Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: House Wiring - Part P vs Real World
TimEllershaw

posted on 18/11/11 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
House Wiring - Part P vs Real World

I'm after some Real World opinions :

I've just moved into an old house and want to update some of the wiring. New sockets, improved ring main wiring, general tidy up type stuff.

Now, I've read a load of Building Reg documents and forms, and (think) I understand the process of inspections, local council building control, "competent person" and part P, so have a good handle on the "official" way to do this.

But...

How many DIYers actually follow this ?

In the "Real World" what do people do ?

Is it in the same category as all those bits that magically "fall off" a car after IVA ??

Do I just do it and keep quiet,
or fill in the paperwork and then do it,
or give up and pay someone "competent" to do it ?

Thanks,

Tim.

http://www.teenagecancertrust.org/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
daviep

posted on 18/11/11 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
Due to the fact that nobody on here knows whether you have the required skills to to complete the work safely then it's not really a question that anybody apart from you should be answering. In my opinion it comes down to your competence and consciense.

I know my own abiliites and would happily do basic work myself.

Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

TimEllershaw

posted on 18/11/11 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daviep
Due to the fact that nobody on here knows whether you have the required skills to to complete the work safely then it's not really a question that anybody apart from you should be answering. In my opinion it comes down to your competence and consciense.

I know my own abiliites and would happily do basic work myself.

Davie

Agreed. ( I think I can do it safely, and would be happy with my family living in the house with the finished work. )

but I was looking more from the bureaucracy and paperwork side of things. Eg. (assuming you are not a qualified sparky) If you were going to replace the upstairs ringmain in your house, would you tell Building control ?

Tim

ETA : The Part P stuff doesn't apply (as far as I know) in Scottland, so may not apply to you, but the general question of doing the paperwork still applies.

[Edited on 18/11/2011 by TimEllershaw]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
whitestu

posted on 18/11/11 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Assuming you are happy you know what you are doing you can still do a lot of stuff without needing part P, or going through building control particularly things like replacement of damaged cables, sockets etc.

The issues arising if selling the house where it is obvious work has been done and there is no ceritfication, and the possible risk of invalidating insurance should your work result in the house burning down.

I assume the current cable is red / black? The new colours post part P are blue & brown so it will be obvious if changes have been made.

If you do work yourself ideally you should carry out the appropriate tests and record the results.

Stu

mrwibble

posted on 18/11/11 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
As long as it was done competently, I wouldn't open that can of worms.
Ninehigh

posted on 18/11/11 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
I've replaced light switches before now, they're only slightly more complicated that wiring a plug and tbh I think if you can't do that right then you shouldn't be allowed out of sight of your carer.. I mean there were instruction on the package on what wire goes where, and it even said they might be red and black!

mrwibble

posted on 18/11/11 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
I've replaced light switches before now, they're only slightly more complicated that wiring a plug and tbh I think if you can't do that right then you shouldn't be allowed out of sight of your carer.. I mean there were instruction on the package on what wire goes where, and it even said they might be red and black!

i had good fun with a 3 gang switch the other day, turns out it was the light fitting that was faulty, but there was a lot of wires to get mixed up, I'll definately take a photo of anything I'm going to mess with in future.

jossey

posted on 18/11/11 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
DIY'er do not need to comply with PART P for updating a current system.

BUT you do need to confident of your work as it may invalidate your insurance if you cause a fire or blow ye self up.....

Sockets and moving wiring etc isnt difficult but i would suggest getting a sparky in to check your work as you dont need part P then you will just get a safety cert simular to landlords CERT.....

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

daviep

posted on 18/11/11 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh

If you base electrical competency on wiring a plug then most average joes would fail in my experience.

What the instructions don't normally tell you is how to trim the insulation to the correct length or or make sure that knock out in a plastic box is smooth or the multitude of other basic details which make the difference between a tidy professional job and a shambles.

Davie

cliftyhanger

posted on 18/11/11 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
And a moan here about socket, as I replaced a couple of cracked ones today....why do different manufacturers insist on having different positions for the terminals, and the sparky's don't leave enough spare cable to rearrange the cables. Bah. Spent about 30mins going through other sockets until I found a matching one that could be replaced with the new ones.

Back to the original post. I rewired and partially rewired more than one house when you were allowed to (pre 2000 I think) and the current rules allow you to swap sockets/switches etc (or at least they did)
However, IF you believe you are competent, I wouldn't hesitate to replace a ring main. And I wouldn't worry about being "caught out" as the worst that is likely to happen is somebody will make you have it tested. A periodic inspect down my way (Brighton) costs about £125 and covers everything that will make you worry. After my initial tests on our rentals most of the "very dangerous" issues involved needing warning stickers on the consumer units and red sleeving on cables at the light switches. And some trunking covering was missing......all horrendous stuff really.

omega 24 v6

posted on 18/11/11 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

which make the difference between a tidy professional job and a shambles

How do you explain the professional jobs that are a shambles many with just the faults you have listed DavieP

[Edited on 18/11/11 by omega 24 v6]

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

TimEllershaw

posted on 18/11/11 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jossey

DIY'er do not need to comply with PART P for updating a current system.

As I understand it there is a border line between replacing like for like (not notifiable) and replacing and re-routing (notifiable)

The upstairs ring is not exactly a ring - more a piece of abstract art that has evolved over time, so I was planning on starting a fresh and putting in some nice new cable in a nice simple route.

- so think I fall just on the notifiable side of the line.

tegwin

posted on 18/11/11 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
The joys of an old house that has been "DIYed" over the years means the wiring could be in any state....

I advise you not to do any work on the wiring.... as it was all "perfect when you moved in".. COUGH and when you come to move on, you never touched the wiring..... cant be proved either way... and if it all worked and is out of sight.. who is to know anyway!

You only really have issues if you do something big like put an extension up with new kitchen and wire in a new consumer unit... this needs to be aproved and signed off.... which is a bitch if your electrician bleeps off without doing the paperwork!

Just get on with it..... there is far to much of this pussyfooting about these days.... and besides, homebase/B&Q etc still sell cable, sockets, switches etc....... so someone must be doing some wiring..... :p

[Edited on 18/11/11 by tegwin]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

cliftyhanger

posted on 18/11/11 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
hmm, if you find the start and end points, I reckon replacing the in between parts may be OK.

And don't forget the warning sticker on the consumer unit, that says both red/blacl and brown/blue cabling is used in the house. Don't want anybody getting confused.

daviep

posted on 18/11/11 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega 24 v6
quote:

which make the difference between a tidy professional job and a shambles

How do you explain the professional jobs that are a shambles many with just the faults you have listed DavieP

[Edited on 18/11/11 by omega 24 v6]

Being a qualified sparkie doesn't automatically make you a "good" sparkie. I also know of quite a few crap mechanics and plumbers who are also "tradesmen".

How does Joe Bloggs know what a proper install should look like if all he ever sees it the mess that the last "tradesman" left.

Conversley I know a few DIY'ers that could put most tradesmen to shame at whatever they turn their hand to.

Davie

matt_gsxr

posted on 18/11/11 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
What is part P?

Having seen the wiring in question, I don't think leaving it is actually an option.

Matt

ninja02

posted on 18/11/11 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
I'm a time served electrician, qualifications galore in electrical work inc degree and because of Part P I theoretically cannot do my own electrical work.

Phill

macc man

posted on 18/11/11 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Best way to save a bit and stay on the legal side is to run in all the new cables and get an electrician to test and terminate for you. This is what I usually do when refitting bathrooms.

v8kid

posted on 18/11/11 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ninja02
I'm a time served electrician, qualifications galore in electrical work inc degree and because of Part P I theoretically cannot do my own electrical work.

Phill

Funny same here - I used to run a training school for a large electrical utility company providing the training to part P and guess what - I can't sign off work either.

Crazy system only looks at ticking boxes and takes no account of past experience or knowledge.

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

Stott

posted on 18/11/11 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by v8kid
quote:
Originally posted by ninja02

Phill

Funny same here - I used to run a training school for a large electrical utility company providing the training to part P and guess what - I can't sign off work either.

Crazy system only looks at ticking boxes and takes no account of past experience or knowledge.

Cheers!

+2 here, Authorised Person on 11kv, but run a swa to the garage.... better call the tradesmen

Also Whitestu earlier pointed out the change in colours to the european harmonised ones, well, as luck would have it they introduced the colour harmonisation BEFORE part p, so WHO KNOWS when work was done..........................

[Edited on 18/11/11 by Stott]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.