Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: steering wheel's and harness'
speedygonzales

posted on 6/1/12 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
steering wheel's and harness'

Firstly, what a great forum. I've been a member for a while now but think it's time for my first post.

I've just ordered myself a Momo formula 27 steering wheel for my kit car and was wondering whether this wheel is acceptable for IVA? My main concern is that there isn't any padding in the centre of the wheel (which I think is a requirement). I want to fit flappy paddles so using the donor wheel isn't going to work as the diameter of the wheels is quite different. I've seen loads of kit cars without padding in the centre of the wheel on the road so are these all retro fitted? Any ideas?

Secondly I'd like to fit a 6 point harness for the driver side. I know its probably overkill for a road car that will do the occasional track day, but has anyone got experience of fitting a six point harness and did they have any IVA issues? The harness I want to use is the Sabelt Ultralight 6 Point Single Seater Harness. It has short shoulder straps which I need for my installation.

Cheers in advance.

Stott

posted on 6/1/12 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
For the steering wheel just make a pad from a bit of plywood covered in foam and then vinyl. Before you trim it, mark out the wood and drill two opposite holes that will line up with the holes on the wheel/boss. Then put 2 longer bolts through the wood and fix them using either epoxy or chiselled out recesses to stop the heads turning.

Then when you fit the wheel to the boss, use 4 of the 6 normal bolts, then finish off by offering your pad up to bolt through the lot.

My car passed IVA like this.

As for the harness, I have no personal experience of 6 points but as long as all 6 mounting points re deemed secure and the effective upper anchorage point is within the rules in the manual then there should be no issue.

Alternatively, incorporate the mounts for the crotch strap in your chassis but only fit it post test.

ATB
Stott

Edit: Hello, welcome along and all that jazz, how rude of me

[Edited on 6/1/12 by Stott]

macc man

posted on 6/1/12 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Why not do what most builders do and present for IVA with stock items fitted and change for what you realy want after it has passed. Saves a lot of hassel.
Stott

posted on 6/1/12 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Because he's using paddle shift
speedygonzales

posted on 7/1/12 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks stott. That is a good idea for the steering mod. Should be quite quick and cheap to do
mark w

posted on 23/1/12 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
Steering wheel solution

Thats a good solution & I'll be doing something along the lines of this as I'm using a kliktronic with electronic jaguar paddles mounted to the boss, any ideas on the size diameter the padding has to be?
BobM

posted on 24/1/12 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
Is there actually a requirement for any padding? my inspector didn't comment on that, was happy so long as I had a collapsible boss and met radius requirements.

Not very Locost but very BEC

speedygonzales

posted on 24/1/12 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BobM
Is there actually a requirement for any padding? my inspector didn't comment on that, was happy so long as I had a collapsible boss and met radius requirements.

I've copied the following from the IVA manual:

Steering wheel construction:
It is vital that the wheel is constructed so as to minimise the risk of facial injuries or concussion. The rim of the wheel should be padded or at least made from a material which when deformed does not splinter or fragment. The centre boss should be padded or recessed below the level of the rim. Wheels with a very deep dish are stiffer than flatter wheels and, as such will absorb less energy.

The centre boss will often be of a collapsible type comprising a convoluted crushable section or a series of metal fingers with a deliberate fold introduced to initiate a collapse.

Bolts used to secure the wheel to its boss (if exposed) should ideally be flush with the wheel surface but otherwise are required to meet the radius requirements if contactable.

Bare metal spokes are allowed as long as they conform to the edge radius requirements. Components likely to catch in the driver’s clothing or jewellery are not permitted.

......so I suppose you could get away with it if the rim is above the centre boss (and if you get a nice IVA inspector). I think I will pad the centre of my wheel though just in case, as I'd rather be sure it will pass.

BobM

posted on 24/1/12 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedygonzalesThe centre boss should be padded or recessed below the level of the rim

There we are :-)

Can't actually recall seeing a wheel where the boss isn't recessed below the rim given that most of the rims are quite thick.

speedygonzales

posted on 24/1/12 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
Well although you may be technically right, I don't know how far you would get if you were to argue your case with the inspector over this point. Maybe there are people on here that could confirm whether they were failed for not having padding in the centre of the wheel? If the centreline of the rim is lying on the same plane as the centre boss (which in my case it is) i wouldn't say that it was recessed intentionally by design, which I think is what they are getting at. I could be wrong?

I also think that my wheel wouldn't pass on the edge radius test.

[Edited on 24/1/12 by speedygonzales]

BobM

posted on 25/1/12 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Clearly much of this is down to the individual inspector. Like I said my local one (Llantrisant) was happy with my Momo wheel without me adding any trim.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.