Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sourcing Generators
Miks15

posted on 17/11/11 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
Sourcing Generators

Hey Guys,
I need a bit of help sourcing a part for a uni project, and you guys never let me down.

I need a generator/alternator that generates 240v. All my searches just come up with complete petrol driven units. I need the Electrical bit and that's all so we can drive it from something else. Any one have any experience with this? All help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

carlknight1982

posted on 17/11/11 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
How big is the question, equal to a small Honda petrol engine u can get the alternator from machine Mart.
Bigger ones tend to use the flywheel of an engine as the front bearing.
Try mcaltee there close to you as are cummins power generation and Stanford plant.

Logic will get you from a A to B
Imagination will take you everywhere.

Miks15

posted on 17/11/11 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
We dont actually need to buy one as such, just trying to source details for part of our project. It doesn't need to be a massive one, as it'll be man powered.
owelly

posted on 17/11/11 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
For a man-powered genny, those at machine mart would do or a normal 12v alternator and an inverter.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
carlknight1982

posted on 17/11/11 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
bear in mind that the machine mart jobs will need to have a winding speed approaching 3000rpm

i actually work for generator power ltd do a google search and let me know if i can help

Logic will get you from a A to B
Imagination will take you everywhere.

SteveWalker

posted on 17/11/11 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
For a man-powered genny, those at machine mart would do or a normal 12v alternator and an inverter.

I presume that 230V ac single-phase is required, if not, I'm pretty sure that car alternators are actually 3-phase ac generators with rectifying and voltage regulating added on. So an alternator with the diodes stripped out will give 3-phase ac, which can be put through a 3-phase transformer or three single-phase ones to give the required voltage with no need for an inverter.

owelly

posted on 17/11/11 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
Good point. And by altering the field voltage, the output could be altered.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rallyingden

posted on 17/11/11 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker
quote:
Originally posted by owelly

I presume that 230V ac single-phase is required, if not, I'm pretty sure that car alternators are actually 3-phase ac generators with rectifying and voltage regulating added on. So an alternator with the diodes stripped out will give 3-phase ac, which can be put through a 3-phase transformer or three single-phase ones to give the required voltage with no need for an inverter.

YEP ...........
This is how we powerd the electrics on the service barge in my Rallying days, had a second alternator attached to engine.
We lit up a few Welsh forrests when marshalling I can tell you

RD

MikeRJ

posted on 17/11/11 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
If you want to generate 240v 50Hz from a human powered machine, a 240v alternator is very probably not the best way to go unless the human in question can rotate the generator at a precisely constant speed.

Much better would be a DC generator (or rectified AC) charging a battery which powers an inverter. This can absorb considerable load and speed changes whilst still providing a well regulated 240v 50Hz output.

Miks15

posted on 23/11/11 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
cheers for all the advise guys, will bare it all in mind

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.