Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: running shoes
skydivepaul

posted on 18/12/11 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
running shoes

i have just embarked on a 5K running plan and need some better trainers.
anyone recommend any cheap (good value) trainers for a novice runner?

http://www.smartideasuk.com
http://www.smartmapping.co.uk
HD CCTV
3D design solutions and integration
IP security systems
access control systems

scootz

posted on 18/12/11 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
Can't help fella... but you've just reminded me of a cracking old Billy Connolly joke!

BBC crew are in Africa filming a Lion tucking into a gazelle carcass.

The lion looks up at them and roars.

The cameraman goes into his rucksack, pulls out a pair of running shoes and slips them on.

The sound guy looks at him with a smile and says, 'what are you putting them on for... you'll never outrun a lion'.

The cameraman replies, "f**k the lion... as long as I outrun you, then I don't care!'

It's Evolution Baby!

monck

posted on 18/12/11 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
My old man has always used Asics for years he even did an 80 mile race with them in his younger days so they must be comfy i cant even get my head round running 80 miles non stop let alone do it 3 years in a row ...

He currently has some ASICS GT2160's they can be found for around £60 not cheap i know but i bought a pair of 2160's also and believe me it improved my running greatly ...

If £60 is to much... They still sell the 2150's witch are just the older version and around £35 i think ....

Just google each shoe and im sure you wil hear nothing but good reviews

Heres an example of ones i have cheaper than what i payed

http://www.startfitness.co.uk/product.asp?strParents=&CAT_ID=0&P_ID=42563&strPageHistory=search&numSearchStartRecord=1

Dont know if that helps but i would defiantly consider Asics ....

Ryan

daniel mason

posted on 18/12/11 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
I like the adidas kanadia, especially if your gonna be running on mud and grass.

Coopz

posted on 18/12/11 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
I use Reebok Zigs http://www.reebok.com/GB/product?modelId=NC033&articleId=V58283 and I didn't buy them because they matched the kit car honest....
Confused but excited.

posted on 18/12/11 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
Only tried Reeboks once, they ruined my feet. Not that I do any running any more.
Chiropodist said they had done tests on all sorts of trainers, when she was doing her degree at Manchester. Reeboks came in near the bottom. In her considered opinion, they were crap.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

vinny1275

posted on 18/12/11 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
Don't take any advice on what's good for other people's feet and running style - get yourself to a running shop which does gait analysis, and get a pair which fits properly and cushions you in the right places. I started out wearing cheap ones and kept injuring myself until I got fitted for a proper pair - I do at least a hundred miles a month in them now with no problems......

Greenie

posted on 18/12/11 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
I do two 8k runs a week and just bought a pair of ASICS GEL this week, paid £60, which is about an average price for decent running shoes, dont buy crap...... Good luck!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
skydivepaul

posted on 18/12/11 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
cheers guys.
asics look like the brand i will be googling this week

cherrs paul

http://www.smartideasuk.com
http://www.smartmapping.co.uk
HD CCTV
3D design solutions and integration
IP security systems
access control systems

cliftyhanger

posted on 18/12/11 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
Noooooooo

do not buy from internet advice. I was running 20-30 miles a week in shoes that let my poor feet move. A 20 minute session in "the sweatshop" (15% off at the moment with a voucher) and I got a pair of shoes that gave my feet really good stability. Felt odd at first, but I am increasing mileage and no injuries at all. Plus I got a couple of extra pairs of identical (that is important bit) afterwards when they were on offer, they will be used within a year.......

BTW my initial shoes 7 years agop were bought from a proper shop, asaics ones, and they were fine at the time, but my gait had changed, and it started to cause a few injuries. Ihad just been buying the same model shoe.

I reckon £60will see you right. Money well spent. And get some thorlos socks. They are brilliant.

indykid

posted on 18/12/11 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
Like cameras, buy running shoes from running shoe people.

Asics, Saucony, Brooks, Newton etc etc. Avoid the generic sports brands Nike/Adidas/Reebok etc

I've got some Saucony omni 7s which have served me well for triathlons and a couple of 10ks. As has been said though, go to a proper running shop and ask them what they'd recommend. Different shoes offer different support.

If you want to dabble in POSE technique, apparently a good way to avoid injury, you want to be looking for shoes with thin soles and very little heel to force you onto the midfoot. It's something Avoneer tells me I should try, but I just run..... In which case, Brooks, Newtons or Vibrams would be where you want to be looking.

James

posted on 19/12/11 at 02:39 AM Reply With Quote
As Clifty and Vinny have said.... go to a proper running shop where they have a gait testing machine.

Then they can actually test your style and offer you the correct shoe for you. It's great that people on here have found good shoes for themselves but it's important to get the right shoes for you.

The joy of proper running shoes is they're way cheaper than your Nikes/Reebok's or other such fashionista crap!

Good luck with the runs, start slowly and build up and take plenty of rest days in between. No point killing yourself on day 1 so that you don't want to go out running again and your shiny new shoes end up in the cupboard under the stairs gathering dust!

Good Luck with it!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

eznfrank

posted on 19/12/11 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
Another vote for Asics as a general brand but as above running shoes are such a specific thing it's easy to get it wrong and if you do it's a pain in the ass (well, foot but you know what i mean)
bartonp

posted on 19/12/11 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
As others have said - get your gait analysed. Get first pair of shoes there, then buy same type (but in last year's 'style' online if bothered about wasting money.
Change regularly - 6-8 months or 600-800 miles.
I do ~40 miles a week, have a neutral gait, am lightweight (10.5 st) and use New Balance 662 or similar as they are light with minimal support, no energy absorbing gel crap, and well-ventilated.

Good luck.
Phil.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.