Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: O/T - Heating Oil
Daddylonglegs

posted on 26/11/11 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
O/T - Heating Oil

Morning all. I thought I'd ask the Oracle that is the LCB forum for some advice.

We are at present renting a house in a rural area running on domestic oil for heating etc. We filled the tank a couple of months ago anticipating another big freeze, but we now have a dilema. We are hopefully moving to another property which is also oil-fired, the problem is, the place we are moving to has an almost empty tank (they knew they were moving so ran it down), our move came a little out-of-the-blue so we are now stuck with an almost full tank here and need to see if there is anyway we can shift the oil to the new property. At today's prices, a full tank is worth a hell of a lot of cash!

Anyone on here had a similar experience, or have any good ideas? I doubt that selling the fuel to the landlord is an option (it's a long story), so any help/advice gratefully received.

Thanks.

JB

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

franky

posted on 26/11/11 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
I've just done the same when moving house, I filled lots and lots of 25 and 50 ltr drums to do it. You can pay a company to do it too if you want. Quite a common practice
Wheels244

posted on 26/11/11 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
I fitted a new tank as the old one was looking a big scabby when we bought the house.
I decanted the oil into 45 gallon drums using a little 12v pump which came off a caravan, dropped into the tank
With the hose attached and worked amazingly well. Took the old tank out, fitted the new one and reversed
The process.
It's easy enough to get the drums.

graememk

posted on 26/11/11 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
go down to local Taliban hand car wash and get some barrels from them.
Daddylonglegs

posted on 26/11/11 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by graememk
go down to local Taliban hand car wash and get some barrels from them.

ROFL

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

big_wasa

posted on 26/11/11 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
Yes you can get it pumped across by the firm you use but its not cheap. But cheaper than giving it away.

How much is a full tank ? 1100 L takes a lot less moving than 2700 L.

Do you know any farmers ? They will have pumping gear and bowsers for moving fuel.

[Edited on 26/11/11 by big_wasa]

v8kid

posted on 26/11/11 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
Had a similar problem when I had to moove my tank. I pumped it into a couple of IBC available almost everywhere for a few quid. Used a tractor to lift the IBC,s

Btw I add my used engine oil to the heating oil as a method of disposal also getting the heat out of it. No probs so far - any comments?

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rodgling

posted on 26/11/11 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
If it's worth X and it costs Y to move it, sell it to the buyers for X-Y (and maybe a little more discount for the hassle).
MakeEverything

posted on 26/11/11 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by v8kid

Btw I add my used engine oil to the heating oil as a method of disposal also getting the heat out of it. No probs so far - any comments?

Being a heavier oil it will make a mess of your burner and filters unless it's suitably mixed with the heating oil. From my limited exposure to heating oils commercially and from memory, the oils are rated for time (15 seconds and 20 seconds etc) which is the viscosity to calculate the burn time and flow rate, so adding too much will thicken it. I'm not too clued up on the subject of oils, but someone here might be able to illuminate us further. Engine oil will make a mess of the fuel filters though.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

fesycresy

posted on 26/11/11 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, it comes in 28 and 35 second.

A word of warning, I have used 'professional' companies to empty oil tanks that I have to relocate.

They can cause more problems than the worth, you end up with a lot more sh1t in the tank and can be plagued by blocked filters and nozzles for literally years to come.

I would do it myself as said above.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

ReMan

posted on 26/11/11 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rodgling
If it's worth X and it costs Y to move it, sell it to the buyers for X-Y (and maybe a little more discount for the hassle).

That was my thinking and ave a lot of hasell

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Neville Jones

posted on 26/11/11 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
When ships and large motor yachts are sold, the bunker is sold as a separate item.

The new tenants are going to need heat, so they would be better off buying what is already there, and you take that cash and fill up where you move to.

Maybe that's too simple a solution?

Cheers,
Nev.

bobinspain

posted on 26/11/11 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fesycresy
Yes, it comes in 28 and 35 second.

A word of warning, I have used 'professional' companies to empty oil tanks that I have to relocate.

They can cause more problems than the worth, you end up with a lot more sh1t in the tank and can be plagued by blocked filters and nozzles for literally years to come.

I would do it myself as said above.

Given the above and the fact that from your original comment, you intimate that the landlord is a bit sh77y, why not threaten to take the oil away unless the landlord pays you for it. That way, if he doesn't cough up, you'll leave a load of crap at the bottom of his tank an possible airlocks in the heating system which he'll have to foot the bill for unless he's willing to come to a muttual accommodation with you.

mad4x4

posted on 26/11/11 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Borrow a Trailer and get one of These, should be able to move 1000 liters in 1 hit. need a Pump

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A5800 &rt=nc&_nkw=ibc&_dmpt=UK_BOI_FarmingEquipment_RL&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=7&_sc=1

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

Peteff

posted on 26/11/11 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
If you have enough to fill an IBC you will have to borrow a hefty trailer to carry it.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.