Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Imp Engine Bike Carbs
001Ben

posted on 3/1/12 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
Imp Engine Bike Carbs

Hi all just wondering if you would be able to help me out with a little project Im doing. Its a turboed imp engine which I have decided due to space limitations that I want to use a set of bike carbs (not Injection TB’s) as my old metro SU carb will no longer fit.

If possible could someone recommend a certain type/make/model of carb which will work with pressurised air, between 10-15psi? Ive been looking around the internet and have found information, in the end confusing me more and more!

Are there any carbs out there considered to be smaller than others in depth, physical size? (not choke etc) As I need to consider the shape and size of the required plenum chamber that I can fit in.

Due to engine size and normal choke size I think a set of 600cc bike carbs will be best suited to the engine, can anyone confirm this too??

Many thanks in advance

britishtrident

posted on 3/1/12 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Unless the engine has a Wills rings conversion and a block reinforcing plate I would forget supercharging an Imp engine, even then I would advise against it.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Strontium Dog

posted on 3/1/12 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
When Janspeed fitted a turbo to the Metro they used a SU but stuck it to the side of the engine over the clutch housing as there was not much room in the bay and a pipe to the manifold.

If you do use bike carbs then some off a 600cc bike should be about right but will be a lot harder to set up than one single SU. Also, with over a bar of boost you will, I would have thought, need supporting mods to your engine. I know very little about Imp engines but I would suspect the bottom end might need strengthening and I would think it would need a multi plate steel head gasket etc to stand a chance of hanging in there!

Cheers Si.

[Edited on 3/1/12 by Strontium Dog]

http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x319/zephyr2000/General%20forum%20uploads/?action=view¤t=3DEngine.mp4

imp paul

posted on 3/1/12 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
you could use low compression talbot sunbeam head .with hepolite or custom cp or je pistons wills rings block kit phosphor bronze oil pump kit .talbot 930 block as its better and stronger with more webs and some nice 36mm carbs have seen a few fast engines like this that are turboed hope all goes well you could talk to ben boult he is a top chap and he lives imp engines

good luck
paul

here is 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvcTFlWVKUw

[Edited on 3/1/12 by imp paul]

chrisimp

posted on 3/1/12 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Hi all,

Ben posted that for me as I hadnt managed to go through the registration for this site which I have just done.

thank so far for the input, regarding wills ring and block strengthening, its just not needed, its overkill for a turbo engine which in comparison to an imp N/A engine due to the low revs used (6k compared to 11k)

Heres my car which one person will recognise.

And heres the engine bay shot from a year or two ago, it kept changing but you get the idea, ran for 4 years no issues and great fun

Now My new issue is that the imp has lost its engine to my new G15 project and the imps getting rebuilt to HSA modified regulations going to run N/A 1040 twin webers etc etc with lots of internal engine mods including ones mentioned above.

Imp now currently looks like this..... a little shorter

Im rebuilding it with a different kit from Paul.

The ginetta is the main issue in regards to carb selection due to the chassis legs being closer to the engine meaning the SU carb wont fit (sold on to fund other things) so now looking for another smaller neater solution.

pictures so far

new smaller turbo than the imp set up, Im going for a slightly lower psi on this one 10psi not 14 the imp ran at, but this time its on megajolt

So basically when it comes to the whole imp engine and turbos im pretty clued up and have learnt a great deal over the years but never looked into the use of bike carbs before or megajolt for that matter haha, lots to learn once again but hopefully you guys will be able to help, ben seems to think you will be able to

Thanks again guys for your input so far, look forward to hearing more and hopefully getting somewhere to getting fuel back in my engine lol.

Cheers
Chris

imp paul

posted on 3/1/12 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
hello mate and welcome to the site lots of good people on here. its easy going and all sorts of builds this is the home of my imp more so than the imp club . looks like you have got the bug lose the steel lol

cheers paul

001Ben

posted on 3/1/12 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the site Chris.

The chaps and chapettes on here are very knowledgeable and will be able to answer most questions, as you will find out as you spend some more time on here. So come on all, which bike carbs are suitable for Chris's application

imp paul

posted on 3/1/12 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
Early r1carbs seem to be good for use with turbo motors that is a good starting point so its seems also locost lol here is a bit of info on the r1 set up http://www.turbo-bike.net/

[Edited on 4/1/12 by imp paul]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.