Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Parking Issues
ash_hammond

posted on 8/1/12 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
Parking Issues

I live in a small cul de sac which is tight on parking but manageable if people park sensibly.

A year ago a woman bought a house on the street and allows her boyfriend to trade cars from her house, (5 cars last year) , which makes parking a nightmare as he leaves the cars on the street and does not use the drive or garage.

A while back, I came home to find the boyfriend had borrowed my drive. I told him to shift in a polite manner.

Tonight I came home to find the cars parked across my drive. The Mrs got out and asked them to move so we could park on our drive.

What are the rules on people buying and selling cars / trading from a home address?

Advice welcome...

.: www.mac1motorsports.co.uk | www.m1moc.com :.

scootz

posted on 8/1/12 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure about the 'selling legislation', but the cars DO have to be taxed and insured if they're sat on the street!

It's Evolution Baby!

ashg

posted on 8/1/12 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
they can sell up to 12 i think. as for parking across your drive they are allowed to do that too as long as they are not blocking in a parked car

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

T66

posted on 8/1/12 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure on what regs there are, the cars when parked on a road are an obstruction.

You have done the right thing keeping it simple and polite, If it were me at my home I would politely point out its irritating and anti social what they are doing. If there decent, they might start respecting you live there too !

There may well be regulations round business at home ie trading, I do not know for sure. However I would strongly suspect their traders insurance may not be valid for a number of vehicles parked on public roads. Are they taxed ? MOT ? etc .....if not the insurance may not cover them.

I was speaking with some Traffic Cops recently, who spend a lot of time investigating insurance policies, which at first appear current & valid, however once the company has been contacted, what has actually been stated to the company by the applicants are rarely correct. Ie parking, no claims, tax, and terms of use as a business trader. If the address is not registered as a business adddress , then again with some digging their insurance may not be valid. IE they have provided some white lies, while submitting their application.

Once this is disclosed then the insurers will shaft them, only way this course of action can be done is with the support of a sufficiently interested Cop. Not the top of their priorities, but possibly so if the rest of the street is sick of them too.

If you know any local traffic cops (is there such a thing) have a word in his ear.

graememk

posted on 8/1/12 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
invite all of the locosters over for a bbq and let us know what house to park outside of.
coozer

posted on 8/1/12 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Get us all to come round and block the cul sac out, have a party and barbe Q.. when he comes round tell him to 'go away'

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Ninehigh

posted on 8/1/12 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
If he's selling cars why not start putting up some adverts for weasels, dogs, send pizza to his house, sign him up for all manner of shhhhht? He might give up trying to sell them if 5 out of 7 calls are about the wardrobe

Ben_Copeland

posted on 8/1/12 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
He borrowed your drive???? as in parked directly on it?

F*ck me, if that was me i would of stuck a clamp on it and fined him

The police apparently DO have powers to remove cars blocking driveways in or out.

I'd talk to the council, i did once and got a very polite helpful reply about this exact matter. There wasnt much they could do unless there is proof (he was using private land and not public road). They can write the person letters though threatening action.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

ash_hammond

posted on 8/1/12 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
Yes he parked directly on my drive... BBQ sounds like a great idea.. Keep you posted!!

.: www.mac1motorsports.co.uk | www.m1moc.com :.

mark chandler

posted on 8/1/12 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
Look for expired tax discs, everytime you see one report it, once a couple of cars have been lifted he will look elsewhere to dump his stuff.
Ben_Copeland

posted on 8/1/12 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Middle of the night, let all the tyres down.... he'll soon get pissed off with having to pump up all his tyres again and again

How to report an abondoned vehicle

[Edited on 8/1/12 by Ben_Copeland]

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

coyoteboy

posted on 8/1/12 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
If he'd parked on my drive I'd have been more than a tad angry too. In fact I'd be tempted to remove it with a 4x4 and a chain round an axle, then deny all knowledge afterwards.
mad4x4

posted on 8/1/12 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
BBQ me thinks

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

rusty nuts

posted on 8/1/12 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Inland Revenue may be interested even if it was only 5 cars last year as he may well be selling at other locations .
owelly

posted on 8/1/12 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Have quick looksy on ASKMID and see if any cars have a valid insurance..... Quick call to crimestoppers. He'll soon get the message.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
austin man

posted on 8/1/12 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
My understanding is that parking across a drive which has an approved dropped kerb is an offence if you are not the occupier of the property. If you have not had your kerb lowered with authorisation by the council you are breaking the law as you in theory have no right to cross the causeway

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

hootsno1

posted on 8/1/12 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Post his number and what cars he has for sale and we can all call him at all hours make an appointment to view a car and not turn up saying i could not find the adress then call back appologies for not turning and make another appointment and not turn up again

If a little hammer won't fix it get a bigger hammer

morcus

posted on 9/1/12 at 01:21 AM Reply With Quote
Get as many of your neighbours involved as possible as your not likely to get anywhere on your own.

It might be worth going round and asking if his cars are insured as no trade policy is going to allow you to park on the road, and it's six points for driving without insurance on the spot so logically he'd be due more than enough for a driving ban.

Stay civil and don't do anything illegal, it's not worth the risk though if the rest of your neighbours feel the same way your not likely to get done for vandalism, though if he's parked on your drive it's a civil matter, And I'd look into having the car impounded as I'm fairly sure you can at his expense.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

RickRick

posted on 9/1/12 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
i'd have parked across your own drive, blocked him in then gone to the pub
r1_pete

posted on 9/1/12 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
Let us all have his number, we can arrange viewings then decline after the event because we couldn't get parked.

But seriously, as others have said, keep an eye on tax discs, call plod for any irregularities, and basically just cause as much grief for him as you can within the law.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mistergrumpy

posted on 9/1/12 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
I have 2 car salemen working from home next door but one to each other and across the road. There's cars all over, except in front of their own house of course! I've had to stop my Dad from parking under their windows a few times simply to keep the peace. I value having good neighbours and one of the addresses is rented anyway to my knowledge plus the fellas past generally catches up with him and he goes eventually so I bite the bullet in that respect.
I do check his cars regularly for tax which he keeps on top of. I have, before I was a cop, called Crimestoppers regards an uninsured car on the road outside my brothers that was being used daily for the school run. They told me straight out they weren't interested as I couldn't prove anything (ASKmid seemingly wasn't considered good enough).
As for blocking access to your driveway well only a few weeks ago I went to a similar job at work. Ticket on the window and managed to contact the owners boyfriend to find her and get her to move it before I towed it which she did sharpish as I was driving away. She still kept the fine mind it's just utter ignorance to block someone like that.
There is an issue though with someone parking on your driveway in that it's your private land. The police check the vehicles not nicked and then it's your problem to solve in a civil matter. Bit rubbish for the driveway owner but there you go.

jossey

posted on 9/1/12 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
check all the cars have insurance or they get towed :O)

MIB will tell you if they do or not....

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

scudderfish

posted on 9/1/12 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
"You parked your car on my driveway? I assumed it was an anonymous donation to my art collective. It's a central part of a new installation we're calling 'spare parts listed on ebay'"

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.