Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: The 'best' engineers vice?
MikeCapon

posted on 10/12/11 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
The 'best' engineers vice?

OK so what is the best make of engineers vice to buy? In my job (building shocks) we get through a fair few vices. Either cracked castings or failed screws, so what make or model of vice will put up with lots of abuse?

Over here there are some decent makes but I am buying a lot of kit in the UK as it tends to be better and cheaper...

Looking on the web at the moment not much of the stuff I'm seeing really inspires confidence. I don't mind paying very good money if the vice is tough enough.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

PS 1000 posts!!!!!! Woohoo!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scootz

posted on 10/12/11 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
I like Record...

It's Evolution Baby!

Mark Allanson

posted on 10/12/11 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
All the old vice's (the ones which survive!) seem to be 'Record'

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

britishtrident

posted on 10/12/11 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
"Record" is the brand of choice but you can pay up to £1000 for an 8" mechanics/fitters vice.

Often big vices come up in factory and MOD auction sales so it is worth trying tool and equipment dealers.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Myke 2463

posted on 10/12/11 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
I bought myself a machine mart all steel vice, ok but seems a bit spongy compared to a cast one. Clarke CSVR150 - 150mm Steel Vice. At work we ordered a 150mm Record vice thinking uk made, arrived with a Record sticker over another label and paid record price. Well made but not a record as i was expecting.

Be Lucky Mike.

britishtrident

posted on 10/12/11 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Irwin now own Record ---- Irwin name used in other markets Irwin are a good quality brand --- their bolt grip sockets are ace.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

indykid

posted on 10/12/11 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
Used record vices on ebay/tool auctions/car boot would be my first choice.

I've got a record 25 (quick release) that I got on ebay for £20 and it's a seriously hefty bit of kit. Avoneer's had a record 6 from a car boot sale (non quick release screw) for a few years now and we've beat that to hell, mainly unseizing yacht shackles (including numerous 'pressing' operations with a 4' extension tube on the handle) and it's still working perfectly.

The quick release versions seem to be slightly more fragile than the fixed versions, but they're still very robust. Carriage might be expensive on a decent sized one though.....

designer

posted on 10/12/11 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
If buying new you want a Record Fitters vise, T23 (115mm) which is quick release.

You do not need an engineers vise as shockers is only lightweight work.

If buying second hand, any Record vise with 100mm jaws should do.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 10/12/11 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
I got a Record 112 with a shed and bench I bought for £100. The shed went ages ago but the vice is definitely staying.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

v8kid

posted on 10/12/11 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Bugatti if you have the money otherwise ex WD Record from Bills Tool Store

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

adithorp

posted on 10/12/11 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
I've got 3 different Record vices at work. All 3 are older than me and have had daily abuse all there lives way beyond anything they could have designed them for. If I was looking for a new one then I'd look for an old one, if you know what I mean.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

DIY Si

posted on 10/12/11 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
I spent ages looking for a good vice. Only to find a mate's dad was going to bin an old Record No 6 as it didn't open fully. So once I had filed off the ding on the back of the slide I had an old rock solid vice for £5!! The old Records will put up with anything. I use mine as a vice, for pressing bushes in and out and I have been known to use the slide as an anvil. And it's still just as good as the day I got it. And I expect it will be for years to come.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 10/12/11 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
I have a second hand record 75 which is a beautiful old bit of kit, they're not cheap though
but I picked mine up from the free adds for £15

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Confused but excited.

posted on 10/12/11 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
Given the choice, Record every time.
I mistakenly once bought one of China's finest, thinking a vice is a vice. No it ain't, they are crap!
Decent size -5in-6in- go for about £85 on the bay, but having said that, I recently bought a huge Parkinson's Model F, No 8, that's probably as old as me (someone's scratched Noah on it ) for £16 off the bay. So there are still bargains to be had, if you are not in a hurry.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

SausageArm

posted on 10/12/11 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
You all beat me to it, Record seems to be the vice of choice at work in factories and offshore, I prefer the ones with a clutch in them to allow quick movement of the jaws instead of having to wind the handle round and round.
lotusmadandy

posted on 10/12/11 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
I have a parkinsons no6 and a record 36p.
The record gets it hands down.

Andy

hughpinder

posted on 15/12/11 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
I've a Record type 75 which has been brilliant, but I bout it for about 1/3 normal price when my local Cromwell tools moved premises 20 years ago, but any of the forged ones by record with the anvil patch are pretty much indestructable (T114/T36/T112/T84...)- buy used if you can find one.
I've also heard good reviews for ridgid/peddinghaus vices (made in Germany)
Regards
Hugh

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.