Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: auto darken welding masks
blakep82

posted on 7/12/11 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
auto darken welding masks

I got the ESAB origo one, very much impressed by it! haven't tried any others so can't say if its better/worse than other cheaper or more expensive ones, but i do wish i'd bought one years ago!

for some reason i never trusted them before, just in case they didn't darken, but since they always block UV whether it darkens or not, you can't go too far wrong! it feels weird looking at the piece you're about to weld, then striking an arc up

anyone thinking about getting one, DO IT

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Mark Allanson

posted on 7/12/11 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
They are all worse than useless if you are welding in pairs or in a work environment.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

blakep82

posted on 7/12/11 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
well, thats true, but seeing as this is a diy car building forum, and most of us are unlikely to be welding in work environments for now, then i still say they're great for seeing the weld area before and during welding

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

PSpirine

posted on 7/12/11 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
I'm very pleased with my SIP one that I got from Halfords (!) on a Sunday evening. Again, always thought I wouldn't trust it, but it's just SO comfortable to be able to weld like that..
owelly

posted on 7/12/11 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
We use them in a work enviroment with no trouble as most of the time, each welder has his own screens up.
We always use ESAB but I bought a £25 special off ebay and its brilliant! The mask and headband is flimsy but the lens and gubbins fits in my 'normal' mask so when the cheapy thing falls to bits, I'll just pop it in the other one.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Simon

posted on 7/12/11 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
We use them in a work enviroment with no trouble as most of the time, each welder has his own screens up.
We always use ESAB but I bought a £25 special off ebay and its brilliant! The mask and headband is flimsy but the lens and gubbins fits in my 'normal' mask so when the cheapy thing falls to bits, I'll just pop it in the other one.

Concur with that. Been using auto d for years at work - would also recommend foot control for welding too.

ATB

Simon

martin1973

posted on 7/12/11 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
been using a sealey one for many years
no problems as many as 3 of us welding on 1 car/trailer at once no problems at all
it was expensive tho about 8 years ago, about £300
is solar powered and battery.

martin

matt_gsxr

posted on 7/12/11 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by martin1973
no problems as many as 3 of us welding on 1 car/trailer at once no problems at all

Oops, I think it was me who sold you that trailer!

martin1973

posted on 7/12/11 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
that trailer is fine mate, but it has had 1 or 2 mods
like brakes and a electric winch.

martin

Confused but excited.

posted on 7/12/11 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a new cheapo scabby £14 one at a car booty. Hasn't failed in five years.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

locogeoff

posted on 7/12/11 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
I've had a cheepo one for a couple of years. It's great but I still can't help closing my eyes before pulling the trigger.
Chippy

posted on 7/12/11 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a cheapo from ebay, worked fine for about five or six years, but the last time I went to use it wouldn't darken, mind you the workshop was freezing so may have been just the cold. Will try it again when the place is a bit warmer. Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.