Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Car Towed !
RoadkillUK

posted on 21/11/11 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
Car Towed !

I've been to Leeds College this evening and it would seem that I parked in a private area of the car park. The signs show a clamping icon and mentions in larger text 'Clamping £124', further down in a much smaller text it mentions the towing and the extortionate charges for that. The car was clamped and towed away within 1 hour, it was not blocking any exits, road or otherwise. I feel the car was towed rather than clamped for the singular purpose of revenue, can I argue that?

The following photo was taken full stretch as the sign is over 10 feet up on the wall.

Long to short is ... I have to pay over £330 to get it back.

I would love to get out of paying for this if possible

Anyway, I have a couple of thoughts here.

1) I could pay by CC and would it be possible to claim that back?
2) The signs themselves are over 10ft on the wall and not well lit, I suppose I could try that :/

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Wheels244

posted on 21/11/11 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
Pay by Cheque and cancel it straight afterward ?
RoadkillUK

posted on 21/11/11 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
I've read that somewhere and lot of places don't accept cheques for that reason :/

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mookaloid

posted on 21/11/11 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
consult a solicitor or the Citizens advice ASAP

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

dave

posted on 21/11/11 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
I would appeal getting towed but i dont think you will get away with the parking fine.

Wheels244

posted on 21/11/11 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
B*gger !

What about Trading Standards - aren't these parasites meant to be working to a code of conduct now ?

Wheels244

posted on 21/11/11 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/media-centre/press-releases/ban-on-wheel-clamping
l0rd

posted on 21/11/11 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
how do you know it was towed away and not stolen?

never happened to me so don't know.

Wheels244

posted on 21/11/11 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
Found it

Freedom Bill - Section 3

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/publications/about-us/legislation/freedom-bill/fact-sheet-part3?view=Binary

Chapter 2: Vehicles Left on Land
The Coalition’s Programme for Government (section 30) committed the Government to “tackle rogue private sector wheel clampers”. The objective is to prevent wheel clamping and towing without lawful authority, and stop the use of a measure which is widely seen as disproportionate and threatening. Examples of abuses associated with vehicle immobilisation on private land include:
o excessive release fees (with very little means of appeal or redress);
o inadequate signage; and
o unreasonable behaviour, for example demanding immediate cash payment and calling of a tow truck.
Banning clamping and towing without lawful authority
Clause 54 makes it an offence to immobilise, move or restrict the movement of a vehicle without lawful authority. In effect this will ban most clamping and towing by anyone other than the police, local authorities, bailiffs and other Government agencies.
To be guilty of the offence, the person immobilising or moving the vehicle must intend to prevent or inhibit the removal of the vehicle by its driver or owner.
The penalty for the new offence will be a fine (this will be either an unlimited fine on conviction on indictment; or a fine of up to £5,000 on summary conviction).
What is not affected?
The new provisions include some exemptions. They allow for the use of fixed barriers to enforce parking charges in car parks to continue.
The ban on clamping will not prevent the owner or driver of a vehicle clamping it themselves, for example to prevent theft.
Clamping and towing with lawful authority (for example, clamping by local authorities on highways, which is regulated by the Department for Transport) are not affected by the Bill and will continue to be permitted.

[Edited on 21/11/11 by Wheels244]

RoadkillUK

posted on 21/11/11 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
l0rd - I phoned the police and it was registered as towed.

Wheels244 - Thanks, but what does all that mean?

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk

JoelP

posted on 21/11/11 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RoadkillUK
l0rd - I phoned the police and it was registered as towed.

Wheels244 - Thanks, but what does all that mean?

it seems to imply that it is illegal to clamp on or tow off private land.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Wheels244

posted on 21/11/11 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
"Clause 54 makes it an offence to immobilise, move or restrict the movement of a vehicle without lawful authority. In effect this will ban most clamping and towing by anyone other than the police, local authorities, bailiffs and other Government agencies."

If your vehicle was towed away by anyone other than on the list above it would suggest that they are guilty of an offence and as such the fee would be void.

Disclaimer time - I'm not a legal eagle so please check with one or more of the departments that have been suggested.

rachaeljf

posted on 21/11/11 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
IMHO if that is the only sign and it's 10' up the wall making it unreadable, you have them under bullet point 2 of Wheel's post. It appears to be a police matter too.

Cheers R

RoadkillUK

posted on 21/11/11 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
THIS website simply states that it's illegal to clamp but doesn't give any reasons.

As for Clause54, if this was the case, wouldn't everyone get their money back?

This is taken from the CAB online leaflet

Towing away
It may be necessary to tow away a vehicle parked on private land if it is:
dangerously parked; or
causing an obstruction; or
blocking an emergency access.

which it wasn't, it was in a corner.

[Edited on 21/11/11 by RoadkillUK]

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk

splitrivet

posted on 22/11/11 at 12:20 AM Reply With Quote
Bit late now I know but always carry bolt croppers.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

slingshot2000

posted on 22/11/11 at 02:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by splitrivet
Cheers,
Bob

What good would bolt croppers have done for the OP if they were in the boot of his car when he found that it had been towed. . . . . . . . . . . .

Or maybe he should just carry them on his person and go the risk or being done for; 'going equipped' ?

Light-heartedly, regards
Jon

James

posted on 22/11/11 at 02:14 AM Reply With Quote
Oh no.

Christ! I wouldn't even know where to start in that situation.

As a direct action kinda guy I'd be doing my best to find where the car is stored and I'd liberate it back! But God knows how you find it!

Good luck!

James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

graememk

posted on 22/11/11 at 06:01 AM Reply With Quote
this would anger me very much, activate the self destruct button on your car then sue them for losing it.
jossey

posted on 22/11/11 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
get legal advise.

dont forget they now need a license to clamp cars.

good luck.

you cant claim on your credit card so not worth trying.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

designer

posted on 22/11/11 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
Good old Leeds, where else?
cliftyhanger

posted on 22/11/11 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
What nobody seems to have mentioned is that they have your car. And unless you are willing to wait for a court case or whatever, you are unlikely to get it back without paying.
Consult the CAB and other properly informed sites. I seem to remember the MSE site saying when you pay you should write a phrase above your signature. Oh, and they generally prefer cash I believe.
You will the have an uphill battle to reclaim the money.

Not good at all............

(I REALLY hate those people, generally somewhat beneath the scum of he earth)

EDIT added this link

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/t_wheel-clamping_on_private_land.pdf

[Edited on 22/11/11 by cliftyhanger]

splitrivet

posted on 22/11/11 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slingshot2000
quote:
Originally posted by splitrivet
Cheers,
Bob

What good would bolt croppers have done for the OP if they were in the boot of his car when he found that it had been towed. . . . . . . . . . . .

Or maybe he should just carry them on his person and go the risk or being done for; 'going equipped' ?

Light-heartedly, regards
Jon

Obviousely bolt croppers are of no use it this situation !!!

Pay by credit card if you can, afterwards you can get your money back as any dealings are covered by the consumer credit act so if thier actions are a bit dodgy and thier taking plastic to pay for them youve every right for a refund.

Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

Peteff

posted on 22/11/11 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
The sign high up on the wall should get you a good case for not paying if you contact the police and report your car removed illegally

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

hughpinder

posted on 22/11/11 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
Assuming you get your car back, photograph it from every angle before touching it, and claim for any damage you can spot - I'm sure they have a duty of care or somesuch phrase. They may well have damaged it when winching it away.
Best of luck,

Hugh

FASTdan

posted on 22/11/11 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
'Clause 54 makes it an offence to immobilise, move or restrict the movement of a vehicle without lawful authority'.

Isnt this invalidated if you say that the police (lawful authority) have it registered as being towed? ie it was cleared with them before being removed? Not trying to defend these scum, but im pretty sure thats how it will be.

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.