Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Locostbuilders Teamspeak server
ChrisW

posted on 30/11/11 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
Locostbuilders Teamspeak server

Just been talking about this with a colleague. Seems reasonably easy to install the server and make it talk to the existing database, meaning you could log on with your site username and password and have a 'voice' chatroom for motoring enthusiasts.

Anyone care to comment as to whether they think this would be any good? Or would people be embarassed to 'talk'?

Cheers, Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tegwin

posted on 30/11/11 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Voice chat are always a bit like instant messaging type things. Fine if there are a couple of people in there, but get a group and its almost impossible to keep up with the various conversations going on....

Given the type of questions and discussions on here, it is almost better to keep things forum based. Its easier to keep track of the threads of conversation and is more accessible by the masses... It also leaves a record of conversation for future refference.

If the search function within Loco was better, the above would be even more true :-)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 30/11/11 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
i don't think too many on here would be too embarrased to speak

I think it would be interesting to see which way it went? I'd vote yes for a trial of some sort

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 30/11/11 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not sure how it would be used.

The locostbuilders archive is a wonderfully rich thing. Would a voice chartroom detract from this?

Mind you, with some of the 'heated discussions' we see from time to time - we could sell the pay-per-listen rights....

MakeEverything

posted on 30/11/11 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
I've used team speak before, and it's very noisy with lots of feedback. That was a few years ago mind, in my battlefield days!!

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

theconrodkid

posted on 30/11/11 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
sounds like a good idea,maybe with a few "rooms"? and can web cams be used so we could see the ugly mug we are talking at?

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

PSpirine

posted on 30/11/11 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
Would be interesting to try it, but I don't think it'll add much value.

This is as much a resource as it is a discussion board. Any "voice" chat will be lost, whereas a lot of the threads on this forum help newbies (even those that just google a lot of the issues, before knowing about or registering on this forum).

blakep82

posted on 30/11/11 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
can't see what the benefit would be persoanlly. no one really uses the chat feature as it is. ok, it crashes a fair bit, but as said its hard enough to keep track of who said what to who, voice chat i think would be worse. i wouldn't be using it anyway

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

DixieTheKid

posted on 30/11/11 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
I use TS all the time with my gaming buddies. Let me know the op and I'll pay a visit, I would advise to add quite a few rooms plus a lounge area.

COS IT'S Worth IT

Chippy

posted on 30/11/11 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmmm! definately not for me, and could be more problem than it's worth, we get enough slanging matches typed. IMHO Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

RichardK

posted on 1/12/11 at 02:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PSpirine
Would be interesting to try it, but I don't think it'll add much value.

This is as much a resource as it is a discussion board. Any "voice" chat will be lost, whereas a lot of the threads on this forum help newbies (even those that just google a lot of the issues, before knowing about or registering on this forum).

+1

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.