Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: which cage mounted camera?
daniel mason

posted on 1/1/12 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
which cage mounted camera?

any decent quality cage mounted cameras at the moment for not massive money. been looking at gopro but they seem very expensive

Steve Hignett

posted on 1/1/12 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
You get what you pay for...
dlatch

posted on 1/1/12 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
buy cheap buy twice

also now the new go pro HD has a external mic point so you could record without the horrible wind noise issue

it's a must buy for me once my kit is on the road

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mr_pr

posted on 1/1/12 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Go Pro, absolutely excellent and can be used in so many different ways. Worth getting the HD Hero2 if you can afford it, if not the 2 offers a very good camera for the cost.

The 2 allows you to alter the FOV, frame rate and resolution independently which is very nice.

My Build Progress

welderman

posted on 2/1/12 at 01:12 AM Reply With Quote
Can't fault the go pro. I've got the normal one and hd one. Both excellent cameras

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

Tommy P

posted on 2/1/12 at 03:19 AM Reply With Quote
I've got the same as welderman. I'm selling the normal lens one, which has only been used once (£100 if your interested ), to fund buying a HD one which are about £230. Check out the video link to see the quality.

OULTON PARK TRACK DAY VIDEO
http://youtu.be/-d99GbTnuuY

franky

posted on 2/1/12 at 06:04 AM Reply With Quote
The go pro's do offer a good solution but you'd get just as good a picture out of a nice pal set-up for less cash. what size screen are you wanting to play it back on?
snapper

posted on 2/1/12 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
The GoPro is without doubt a very good solution and when compared with the data logging race setups a great price.
What you have to rationalise is price over quality, if you are only going to watch it on a pc screen or a smart phone you don't need HD or even high res.
I bought a cheap £20 lipstick which works very well the problem is the 5 min record length then it splits the video.
Cheap solution though.
A lot of the small cams are still very good but as said you get what you pay for.

Sound is a big issue and with camcorders I always run an external mic out of air flow.
I have used a digital sound recorder in the footwell and dubbed sound over video in edit as I think there is nothing worse than wind noise or no engine noise.

News that the GoPro has a mic socket is good news.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

orton1966

posted on 2/1/12 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
Non HD Bullet Cam

Go for one of the non-HD set ups, bullet cams etc. Everyone is going HD now but the better non-HD stuff can do full dvd quality which will work on any screen size. Plus the resulting files are more manageable (size) when editing etc
loggyboy

posted on 2/1/12 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
Just pick up a cheap digital camera (£50 tops), almost all have video and sound. Alternativly a nowmal HD camcorder, I picked up mine for £150 and can use it for more than just a car camera.
Then make up your own mount, My bro made this complicated one, but the design would be easiy to simplfy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08TVeGw55iw

I used my 8 year old 640x480 nikon digital camera on a £7 sucker mount to take almost all my incar youtube clips:
THe outside wheel clips were on a SD bullet cam with a JVC handycam (with a video input, which not many camera have)
Bearing in mind that youtube downgraded the uploaded to 360 resolution.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDYJCNmmFA0&list=PLBD4BA8188D8D5CB9&feature=plcp&context=C38cffceFDOEgsToPDskKehC9IMI5LhxnHCOGqojhJ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKK7ARypMqM

[Edited on 2/1/12 by loggyboy]

franky

posted on 2/1/12 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
also don't get caught up on having HD as its not proper HD anyway as that's 1080P and runs at 3G.
loggyboy

posted on 2/1/12 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by franky
also don't get caught up on having HD as its not proper HD anyway as that's 1080P and runs at 3G.
just a
Isnt 3G the type of mobile connection, and nothing to do with HD itself.

gingerprince

posted on 2/1/12 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
I use a contourgps, but they have a cheaper model now the contour roam. Still does 1080p but only at 30fps, which gives a rolling shutter effect on fast panning.

The gps as well as the contour+ do 720p at 60fps which gives a much more fluid video. The + also has external Mic connection.

Some say the picture etc in the gopros is better than the contours, and it may be, but there's not much in it.

For me, I wanted the form factor (the gopro looks stoopid on a snowboard helmet whereas the contours do not). They're Bluetooth enabled too so you can use android or iPhone to configure and as a viewfinder to line it up.

franky

posted on 2/1/12 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:
Originally posted by franky
just a
Isnt 3G the type of mobile connection, and nothing to do with HD itself.

I meant 3G as in the bandwidth, 3 Gig.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.