Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bike Engine info required
Franksx2005

posted on 14/12/11 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
Bike Engine info required

Im new to the world of kit cars and looking to build one in the not to distant future. Im in the process of doing a bit of research and would love some advice.

I was originally looking to go down the rout of a CA18DET or SR20DET as ive had a lot to do with 200sx's but after some thought i have decided to go for a bike engine.

What i would like to know is what is the best bike engine to go for taking into account cost, reliability and of course power.

I think a carbed engine such as the early R1 would be ideal.

What do you think

Thanks

Frank

davestarck

posted on 14/12/11 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Frank

Just buy mine instead, lot less hassle!!

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3468628.htm

Hellfire

posted on 14/12/11 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
Frank, firstly welcome to the madhouse! Secondly, what sort of use do you want the car for?

Phil

Custardpants

posted on 14/12/11 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
As above - a good tuned CEC will be a more tactile road car - and a better choice if you're going to just use the car on normal roads. I'd go bike engine for track or if you have some truly great and quiet roads near you where you can rev the nuts off it. My busa engine only comes alive when the car is driven as designed - which only really possible on a good and very quiet road - otherwise its just hard work and not particularly smooth.
adithorp

posted on 14/12/11 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Custardpants
As above - a good tuned CEC will be a more tactile road car - and a better choice if you're going to just use the car on normal roads. I'd go bike engine for track or if you have some truly great and quiet roads near you where you can rev the nuts off it. My busa engine only comes alive when the car is driven as designed - which only really possible on a good and very quiet road - otherwise its just hard work and not particularly smooth.

Go wash your mouth out!

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

lotusmadandy

posted on 14/12/11 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
quote:
Originally posted by Custardpants

Go wash your mouth out!

Mint....

Wait a minute until i make a coffee

Andy

mark chandler

posted on 14/12/11 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Early R1's are ideal, as are early blades, cheap and with a simple baffle plate they last well on road or track,
There are better later engines, you need to consider use as track focus may mean big expense to control oil issues. Best to look at what the RGB racers are using to best effect these days.

Regards Mark

adithorp

posted on 14/12/11 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the madhouse, Frank.

If you have a search of old threads in the BEC section you'll find a few discussions on the subject of which engine.

Mine's an 06 injected R1. With a sump baffle and a couple of mods to the crank breather system it's been reliable for 13000 imles of both track and road use (including 2x 3000mile european tours) and makes 150bhp at the wheels.
R1's with either carbs or injection work well with the 03injection probably the most common.

Lot's of other choices. Only one to avoid is probably the Blackbird (oil issues).

There'll be loads of people along soon to try and talk you out of going BEC; Don't listen to them.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Franksx2005

posted on 15/12/11 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
Well i would like it mainly for track use but would like it to be road legal.

You talk about oil issues, is this due to the cornering forces starving the bottom end of oil?

I don't think people will put me off the BEC decision, I'm pretty sure that's the route i want to down.

roadrunner

posted on 15/12/11 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Frank, welcome to the site.
My Indy used to be CEC, but changing to a ZX9R was the best thing i have done car wise.
If I where you I would see if you can get a passenger ride in a BEC, even a lower powered engine goes very well.

By the way, my ZX9R engine is for sale if anyone is interested , £450 that includes looms ecu, chopped sump and air box.
Brad.

mark chandler

posted on 15/12/11 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Franksx2005
Well i would like it mainly for track use but would like it to be road legal.

You talk about oil issues, is this due to the cornering forces starving the bottom end of oil?

I don't think people will put me off the BEC decision, I'm pretty sure that's the route i want to down.

Oil issues are due to the oil sloshing to the side, when on a bike as it leans it stays around the pickup.

For common engines you can get billet sumps and swinging pickups that address this ~£200 - £400, engine such as early blades you can get away with just baffle plates ~£50 so do your home work.

Some engines such as busa engine may require a dry sump, this is a lot £££ the big problem that I see with this kind of system is that if the engine goes bang it may also screw up the dry sump pump.

Andy Bates would be a very good person to talk to about this, I have never seen a bad word against him, if you want a 'new' engine then Malc who can also do baffles etc.

For me it was cheap Ebay, if it goes bang get another the same, now on my third !

eddie99

posted on 15/12/11 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
As above, lots of options to choose from.

The early birds and r1's or the modern 1ltrs such as Zx10, CBR, GSXR.....

Best thing is to decide your budget and give Andy Bates a ring.... Hes sorted me out with the zx10 and is currently sorting me out with some more....

If you've got 4k to spend, i'm selling an 08 Busa lump....

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
hobbsy

posted on 15/12/11 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Frank,

I used to have a facelift S13 and then an S14a (with about 370bhp in the end). But had enough of them about 5 or more years ago (might be closer to 7 now?) and went the kit car route straight into BEC's.

Had a Fireblade Phoenix (ex-RGB race car) which I didn't fit into, then a Blackbird Fury which I blew up (and someone else blew up again just afterwards for me) then I got my current R1 (2003 5PW first injected model) Fury which I've had for at least 5 years have done 3x big European trips in it (one was cut a little short but that's a different story).

I'd say get passenger rides to confirm but unless you really want to potter around a BEC is the way forward I did 750miles in one day back in June (an hour south of Grenoble back to Northampton). So don't listen to the high rpm means unusable on the motorway. We also have photos of an R1 Phoenix towing my R1 Fury and the tow car was two up so they don't lack torque. In fact I know someone who has sheared 2x driveshafts - don't forget about primary reduction

Franksx2005

posted on 16/12/11 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all your input guys, it's been very useful and you have all been very friendly.

In general do you buy the engine before you start the build?

I am a complete novice to this and in the process of learning to weld so might be a while yet.

One last thing, I notice there is a lot of books about building a kit car, which one would you recommend?

Thanks

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.