Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tablet advice please
jabbahutt

posted on 14/11/11 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
Tablet advice please

Morning all

time to gain the advice from the LCB fountain of knowledge. I'm looking to buy one of these tablet things for my wife. It's going to be used mainly for browsing the net, playing puzzle games and hopefully a book reader type app thing.

I know nothing about tablets or operating systems, I don't use a mobile phone etc so I'm completely clueless. I'd like it to be easy to use with access to plenty of these app program things.

So with a budget of £200 what would be your advice on what to buy.

Many thanks in advance as always.

jossey

posted on 14/11/11 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
sure this will start the APPLE versus the world arguement.

I have had alot of tablets well ok 5 and ive sold all but the ipad.

The mrs didnt like any of them but now i have the ipad she uses facebook and the net for shopping and banking etc. means she doesnt switch the laptop on about 3 or 4 times an evening to check stuff.

plus i use it to play music through the stereo which is in a docking thing.

i liked the samsung galaxy one but it was expensive and died within a month and wouldnt charge.

The ipad unfortunatly is by far the best ive had.

if you have £200 get a second hand refurb ipad 1. least you will have a guarantee.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
afj

posted on 14/11/11 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
love our ipad my mate sells cheapo ones in toys r us and alot get returned as they are just not as good even considering the cheapo £150 vs £300-500 ipad

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

MakeEverything

posted on 14/11/11 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
As above. Ive had a load of the cheaper ones (up to £120) and they are nowhere near the Apple IPad. I ummed and aarred for ages, and eventually bought one. Its fantastic, and the internet browser is lightning quick.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

snakebelly

posted on 14/11/11 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
i use an Acer ICONIA and am very happy with it, does everthing i need and most apps are free
cloudy

posted on 14/11/11 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
ASUS transformer is the best ipad alternative...

www.warnercars.com

r1_pete

posted on 14/11/11 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
My Mrs. uses a Samsung Galaxy 10.1, about the same price as an ipad, but she is very happy with it, and the range of apps available.

She didn't want to be tied to apple and the bespoke OS, preferring the more 'open' code, her opinion and requirements of course.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MakeEverything

posted on 14/11/11 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
My Mrs. uses a Samsung Galaxy 10.1, about the same price as an ipad, but she is very happy with it, and the range of apps available.

She didn't want to be tied to apple and the bespoke OS, preferring the more 'open' code, her opinion and requirements of course.

Thats exactly the point. Its all about preference and requirement. Ive got laptops all over the house, and all of them have problems with viruses etc at some point or another. I wanted the iPad to eliminate that and have a hassle free device that could also be used in place of the laptop for certain work tasks.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

eddie99

posted on 14/11/11 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for IPAD, cant fault it.
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
HowardB

posted on 14/11/11 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
interested to see what the Amazon Fire looks like,.. will wait for the new year,...

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

stevebubs

posted on 14/11/11 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete

Thats exactly the point. Its all about preference and requirement. Ive got laptops all over the house, and all of them have problems with viruses etc at some point or another. I wanted the iPad to eliminate that and have a hassle free device that could also be used in place of the laptop for certain work tasks.

So long as you steer clear of the Windows tablets then this will ring true for pretty much all the options.

FWIW, Asus transformer is top of my list - good tablet but the keyboard dock makes it also fantastic as a netbook for email etc.

[Edited on 14/11/11 by stevebubs]

stevebubs

posted on 14/11/11 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
If the budget is £200, take a look at
- refurbished
- Archos 101

The latter you should be able to play with in your local PC world..

RichardK

posted on 14/11/11 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry another iPad vote here...you could get a low spec version 1 maybe for that coin.

cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

Jasper

posted on 14/11/11 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
And remember, it's not just about the specs, a non-techie person will find an iPad MUCH easier and nice to use than any of the alternatives.

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

Proby

posted on 14/11/11 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for the iPad. Ours resides in the living room, and the Mrs (as well as my 4 & 5 year olds) can use it with ease. I must admit that I've not really tried any other tablets, as I've had no need to!
Jon Ison

posted on 14/11/11 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
ipad every time
keith777

posted on 14/11/11 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for the ipad from me !
jabbahutt

posted on 15/11/11 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you all, went and had a play with an ipad2 at dinner time. Wow impressive bit of kit and even a fool like me was using it within a few minutes, couldn't get over the screen quality.

So decision made looks like an ipad2 for the missus, just need to srt out the cash. Thanks again all for your input it's much appreciated.

ChrisW

posted on 16/11/11 at 12:41 AM Reply With Quote
People who say iPads are not the best have never used one. See my previous rant about iPhones - exactly the same story.

Yes other tablets do more, cost less, blah blah blah. However, the Apple products do it properly.

Even if you have to save for twice as long, buy the iPad!

Chris

My gaff my rules

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.