to replace the allen bolts you have there.

Agreed on the bracket, but what are" load rated bolts"? The bolts the OP is using are 10.9 and 12.9; if he needs higher tensile bolts than that then something is seriously wrong with the design.

maccavvy

posted on 14/11/11 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Look awesome...but when you say budget..what was the rough cost.

I got these fitted on my car..325 mm disc and 4 pot monoblock stops a treat for less than 500

steve m

posted on 14/11/11 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
looks like you have a wheel bolt missing,
or is it just the way the picc is?

StuartBJ

posted on 15/11/11 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m

They are all about..."somewhere"

Fred W B

posted on 15/11/11 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
So If I understand correctly you have m12 bolts through a 25 mm thickness. So leaving at best 6 mm of ally on each side of the bolt to resist the load imposed by the calipers trying to rotate when applied? I don't think they will last a minute.

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

MikeRJ

posted on 15/11/11 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fred W B
So If I understand correctly you have m12 bolts through a 25 mm thickness. So leaving at best 6 mm of ally on each side of the bolt to resist the load imposed by the calipers trying to rotate when applied? I don't think they will last a minute.

Cheers

Fred W B

I had totally missed the fact they were alloy brackets, that does sound a bit weak. Looking at the spacers required to at either end of the bracket, it should be possible to dispense with them and add extra material around the mounting area to compensate e.g.

Description
Description

I'd probably also get rid of those sharp inside corners on the "ears" that the caliper bolts onto and replace with a decent sized radius.

[Edited on 15/11/11 by MikeRJ]

phelpsa

posted on 15/11/11 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
I don't like the lack of rads in these sketches. You might get away with it with steel but definitely not with ali.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MakeEverything

posted on 16/11/11 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
I would beef up the bracket a little, and get load rated bolts to replace the allen bolts you have there.

Agreed on the bracket, but what are" load rated bolts"? The bolts the OP is using are 10.9 and 12.9; if he needs higher tensile bolts than that then something is seriously wrong with the design.

I didnt see the HT bolts comment between the pictures, as they look like standard allen bolts as said in my original post.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

daviep

posted on 16/11/11 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
I didnt see the HT bolts comment between the pictures, as they look like standard allen bolts as said in my original post.

Apart from stainless I don't think I've ever seen a cap screw with a tensile rating of less than 10.9, I'm sure you probably get them but a "standard" allen cap screw will be 10.9 or 12.9 in my experience.

Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

StuartBJ

posted on 18/11/11 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phelpsa
I don't like the lack of rads in these sketches. You might get away with it with steel but definitely not with ali.

I`m rounding off all the edges to prevent stress raisers .....then time for some serious testing.....any volunteers?

[Edited on 18/11/11 by StuartBJ]

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 18/11/11 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
you're most lilkely to get cracks forming on the internal corners of the bracket. You can't really round them out as the material is already gone. I would make them from steel and at least put as large a rad as possible in there if you're making from Ali

This is meant to be be constructive, please don't take offence. I'm doint this exact same process with Rx7 twin turbo calipers and mx5 uprights.

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

StuartBJ

posted on 18/11/11 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey
you're most lilkely to get cracks forming on the internal corners of the bracket. You can't really round them out as the material is already gone. I would make them from steel and at least put as large a rad as possible in there if you're making from Ali

This is meant to be be constructive, please don't take offence. I'm doint this exact same process with Rx7 twin turbo calipers and mx5 uprights.

None taken, it`s all in the name of development .... With respect to internal radi, I`m looking at my options. I may be able to build it up with weld, but I can`t remember how well 2024 takes to welding. I`ll probably end up machining them again to be on the safe side. At least the theory and geometry will be sound.

[Edited on 18/11/11 by StuartBJ]

jossey

posted on 18/11/11 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m

its an invisble wheel locking nut to confuse the thiefs....

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TAZZMAXX

posted on 18/11/11 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
If you worked on edge distances used in structural steel marking out, the centre of the holes are 1.5xhole dia to closest edge. Assuming 13mm and 11mm holes the relative sections would need to be increased from 30 to 39 and 25 to 33. Agree with large internal radii as well but I think the sections are the greater cause for concern.
maccavvy

posted on 18/12/11 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
the bolts are chrome...but the locker is black. so very hard to see.

heres a close up of my brackets..been on a year with no issues whatsoever

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.