Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Day off.
PAULD

posted on 2/12/11 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
Day off.

Took the day off today to change my daughters Focus cambelt (04 reg). Removed crankshaft pulley cover and the pulley was nothing like the others I,d done, no holes to lock it or pull it off by, just an extra unused pulley. Went and bought a later Haynes book, just the same as my old one, no mention of this pulley type. Question is how do I lock the pulley to undo it and how do I hold it to torque it back up? Answers on a postcard please............
mrwibble

posted on 2/12/11 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
mk1 or mk2, zetec se or e or duratec

[Edited on 2/12/11 by mrwibble]

MikeRJ

posted on 2/12/11 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
Which engine is it?

Do you have to undo a big bolt in the middle, or are there multiple smaller fasteners that bolt the auxiliary pulley to the timing belt pulley?

A big impact gun is the easy answer, you often don't need to lock the crank at all with one of these. Otherwise removing the starter and using a pry bar in the ring gear teeth might be possible.

PAULD

posted on 2/12/11 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
day off

Thanks for the replies. It's a facelift mk1 with the zetec se (I think). Centre bolt fixing.
mistergrumpy

posted on 2/12/11 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
I know nothing other than having read various belt change routines. I'm not brave enough to do them having made a pigs ear of one once but there wouldn't happen to be a way of holding the crank behind the pulley would there? Like flats filed in or summat?
PAULD

posted on 2/12/11 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
No holes, no flats, nothing.
Marcus

posted on 2/12/11 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
If its anything like Alfas, you will probably need a set of camshaft locking blocks to stop everything moving.
You take off a cam bearing retainer and fit to the same studs. it has the shape of the cam machined into itand stops it moving...

Spotted this on the bay of E:

DRAPER 61262 ZETEC SE CAM SHAFT SETTING & LOCKING KIT | eBay

[Edited on 2/12/11 by Marcus]

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jacko

posted on 2/12/11 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Someone i know tried to do a cam belt for a lady friend and bent all the valves
He said its the last time he is going to help others
It cost him a fortune to put right
ps it was a Focus too
Jacko

[Edited on 2/12/11 by jacko]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 2/12/11 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
What size engine ? What year is the car? Some of the later ones don't have a tensioner on the auxiliary belt just a stretch belt which isn't supposed to be refitted without special tools. To time the engine when removing the timing belt you will probably need a couple of special tools , one which fits in the end of the cams away from the belt end which is a straight bar and another that screws into the block after removing a plug from just above the O/S drive shaft to locate the crank . The cam sprockets need to be slackened off , DO NOT use the cam timing tool to hold the cams when doing this !!! Use a sprocket holding tool
theconrodkid

posted on 2/12/11 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
you need an impact gun to get the pulley off,the crank gear is held on my the pulley bolt being tight,turning the engine with the bolt loose will bend your valves.

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.