Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Self Empoyed Advice?
coozer

posted on 15/11/11 at 11:39 PM Reply With Quote
Self Empoyed Advice?

Want to go self employed as an HGV and PSV driver.

Main reason is using more than one agency and claiming back for the horrendous CPC.

Anyone help me with which way to go regarding self assessment or a accounted??

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

flibble

posted on 16/11/11 at 12:13 AM Reply With Quote
For me with little in the way of accounts to do (sub contractor), self assesment online is super easy and takes 20 mins! I used to pay an accountant £400 a year for that
I have (or did before it all went wrong..) an income every month, some petrol and tool expenses and that's about it.
How many income/outgoing expenses will you have do you think?

Ben_Copeland

posted on 16/11/11 at 05:35 AM Reply With Quote
Electronic self assessment is dead easy. You don't need an accountant for the relatively simple expenses you'll have.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

JonnyS

posted on 16/11/11 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Want to go self employed as an HGV and PSV driver.

Main reason is using more than one agency and claiming back for the horrendous CPC.

Anyone help me with which way to go regarding self assessment or a accounted??

Well it depends on many factors. A good accountant should (and usually can) save you (in tax) the cost of their services when you're dealing with smaller, simple tax affairs. I know I do Then essentially, you don't have to worry about preparing the return each year.

It's the same as if I tried to drive a HGV. I might be able to figure out how to get A to B, but it certainly wouldn't be done properly!

Send me a PM if you like and we can discuss a few things.

JonnyS

posted on 16/11/11 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flibble
For me with little in the way of accounts to do (sub contractor), self assesment online is super easy and takes 20 mins! I used to pay an accountant £400 a year for that
I have (or did before it all went wrong..) an income every month, some petrol and tool expenses and that's about it.
How many income/outgoing expenses will you have do you think?

So it sounds like you were paying too much for the service and not claiming for everything you could. It's the same as everything in life, there are good xxx and bad xxx. It's easy to pick up the simple expenses, but what about the ones you don't know about...

russbost

posted on 16/11/11 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
I would second the fact that any decent accountant should save you more than he costs you by some margin.

Best example I can give (bear in mind figures are 35 years out of date, but principle is the same) I went in to the accountants with what I thought was a £400 profit for 3 months trading which I thought I would have to pay tax on as all my alllowances were already used up in a PAYE job. When I came out of the accountants, I had a bill from him for £200 (which I actually think looking back was expensive for that time), but far more importantly a £3000 LOSS to carry forward to the next tax year!!

Much better to keep the money in your pocket than the tax mans - & I would add none of the above was at all dodgy, it was all legit & above board, just a Q of knowing what can legitimately be claimed

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
MakeEverything

posted on 16/11/11 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
Correct and full self assessment isn't easy. For example, you can claim for mileage and the usual expenses, but also for clothing, tools, food, heating (depending if you work from home) and a whole host of other things that a good accountant will know about. You can even claim relief on the cost of vehicles and a business property.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

coozer

posted on 16/11/11 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, I'm wondering if an accountant would be able to help with expenses etc.

I've been told whatever hourly rate I get, say £10 then I pay myself £6.10 and the rest is a diffident. Is that right? How do I do it myself if I dont use a broker?

I'm only working part time and reckon on about £18,000 a year. Just want to be able to use more than one agency without paying RB tax (P46) and want to be able to claim back the cost of doing the CPC.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

big-vee-twin

posted on 16/11/11 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
Think you mean dividend.

Pay yourself minimum wage up to your allowance and the rest in dividends.

This way you only pay 10% tax on your dividends and nothing on your minimum salary, also you will only need to pay Class 2 NI which is a few pounds a week.

Dividends have to be paid out on profitts.

Think sole traders setting themselves up this way are being watched by the treasury because its a bit of a cheat as you are not really a Director of a company but that is also debatable.

I do the above but I am a director of a company not a sole trader.

I would reccomed an accountant every time as thay can work out the most tax efficient way to pay your self within the rules.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

chris mason

posted on 16/11/11 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big-vee-twin
Think you mean dividend.

Pay yourself minimum wage up to your allowance and the rest in dividends.

This way you only pay 10% tax on your dividends and nothing on your minimum salary, also you will only need to pay Class 2 NI which is a few pounds a week.

Dividends have to be paid out on profitts.

Think sole traders setting themselves up this way are being watched by the treasury because its a bit of a cheat as you are not really a Director of a company but that is also debatable.

I do the above but I am a director of a company not a sole trader.

I would reccomed an accountant every time as thay can work out the most tax efficient way to pay your self within the rules.

Not sure where you've got those figures from?

Small business Corporation tax is circa 22% (could be 21%) it's due too drop by 1% next year, this is paid on all dividends.

If your paying yourself £6.10 an hour, this will be subject to paye tax and ni just like it would if you worked for another company.

To be in the position to be paying Dividends you'll need to be trading as a Plc, LLP or be Ltd all these have legal requirements with regard to accounting. Each year you'll have to file your accounts with companies house.

Then the Dividends your paying yourself, will need to be accounted for on your personal self assesment.

Speak to a good accountant before you make any desicions, incorporating your company isn't for everyone.

ali f27

posted on 16/11/11 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
Best advice if your going self employed is to emigrate to a country were its not treat like a crime
mrwibble

posted on 16/11/11 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
my old man has done very well out of being self employed. it does leave you very flexible and certain expenses end up as business ones when your enjoying them as personal ones. admittedly he has a very good and creative accountant his dad put him in on to when he first started. There is also something called entrepreneurial relief for small business which might be worth looking into not sure if that is sole trader or Ltd though.

Ed.

JoelP

posted on 16/11/11 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
chris has the figures about right. I think big v twin is refering to paying youself a salary of £7.5k which doesnt attract income tax.

The benefit is broadly that you pay 20 odd % corp tax rather than the 28% (income tax and NI) that people on a normal wage would pay. If you're into 40% tax band then it would seem to be a no brainer to me.

TBH if you have doubts about doing SA returns, you have no chance of managing LTD returns, at least without some guidance.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.