Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: WLR Great IVA Fail
PeterV

posted on 15/12/11 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
WLR Great IVA Fail

The Day The Earth Stood Still (and then circled around a bit).

1. Date Line - 15 December 2011
  2. Location - Wrabness
  3. Destination - Norwich
  4. Mission - VOSA IVA

The day had come. The man from VOSA stood at the end of the inspection hall. His fingers stretching and clenching, itching to take hold of his sphere of doom. Again and again he tested his speed. Drawing his metal knee cap with amazing speed and dexterity from its holster on the wall to the imaginary object in the centre of the desolate remote shed. Just off the Norwich ring road near Comet!

But first the beast had to be woken from it’s restful slumber and dragged out into the frozen December darkness. Stirring the monster at 5am was not going to be easy so the decision was taken to tease the animal onto the car tailor the day before. Snarling spitting and only fitting with the introduction on 4” wood running planks, the creature was finally enticed on to the transporter. Damn ground clearance and high sided car trailers make this operation a absolute pain! The plan for the return trip was to load forward first with extra long ramp planks to prevent grounding.  

With the weather forecasting rain, wind and sleet (or snow) in the north there was an immediate problem. Would the beast accept these conditions without protest. Why antagonise? Strap the beast down and then cover it with a nice snug car cover to keep it warm yet still. Before letting the creature sleep for the night it was fed well with it’s favourite tipple, petroleum spiritus. As require it was fed to bursting point for the fully laidened weight test. Now rest by beauty, rest.

Bleep bleep..... 4am Beep bleep bleep.

By 5am we hit the road. No rain yet. No wind yet. It all bodes well. Errrm no, half way down the the A140 the car cover cries fowl and quickly departs company with most of the car. The tails and tatters that remain immediately grab the nearside wing mirror and and rip it from it’s moorings. 17 pieces later, the wing mirror ends it run for freedom under the giant wheels of a Turnners Logistics truck. On inspection the damage is minimal to the bodywork but a FAIL is now guaranteed. On closer inspection it is found that the beasts feeding tube has been left open. Petrol has sprayed liberally over the rear of the car and down into every crack and crevice it can find. A wipe down with a damp cloth is all that can be accomplished here, but what a mess. It is always the same, everyone you speak to says it. The last minute dash to prep the car the night before never fails to create a last minute problem.

Actually the man from VOSA just said “Proved the filler cap tether works” and that was it. By this time the nasty niff of petrol had subsided. Could have been due to the predicted rain hammering it down from the moment the beast arrived at the firmly locked VOSA gates. Unloading was a drab affair. As dawn broke the gates of Colditz swung silently open......

The test itself was actually amazing and I found myself enjoying the whole event. A VERY knowledgeable examiner was extremely helpful and a great guy to meet and chat to. The beast behaved impeccably and never once tried to bite the hand of the inspector. Everything went far better than good. But not perfect?

IVA The Results

1. Fail- Floor line radius
2. Fail- Steering Wheel Spoke radius
3. Fail- Top to dash radius
4. Fail- Off side head light alignment
5. Fail- Handbrake has little or no reserve
6. Fail- Rear view mirror coverage (even if both were there)
7. Fail- Steering self centring.
8. Recommendation- Grill the side pods behind the front wheels.

So items 1,2 & 3 are just need stick on trim to resolve, might go for a better cleaner look on the steering wheel.

Items 4 & 5 are just adjustment issues.

Item 8 is actually something I had pondered after watching just how much goop flies off the wheel and attacks the body work. The inspector made a few phone calls and advised that this “Would not be a fail at this time”. Ominous words for the future maybe?

This just leaves some replacement and re-sighted mirrors and a problem of front wheel alignment. The later is the biggest head ache and requires the most research. Little help please guys?

Oh I am a happy bunny..... I hope! As fails go this was a great one and not as horrific as my nightmares

HowardB

posted on 15/12/11 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
a great place to start,. good luck!

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

daniel mason

posted on 15/12/11 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
What was up with the mirrors?

PeterV

posted on 15/12/11 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Lost one side mirror on the way there! Not good.

But even so the wing mirror view could not see the lines (as marked out on the VOSA car park) because the rear wheel arches blocks the view nearest the body of the car.

I need to extend the mirrors up and out so that they clear the bodywork view completly.

Time to mark the driveway and 'P' the wife off........ Again!!

coyoteboy

posted on 15/12/11 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
What was the problem with the side pods? I'm feelin a bit thick and can't work it out from your words. Any pics?
PeterV

posted on 15/12/11 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Mr. IVA wants the area behind the front wheel (in reb box) to be mesh.

My impression is that it may be a new thing comming coz of the boom in exoskeleton type kits. Or it may be an inspector type thing, but he seemed very genuine to me.

Must admit I try not to second guess the next rule ???

Coopz

posted on 15/12/11 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
Well done sounds like a good fail! best of luck next time around whats your target retest date?
PeterV

posted on 15/12/11 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Coopz
Well done sounds like a good fail! best of luck next time around whats your target retest date?

End of Jan 2012. Depending on the steering geometry problem more than anything else. Can do the rest within a few days. But how many times have I said that

coyoteboy

posted on 16/12/11 at 12:47 AM Reply With Quote
Can't see how they could fail that but pass any normal 7-esque. though I suppose it does open up higher at the rear than a normal cycle wing would, would have thought the side pod would take the impacts rather than the driver though.
RK

posted on 16/12/11 at 01:57 AM Reply With Quote
What do you do for self centring?? Sounded all do-able to me though. Keep at it!
BobM

posted on 16/12/11 at 05:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
This just leaves some replacement and re-sighted mirrors and a problem of front wheel alignment. The later is the biggest head ache and requires the most research. Little help please guys?

I had the same issue - my car's geometry is specifically designed so the steering doesn't load up in high speed corners and as a consequence has absolutely zero self-centring. It has very minimal castor.

The advice my car's designer gave was:

1 - Reverse the direction of the steering arms on the uprights - Reason this will remove some of the Ackermann from the steering which will induce an increase in slip angle in the tyres when steered and therefore increase the self aligning torque - Reversing the steering arms will require the steering arms to be approx 10mm longer there should be sufficient thread engagement to allow this to be completed with the existing track rods

2 - Increase the amount of front toe in - recommend trying around 30-40 mins - This will create a slip angle and self aligning torque in the outer wheel on the initial part the steering movement whilst the inner wheel is still aligned to the direction of travel and therefore not generating an opposing force.

3 - Reduce tyre pressure - This will result in a small increase in pneumatic trail and therefore increase the self aligning torque.

Some of the above may be different to normal advice for improving self centring, this is due to most cars gaining significant self centring from the jacking effect due to the king pin angle, on the S3 this angle is very small and therefore this effect is negligible.

The second part of improving self centring is to produce a lower link with increased castor, I have prepared a design and now need to work out the quickest way to make a pair. However you may want try the first steps above and let me know if the improvement is noticeable or not, the first 2 steps will need to be in place for the new link to be effective.

I now have said pair of wishbones (lower links) and will hopefully get them fitted this weekend.

Eddie Ives did suggest giving the car toe out, I planned to bung him an email to ask for clarification.

Not very Locost but very BEC

snapper

posted on 16/12/11 at 07:03 AM Reply With Quote
Self centering for IVA only, pump up front tyres to 10psi higher than normal and set alignment to a little toe out.
Usually works.
To clarify, we were advised by the IVA tester that this often works and have applied this technique at least 3 times now at SVA and IVA at the testing station when self center was inadequate.
Eddie is a friend and a member of the Essex kit car club, this method is well known and used in our club.

[Edited on 16/12/11 by snapper]

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

PeterV

posted on 16/12/11 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers Bobm & Snapper all advice VERY gratefully received. I will try ideas and see what works, obviously start with the easiest and work up.

Trouble is I really do like the feel of the steering as is. It don't fight you and has point and shoot cornering at any speed or camber of bend. It is also very forgiving if you find you have to move a hand off the steering in mid corner (bad bad driver I know, but I'm still learning to tame the beasts power spread and keep ending up boost less!!)

This cars also going to look like Dumbo with the size and position of the rear view mirros. But needs must

Time to do some shopping for L shaped edge trim with a round profile and some massive stalk big bendy mirrors plus anyone know where to get a sponge centre of a Momo Steering wheel?
Mum can you sew this for me please

40inches

posted on 16/12/11 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PeterV
Time to do some shopping for L shaped edge trim with a round profile

I used No 10 Cope Moulding

snapper

posted on 16/12/11 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
The IVA setup we recomended is for self centering to pass the test, after IVA you are at liberty to reset the steering for your own personal preference.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

PeterV

posted on 16/12/11 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches

I used No 10 Cope Moulding

Cheers looks perfect! Will be placing my order today.

PeterV

posted on 16/12/11 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
The IVA setup we recomended is for self centering to pass the test, after IVA you are at liberty to reset the steering for your own personal preference.

Yep, that's what I was thinking as well If the simple route works then its no biggy to reset.

stevegough

posted on 16/12/11 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
That's a damn good fail, like the 'once upon a time' theme! Looks like the dragon will live and breathe legally before long? Keep at it and well done.

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

PeterV

posted on 22/2/12 at 12:23 AM Reply With Quote
Retest Set for the 29th Feb 2012 at Norwich. I phoned on 20th and they offered me a slot on the 21st I thought wow this was kind of prompt service. No way to get a trailor that quickly so settled for 29th.

Managed to get all the points sorted. I hope.
Self Centre was a B#tch. Moved top wishbone back by 4.3mm using shims which helped a little. Then added 5mm shim to the font of the bottom ball joint. This allowed the hub to rotate and let the top wishbone adjustment take full effect. Now have a good element of self centre, if not complete. Seems to quit the idea about half a turn away from centre so I may need to do some more work. I'm hoping with this "element of self centre" in the IVA book of words I have done enough. Time will tell.

Trailor booked so here we go again

HowardB

posted on 22/2/12 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
fingers crossed,..!

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

stevegough

posted on 22/2/12 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
Self - centering

I remember my tester saying - it doesn't actually have to self - centre, it just has to 'try' to do so.

I'll wish you good luck for the retest now as I am flying out for a month in OZ on the 29th....

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

PeterV

posted on 22/2/12 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevegough
I remember my tester saying - it doesn't actually have to self - centre, it just has to 'try' to do so.

I'll wish you good luck for the retest now as I am flying out for a month in OZ on the 29th....

Oh goody OZ ahy, just got back from walking the dogs in the freezing wind and rain and your off to OZ!

Thanks for the advice though, I'm counting on that sort of comment and documentation to get me through. Once passed I have a lot of stuff I want to do and better self centre is on the agenda big time now.

To start with I was happy with the dead weight feel but actually with self centre on hand getting out of slow corners is much faster now. You can get the power on much ealier and with a turbo thats mighty useful. So some fun work to do here.

Anyone got ideas what effect ride height has on things. Have about 1-1.5" of lowering available when test is out of the way just wondering what effects will be. I guess camber with change?

Black Cat

posted on 26/2/12 at 06:53 AM Reply With Quote
Good luck Peter.

I had my IVA at Norwich last week and it also failed on self-centreing amongst other things. The Examiner (Dennis) was very fair and helpful. He said that it only needs to attempt to self-centre to pass.

The other fail items were: -

1. Rear number plate bulb had blown. I had taken about 50 spare bulbs with me but no number plate bulb.
2. The rear fog light was working on side lights as well as main beam and dipped. Minor wiring alteration.
3. One of the front flexible break pipes touched the uprights when the steering was on full lock. Slight adjustment required.
4. The C02 emission was a little high. Could have adjusted this at the test but decided to leave it until the retest.

All in all not to bad a fail. should get the work completed next week then re-book test.

Regards

Steve

PeterV

posted on 26/2/12 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
Not a bad fail that Steve. Nice to know it's only adjustment work and no major build work isn't it. Cheers for the heads up on what Dennis is looking for. I think my beast is doing enough & am feeling good about everything else so fingers crossed

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.