Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: B+E test
phelpsa

posted on 18/12/11 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
B+E test

I will be doing my B+E in the new year in our auto Discovery 2.

Looking at the DVLA website on the matter:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensi...

under 'Rules for the car you use for your test' it refers us to the 'Rules for cars used for driving tests', which states:

'Using a manual or automatic vehicle
You can take your driving test in either a manual or automatic vehicle. However, if you pass your test in an automatic you'll only get a licence to drive an automatic.
For driving test purposes:
manual vehicles have three pedals – accelerator, brake and clutch
automatic vehicles have two pedals'

Is that the case for the B+E? Does it mean that I will only be able to tow with an automatic vehicle or are the DVLA a bunch of muppets?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 18/12/11 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Muppets, my wife has CBT on her licence despite never having riden a bike of any kind

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

morcus

posted on 18/12/11 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
I'd guess it does probably mean you'd only be able to tow using an auto because you wouldn't have shown you can work the clutch and select the right gears.

You won't get a decent answer without contacting the DVLA or a driving school, the latter probably being your best option.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

kevmcdo

posted on 18/12/11 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Only with an auto I am afraid.
That's why most any training centre you goto use manual cars.

phelpsa

posted on 18/12/11 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
Just to point out that I do already hold a full UK Manual license.

Will have to track down a manual tow car then it would appear. Annoying!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mookaloid

posted on 18/12/11 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
Call your test centre and ask

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

phelpsa

posted on 18/12/11 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
Call your test centre and ask

Good call sir. It was my plan anyway just wanted to see if anyone had a definitive answer first.

computid

posted on 18/12/11 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey
Muppets, my wife has CBT on her licence despite never having riden a bike of any kind

A CBT doesn't get recorded on your licence though. You can have the provisional categories but they're not valid without taking a CBT which comes in the form of a certificate and (as far as im aware) doesn't ever get marked on your photo card or counter part.

StevieB

posted on 18/12/11 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by computid
quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey

A CBT doesn't get recorded on your licence though. You can have the provisional categories but they're not valid without taking a CBT which comes in the form of a certificate and (as far as im aware) doesn't ever get marked on your photo card or counter part.

That's right, it's just another piece of paper to carry around.

And it's not even a test, just a certificate to say you've attended the appropriate training.

Stott

posted on 18/12/11 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
Can I just ask for what reason are you taking the test?

If it's to tow a locost about on a trailer then you should be able to do that on a STD cat B.

Peteff

posted on 18/12/11 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
A CBT is a certificate of compulsory basic training which is a stand alone qualification and expires after 2 years. On older licenses there was a section which qualified you to ride a moped without L plates under category P and also acts as a provisional for motorcycle but you still need the CBT. My wife has it although she has never ridden a motorised 2 wheel vehicle in her life.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Simon

posted on 18/12/11 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StevieB
And it's not even a test, just a certificate to say you've attended the appropriate training.

Well, it is a test, because you can fail it if your riding ain't up to scratch

ATB

Simon

owelly

posted on 18/12/11 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
You can't fail the CBT. You just don't get the certificate unless you're up to scratch!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

phelpsa

posted on 18/12/11 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stott

If it's to tow a locost about on a trailer then you should be able to do that on a STD cat B.

Not a 1600kg MAM enclosed trailer behind a 3.5tonne motorhome

DRC INDY 7

posted on 18/12/11 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
Im one of the lucky old ones because i have on my licence B,BE,C1,C1E,D1,D1E, fklnp all up to 2042

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

owelly

posted on 18/12/11 at 11:45 PM Reply With Quote
I have 'the full set' but my photo license expires next year! They need renewing every ten years!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

MakeEverything

posted on 18/12/11 at 11:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
quote:
Originally posted by StevieB

Well, it is a test, because you can fail it if your riding ain't up to scratch

ATB

Simon

Training being a loose term...

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Stott

posted on 18/12/11 at 11:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phelpsa
quote:
Originally posted by Stott

Not a 1600kg MAM enclosed trailer behind a 3.5tonne motorhome

Point taken, so you're one of the posh buggers who turns up with their wheels on a rack above the car and gas rams to lift your trailer lid! Lol

stevebubs

posted on 19/12/11 at 01:34 AM Reply With Quote
Am I the only one that read "Breaking and Entering" into B&E and got concerned?
coozer

posted on 19/12/11 at 03:38 AM Reply With Quote
If you take the test in an automatic you'll end up like this

B
BE (automatics only)

And, dont forget its a full on driving test, after you've done the manoeuvres in the yard your out on the road for a driving test.

Its exactly the same as an artic test at the heavy goods centre with the VOSA testers.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

mad-butcher

posted on 19/12/11 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
Thank fcuk I got mine under the old system then.
luke

posted on 19/12/11 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
I did my test back in april and got given the choice of using one of their cars or my own. went for my own and got 30 quid knocked off the price.

The test is quite gruelling. its an hout and half driving including a hitch unhitch, reverse and hill start. youre still only allowed 16 minors like in the standard test.

Are you having any lessons? I had two half days and was very beneficial. its amazing how many bad habbits you pick up in 5 years of driving!

phelpsa

posted on 19/12/11 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by luke
I did my test back in april and got given the choice of using one of their cars or my own. went for my own and got 30 quid knocked off the price.

The test is quite gruelling. its an hout and half driving including a hitch unhitch, reverse and hill start. youre still only allowed 16 minors like in the standard test.

Are you having any lessons? I had two half days and was very beneficial. its amazing how many bad habbits you pick up in 5 years of driving!

Very useful info! Will contact the test centre and see if they have a vehicle to use. I was planning on practising with my dad then getting a local driving instructor to sit in for a couple of hours to assess my general test driving (bloody mirrors!)

Simon

posted on 19/12/11 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
You can't fail the CBT. You just don't get the certificate unless you're up to scratch!

Well, as an ex m/c instructor who used to take people (for about 8 years) for their CBT training and issue certificates or not, if their riding - because part of the cbt was an on road assessment - wasn't up to scratch, they wouldn't get a ticket. Bit like a driving test, or can't you not fail that either

ATB

Simon

Ninehigh

posted on 20/12/11 at 06:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly

Isn't that what fail means?

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.