Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Caller ID & splitters
Hellfire

posted on 21/12/11 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
Caller ID & splitters

I have caller ID on my home phone but when I connect the phone through a splitter (connected to an ADSL filter) I lose caller ID for some reason. I need the splitter to be able to connect both my phone and Sky and would also like to keep caller ID. Can anyone offer any advice? Do I need a new splitter or do some ADSL filters have two telephone ports?

Phil

mark chandler

posted on 21/12/11 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
Caller ID is a few tones sent to line that the phone interprets, the filter is trying to hard so get another.
RichardK

posted on 21/12/11 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
Change all your filters for decent quality filters would be my first suggestion, seem to agree ish here

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 21/12/11 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
I only have one filter fitted and it is a good quality filter (ADSL Nation XF-1e) The splitter is then plugged into the phone connection on the filter for Sky & telephone. Caller ID works fine when plugged directly into the filter, so it appears to be the splitter that's causing the issue. Are ADSL filters available with two telephone ports?

Phil

macc man

posted on 21/12/11 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
I have 2 caller id phones and several sockets all connected together with no problems. Might be worth installing another LJU instead of a splitter. As you may be aware broad band does not like star wiring of sockets it slows the signal down. You need to wire in a daisy chain pattern.
Hellfire

posted on 21/12/11 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Another LJU is not an option at the moment. What alternatives do I have? I could try a different splitter but I don't see how that would resolve things. Only other thing I could do is disconnect Sky......

Phil

sky12042

posted on 21/12/11 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Have you tried it without the sky line in but still going throught the splitter, it could be the sky box causing the problem as they use a 56k modem.

Andy

Hellfire

posted on 22/12/11 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
Just tried it without Sky connected but still going through the splitter. No caller ID, therefore it must be the splitter. Is it possible the splitter could be faulty and would a better quality one cure the problem?

Phil

[Edited on 22-12-11 by Hellfire]

bmseven

posted on 22/12/11 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
it WILL be your filter

BMW 7 Resource
Bures Pit anyone?

Hellfire

posted on 22/12/11 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
But it's a good quality filter (allegedly) and caller ID works fine without the splitter connected. How can I tell for sure if it's the splitter or the filter and more importantly, can I fix it with a different filter/splitter and if so which ones?

Phil

bmseven

posted on 23/12/11 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
No rhyme or reason in what works and doesnt but it is quite common (google it)

BMW 7 Resource
Bures Pit anyone?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.