Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: putting the locost back into locostbuilders?
Bluemoon

posted on 14/11/11 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
putting the locost back into locostbuilders?

I wonder if the forum is quieter on the build at the moment as people have less cash to build?

Maybe we need a few inspirational builders making there own chassis and making do with cheaper parts (single donner)?

Do we need a "book" midi locost, plenty of people have had a go but there is to my limited knowledge no plans for people to copy?

I wonder what peoples thoughts are?

Cheers

Dan

[Edited on 14/11/11 by Bluemoon]

jossey

posted on 14/11/11 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
It is a shame that there seems to be less locost bulders about but wont that be because of the cost of steel and the donor car?

I built my chassis from plans and a pile of 1" 2.0 box steel (yes i know its a little fat) but it was for a v8 engine.....

The steel box i bought was about £6 for 5 meters. now its £9 plus vat for 16 gauge steel box......

Its such a shame that steel is so expensive as this would reduce the donor cost and everything.

To answer your question no bloody idea.

All I know is that this site has so much value I just wish there was a way to build a easy build diary like a automated system to write it and upload to net.....

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tomgregory2000

posted on 14/11/11 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
i think a locost mid engine transverse using a fwd donor is the way forward, it will be a lot cheaper

Some one needs to do a book!!!

BobM

posted on 14/11/11 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by josseyI just wish there was a way to build a easy build diary like a automated system to write it and upload to net.....

Wordpress is very widely used and is very easy. Easy upload of pics etc. I use it on my own server but you can use theirs.

https://en.wordpress.com/signup/

Not very Locost but very BEC

TimC

posted on 14/11/11 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
Likewise, if your web-mail is gmail and your preferred browser is Chrome www.blogger.com integrates really nicely with the rest of your online existence.

JacksAvon

posted on 14/11/11 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
Look up formula 750, there is a chassis on there for a mid engined fiat powered car
TAZZMAXX

posted on 14/11/11 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
I'm currently building a Haynes chassis (and complete roadster) from scratch but I'm doing it at work in works time (my company, I can do what I want within reason!) so it's a bit easier and I have the benefit of getting steel at very good prices. I think the problem is the price of donor car spares, e-bay and other folks awareness of what something is now worth. I'm not sure it's right to say that you could virtually 'steal' something off someone, but years ago, bargains were there to be had. If someone didn't have a clue what an item was worth, you made a stupid bid and hoped you got it, which, 9 time out of ten, was the case. People are a lot more savvy than they were then.

To get cheap donor cars now, look at the MX5, they are going for dirt cheap money at the moment but as they become more scarce they will be the Sierra for the 2000's. The problem appears to be that the book (certainly Haynes) has not been revised so, for people with limited mechanical knowledge, re-calculating geometry and chassis fabrication details will not be the easiest thing to get to grips with.

The economy obviously doesn't help with people not having the spare cash to lavish on a project. I am keeping a close eye on what my build costs are but I doubt it will be cheap, just for a toy. Last week I was offered a Westfield with C20xe engine, 220bhp, for £4K so I have to ask myself why I'm scratch building a car. The main reason is because I want to and can afford to but I do consider myself lucky in this respect.

Forums do get quiet from time to time, let's face it most of us are on them in the daytime when we should be working! On that note I'm going to get back to my chassis. I've got to have this car complete for end of next spring so I get some track days in. It will also be interesting to tot up the final bill and scare myself with what I've spent.

Gareth

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 14/11/11 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
I'm doing a middy, not with a single doner however, quite the opposite but still with the emphasis on cheap!!

My blog is linked below, though I have slowed somewhat in my progress since the little fella was born and I now have a 150mile round trip to work every day.

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

MakeEverything

posted on 14/11/11 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tomgregory2000
i think a locost mid engine transverse using a fwd donor is the way forward, it will be a lot cheaper

I would love to write that book, but would have to give up work to throw first draft on the table in six months. I reckon with the right research and resources it can be done within a year. Thats before publishers, etc.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Bluemoon

posted on 14/11/11 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
quote:

I would love to write that book, but would have to give up work to throw first draft on the table in six months. I reckon with the right research and resources it can be done within a year. Thats before publishers, etc.

I think that's one problem, it's expensive to do. A more "open source" approach may be appropriate and cheap?

MakeEverything

posted on 14/11/11 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bluemoon
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
quote:

I think that's one problem, it's expensive to do. A more "open source" approach may be appropriate and cheap?

The issue is that whilst there needs to be a pool of information somewhere on different ways of doing things, the 'book' also needs to be informative of the things that MUST be done with the foresight of IVA and future-proofing etc.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Bluemoon

posted on 14/11/11 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
^^ Tend to agree but as I see it the locost is such a success as the chassis plans where common, the IVA stuff is real pain but any decent midi/rear engined chassis/suspension designed for road use should be IVA'able.. It's more body work and emissions etc, and we already have a wealth of information in the IVA manual, and on here...

Maybe steel is just to expensive?

Dan

bertie_bas205

posted on 14/11/11 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmmmm, i find if ye have a budget, double it, add vat n forget it......

I have tried to be realy tight with building/scorcing parts for a roadster....

I'm a few hundred pounds in and haven't even got a chassis yet...

I am trying to use parts i have kicking about, I have a heap of Peugeot, Land Rover and a few bike bits ....

Engine will be Peug, a 1.9 GTi, the gearbox is from an LDV, the master/slave cylinders and prop is Land Rover and my silencer is off a Gixer.....

I would say that I have saved a small fortune, money to be spent in other places....

Bertie.

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 14/11/11 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
I have saved money by sourcing the bits gradually over the last 10 years, though there is a fine line between saving money and a lack of productivity.

I saved a lot by breaking and selling 2 MX5's that I bought for 350 a pair and by being given the steel as a gift for doing a big favour for someone. There are cheap routes out there if you have the time to sit and wait for them to come your way.

I have poured a small fortune into buying tools though, you win some you lose some

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

bertie_bas205

posted on 14/11/11 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey
I have saved money by sourcing the bits gradually over the last 10 years, though there is a fine line between saving money and a lack of productivity.

I saved a lot by breaking and selling 2 MX5's that I bought for 350 a pair and by being given the steel as a gift for doing a big favour for someone. There are cheap routes out there if you have the time to sit and wait for them to come your way.

I have poured a small fortune into buying tools though, you win some you lose some

Ermmm, 10 years???

Was hopein to do it a bit quicker than that...

When i build my LR 90, it took me 8 months to get the bits and 3 weeks to build, thats inc full respray, poly bushes, new brake/fuel lines etc.....

Then again, theres plenty of time....

Bertie.

T66

posted on 14/11/11 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
I dont fit into the Locost bracket - as my chassis was built by NS Dev ....

This decision was not my first choice, as I did really fancy building a Haynes chassis as per the book, as I like welding. But my concern was building a cock eyed chassis, and a big spend on steel, linked to (at the time) of no driveway and a tiny garage not attached to the house.

A move to a pre built chassis / kit car was removing the risk of getting it wrong personally, while I really fancy bending tubes myself, and joining them all up - too much chance for me.

There is also a lack of confidence in my ability to construct a Locost car from scratch.

I agree there is possibly an interest in an updated midi chassis using a modern fwd engine setup.

steve m

posted on 14/11/11 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
10 years collecting stuff for a build????????????????

IMHO. your car will never turn a wheel in my livetime, and im only 51 y's young

JC

posted on 14/11/11 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
I had always wanted to write a book or publish plans - got to finish the car first though! Hopefully an upcoming job change will make both easier.......
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
T66

posted on 14/11/11 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
10 years collecting stuff for a build????????????????

IMHO. your car will never turn a wheel in my livetime, and im only 51 y's young

And your point is ? Is that not something for Liam to be concerned about - Thanks for your opinion

Good luck with the build Liam - Matters not when it starts nor when it ends.

ashg

posted on 14/11/11 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
there are a whole bunch of people building locosts. most of them reside on the haynes forum though. locostbuilders is mor like kitbuilders these days. although it makes little difference these days with people making/selling locost chassis for peanuts.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Ninehigh

posted on 14/11/11 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
I'm quite sure there is interest for it. I reckon the right donor could use a LOT more parts than the current book. I mean for starters you can keep the gearbox

big_wasa

posted on 14/11/11 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
Style = Warner r4 esq

Donor = Focus/mondeo

If its a group design I would be up for doing the back ground work on the engine managment. Diagrams pin outs, instructions ect.

The forum really has moved away from the on mass scratch build but still does have a wide range of skills.

iank

posted on 14/11/11 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
If you read the first book Ron didn't buy the steel for the alleged £250 budget. He claimed to have gone skip diving and scrounging. These days with the price of scrap that's proper stealing.

On the subject of 'open source' I don't think it would ever work for a 'locost' as everyone want to use difference donor components, could never decide on what size wheels/tyres to use, wheel base/wheel track, etc etc etc. It has been tried here before but iirc the author of the first post deleted the thread.

The only way IMO is for someone to do it and then write a book.

But for the sake of discussion, for a proper locost version you'd have to be mad to ignore the Rover 25 as the donor, hundreds out there all costing peanuts, K series is a lovely engine and very reliable IF looked after and not cooked.

Finally years ago the boss posted a message making it clear this site was targeted at anyone building a car (seem to remember a possible URL change as well) but that all went quiet.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Nickp

posted on 14/11/11 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone else think a MK2 MR2 would make a great donor for a middy Locost?
170BHP (or 240BHP turbo'd) and cheap as chips.
The newest ones are getting on for 15yrs old but there are literally 1000's of them out there.
Solid mechanicals but many starting to get ropey on the body these days, so ideal
They're 1200kg std and no slouch, so would be great in 600kg Locost form

posted on 14/11/11 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
I can never make out why people think that steel is expensive.

When you think of what goes into making it I consider it cheap.

If I think of the most expensive items in my scratch build then they would be:-

Wheels & tyres
Shocks
Seats

And still to come, IVA.

Cheers,
Paul G

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.